Relativity and E=mc^2 (1 Viewer)

Axio

=o
HSC
How does the equivalence of energy and mass () really fit in to the topic of special relativity?

Is it to do with mass dilation?

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
Yeah it's got to do with mass dilation, let me take an extract of what I posted in another thread

Not possible due to mass dilation, you would literally reach a mass of infinity as you approach the speed of light.

If you use Einstein's equation of E = mc^2 (i.e. The equivalence of mass and energy), it would mean that you would need an infinite force to move.

That being said however, if you were to travel faster than the speed of light (i.e. Superluminal velocities) then you'd achieve time travel, but you would only be able to travel back in time rather than forwards.
This is talking about the speed of light and time travel btw

QZP

HSC
You learnt that mass dilation prevents a spacecraft from reaching the speed of light as the energy required to further accelerate the spacecraft (a = F/m) would approach infinite. The question is: if you input more energy to accelerate the spacecraft, where is that energy going if the spacecraft is negligibly accelerating? The answer is in the mass-energy equivalence E=mc^2 as the energy inputted is converted into mass. Hence, you can see the equation coincides with mass dilation.

Immortality

Rekt by Adv. English
HSC
I am pretty sure E=mc^2 is more explored in general relativity as opposed to special relativity.

That being said, it does explain how as more energy is imputed into an object, its speed increases due to increase kinetic energy, which in turns makes it heavier (which coincides with mass dilation)

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Yes, it is to do with mass dilation, as the links will show.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)