Results 1 to 6 of 6
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By pikachu975
  • 2 Post By jazz519

Thread: Special Relativity

  1. #1
    Member supR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    276
    Rep Power
    2

    Special Relativity

    Hey,

    Just covered special relativity in class today, and me and some of my classmates were wondering if this principle is obeyed equally by all electromagnetic waves, such as gamma rays and x-rays?
    HSC 2018

    Maths Ext 1 - Maths Ext 2 - English Adv - Physics - Chemistry

    ATAR Goal - 96.00 - B Laws at UTS

  2. #2
    I love trials pikachu975's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    2,341
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Special Relativity

    Quote Originally Posted by supR View Post
    Hey,

    Just covered special relativity in class today, and me and some of my classmates were wondering if this principle is obeyed equally by all electromagnetic waves, such as gamma rays and x-rays?
    Yep since all EM waves are 'light'
    30june2016 likes this.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Buy my books/notes cheaply here!

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Uni Course: Actuarial Studies and Statistics at MQ -- PM me if you have questions

    2017 HSC Subjects: Eng Adv / 3u+4u Maths / Bio /Phys
    ATAR: 99.75

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  3. #3
    water enthusiast captainhelium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    161
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Special Relativity

    Quote Originally Posted by supR View Post
    Hey,

    Just covered special relativity in class today, and me and some of my classmates were wondering if this principle is obeyed equally by all electromagnetic waves, such as gamma rays and x-rays?
    Yeah I guess so although I haven't seen much questions that related special relativity to gamma rays etc
    2017 HSC: Eng (Adv.) · 3U Math · 4U Math · Chem · Phys · Bio

  4. #4
    I love trials pikachu975's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    2,341
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Special Relativity

    Quote Originally Posted by captainhelium View Post
    Yeah I guess so although I haven't seen much questions that related special relativity to gamma rays etc
    Yeah basically because gamma rays are light, light = carried by photons and all EMR is carried by photons
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Buy my books/notes cheaply here!

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Uni Course: Actuarial Studies and Statistics at MQ -- PM me if you have questions

    2017 HSC Subjects: Eng Adv / 3u+4u Maths / Bio /Phys
    ATAR: 99.75

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  5. #5
    Senior Member jazz519's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    HSC
    2016
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    859
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: Special Relativity

    Quote Originally Posted by supR View Post
    Hey,

    Just covered special relativity in class today, and me and some of my classmates were wondering if this principle is obeyed equally by all electromagnetic waves, such as gamma rays and x-rays?
    Yep as pikachu said all EM waves are light. Just a tip include this at the start of all ur answers on these topics:
    - Light is an EM oscillation
    - Light is a self-sustaining mutual generation of E and B fields
    (these are covered later on in the ideas to implementation topic however the way to make answers differentiated it is good to combine content from more than one topic as it shows a deeper understanding)
    99.70 Notes + Free Technique Sheet: http://tinyurl.com/jazz519notes
    Tutoring: http://community.boredofstudies.org/...-tutoring.html
    2016 - Eng Adv(97) | Chem(93) | 2U(98) | 3U(48) | Phys(94) | Bus(94)
    ATAR: 99.70 Dux[/SIZE]
    2017 - UNSW Adv. Science (Hons) (Chem) (AAA scholarship & The Late Stephen Robjohns Science Scholarship)
    Chem, Maths, English Tutor

  6. #6
    I love trials pikachu975's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    2,341
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Special Relativity

    Quote Originally Posted by jazz519 View Post
    Yep as pikachu said all EM waves are light. Just a tip include this at the start of all ur answers on these topics:
    - Light is an EM oscillation
    - Light is a self-sustaining mutual generation of E and B fields
    (these are covered later on in the ideas to implementation topic however the way to make answers differentiated it is good to combine content from more than one topic as it shows a deeper understanding)
    Also you can notice that they all do obey special relativity as they all travel at the speed of light which is a postulate.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Buy my books/notes cheaply here!

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Uni Course: Actuarial Studies and Statistics at MQ -- PM me if you have questions

    2017 HSC Subjects: Eng Adv / 3u+4u Maths / Bio /Phys
    ATAR: 99.75

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •