Question about the right hand rule. (1 Viewer)

Vizsla

HSC
Can someone first please explain to me what exactly into and out of the page means (I know how to label it), just wondering if someone could give me a definition.
Also, please explain the direction of the force on a charge, the direction of movement of the charge and the direction of the magnetic field in relation to the right hand rule (more specifically the palm).
Any help is appreciated.

klee98

HSC
Magnetic field is a 3D vector and to represent it, the dot ( . ) and the x ( x ) are used.
The dot ( . ), you can imagine it being an arrow head, and someone is shooting an arrow towards you. Hence, its coming out of the page.
While, the x ( X ), it's like the tail of an arrow (you know the feathery part). So when you shoot an arrow towards someone, all you see is the butt, hence going into the page.

For the right hand rule
Here's a 2D scenario to follow along. So lets have a wire being sandwiched by a magnet. The north on the right and the south on the left. The positive terminal is at the top and the negative at the bottom.

Open your hands flat out and use your thumb to point towards the direction of the conventional current ( + to -). So your thumb is pointing downwards.
Then take the rest of your 4 fingers and point to the direction of the magnetic field (NOTE: This is supplied from the magnets you use), so in this scenario ( S<---------N) your 4 fingers are to the left.
Which ever your palm is facing, is the direction of the force. So if you just followed what I've said, the force would be exerted towards your monitor screen.

Vizsla

HSC
Magnetic field is a 3D vector and to represent it, the dot ( . ) and the x ( x ) are used.
The dot ( . ), you can imagine it being an arrow head, and someone is shooting an arrow towards you. Hence, its coming out of the page.
While, the x ( X ), it's like the tail of an arrow (you know the feathery part). So when you shoot an arrow towards someone, all you see is the butt, hence going into the page.

For the right hand rule
Here's a 2D scenario to follow along. So lets have a wire being sandwiched by a magnet. The north on the right and the south on the left. The positive terminal is at the top and the negative at the bottom.

Open your hands flat out and use your thumb to point towards the direction of the conventional current ( + to -). So your thumb is pointing downwards.
Then take the rest of your 4 fingers and point to the direction of the magnetic field (NOTE: This is supplied from the magnets you use), so in this scenario ( S<---------N) your 4 fingers are to the left.
Which ever your palm is facing, is the direction of the force. So if you just followed what I've said, the force would be exerted towards your monitor screen.
Thank you so much. Clarified it for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)