AC Induction Motor Question (1 Viewer)

jameeeesto

HSC
So, in my half-yearly I was asked to explain how an AC induction motor operates with reference to the MOTOR EFFECT, and Faraday's Law. How does the Motor Effect come into play with AC Induction Motors? I don't believe that the motor effect is apart of AC Induction motors.

Please Help.
Thanks.

el_manu

HSC
An AC induction motor relies on the principle that a moving magnetic field induces a current in the
rotor
with a direction that, according to Lenz’s law, causes the rotor to spin in the same direction
as the magnetic field.

THere is the motor effect and Faraday's law.......

gz_HSCTUTOR

HSC
N/A
The motor effect states that:

When a charge carrying conductor is in a magnetic field it will experience a force.

Faradays Law states that:

When there a change in flux an EMF is induced (Note that Lenz's law is an extension of Faradays law).

So to answer your question:

An example of a induction motor is a wound up AC motor or the commonly talked about one is the 3 phase induction motor. The principle it operates under is pretty much you have a mechanical lever that lets you wind up the axel of the motor. When the axel is released it begins to rotate within a set of magnets. This rotation causes the wire (current carrying conductor) to experience a force because it is in the magnetic field. In terms of Faradays, since the axle is spinning in a magnetic field this causes a change in flux and therefore induces an EMF.

Hope that helped!

Also if you're having trouble with answering some questions you can visit my blog for help! I will be posting something on a weekly basis.

http://hscsynergyeducation.weebly.com/blog

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)