Split ring commutators and slip ring commutators (1 Viewer)

ragingcurry

HSC
Can someone explain to me how split ring and slip ring commutators work. I know that the split ring commutator reverses the direction of the current every half turn. But how does it do this? Are there good videos/sources that explain how it works?

And how does the slip ring commutator work?

For both of these commutators I have seen slabs of text explaining how they work, but I need to see it visually to understand (more of a visual learner).

So if anyone could help me out that would be nice :)

leehuan

HSC
Both slip and split rings serve to allow electrical contact between two surfaces. Obviously the commutator is allowed to rotate whereas the brush is stationary.

The fact that the split ring reverses current is the ONLY FUNCTIONAL difference between the two. It's quite easy to note that cause of the spark gap and etc. the structure of the slip rings are better, but that's another part of the course.

If you seriously want something, go build your own motor. My physics assignment last year was to build one (which I hated) but it's cause it forced me to understand how motors work.

I simply can't explain it (anymore, properly) so if you can't comprehend the text you might need another assistant cause usually when I explain the motor effect I need my hands to help me do so.

ragingcurry

HSC
Both slip and split rings serve to allow electrical contact between two surfaces. Obviously the commutator is allowed to rotate whereas the brush is stationary.

The fact that the split ring reverses current is the ONLY FUNCTIONAL difference between the two. It's quite easy to note that cause of the spark gap and etc. the structure of the slip rings are better, but that's another part of the course.

If you seriously want something, go build your own motor. My physics assignment last year was to build one (which I hated) but it's cause it forced me to understand how motors work.

I simply can't explain it (anymore, properly) so if you can't comprehend the text you might need another assistant cause usually when I explain the motor effect I need my hands to help me do so.
Thanks Leehuan
I can't be bothered building my own motor (too much time and effort required) :)

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
Here you go
the terminology is a bit different, but the video should make it fairly clear

leehuan

HSC
Thanks Leehuan
I can't be bothered building my own motor (too much time and effort required) :)
Vent: That motor assignment was the one thing I hated in physics tbh.

It's also the one thing that made me not choose engineering at uni.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)