General questions (1 Viewer)

Glyde

HSC
As some of you guys may know I'm doing engineering by distance education hence I won't have a teacher to answer my questions. Google is unspecific at times so i guess I'm relying on you guys

Glyde

HSC
Is there a difference between truss girder and box girder bridges ? Is a box girder just more specific ? If so what would each look like. What makes a truss girder bridge different from the rest ?

Kolmias

HSC
Is there a difference between truss girder and box girder bridges ? Is a box girder just more specific ? If so what would each look like. What makes a truss girder bridge different from the rest ?
There's a thing called Google.

Anyway, a truss bridge is a bridge whose load-bearing superstructure is composed of a truss, a structure of connected elements forming triangular units.

A box girder bridge is a bridge in which the main beams comprise girders in the shape of a hollow box. The box girder normally comprises either prestressed concrete, structural steel, or a composite of steel and reinforced concrete.

Got it from Wikipedia.

Joplin

HSC
On the Excel Senior High School Engineering Studies (author by Peter M & Roger M) text book page 28, where I'm introduced to the Engineering Mechanics and Hydraulics, there's an example where the area is divided by 4.

I'll rewrite the work:
Tensile stress
Determine the Ultimate Tensile Stress (UTS) of a 15mm diameter rod if the maximum load it can withstand is 70 kN.

Load = 70k x 10^3 N
Diameter = 15 mm

Area = pi15^2 divide by 4

= 176.7 mm^2

...and then it continues with

UTS = L/A

But I want to know where the "divide by 4" comes from?? Is this textbook even reliable?

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
On the Excel Senior High School Engineering Studies (author by Peter M & Roger M) text book page 28, where I'm introduced to the Engineering Mechanics and Hydraulics, there's an example where the area is divided by 4.

I'll rewrite the work:
Tensile stress
Determine the Ultimate Tensile Stress (UTS) of a 15mm diameter rod if the maximum load it can withstand is 70 kN.

Load = 70k x 10^3 N
Diameter = 15 mm

Area = pi15^2 divide by 4

= 176.7 mm^2

...and then it continues with

UTS = L/A

But I want to know where the "divide by 4" comes from?? Is this textbook even reliable?

Joplin

HSC
Thanks. Wasn't sure if they could've just half the diameter instead of making it more complicated. But now I know a new (probably redudant) equation and that some maths here will try and be tricky. I'll be sure to ask again when I'm bewildered.

Joplin

HSC
Hai again. I'm irritated at a question and I'm not entirely sure how the conversion thing goes. I've got the numbers right but I don't got the numbers in the right places... See below:

It's from a book called Engineering Studies The Definitive Guide.
Q. Find the resistance of a copper wire used in an appliance that is 300mm long, and has a diameter of 2mm, if the resistivity of copper (at 20oC) is 1.7x10-10 Ohm metre.

The formula given is R = p x l/a

where
R is the Resistance (Ohm)
p is the resistivity (Ohm m)
l is the length (m)
a is the cross sectional area (m2)

Here's my work out:

R = (1.7x10-8) x (0.3)/ pi(3.141...) x 0.001
= 0.00000162338 Ohm

And, the answer given was 1.62 Ohm m

I thought I got the conversion wrong but I'm really not sure now.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Hai again. I'm irritated at a question and I'm not entirely sure how the conversion thing goes. I've got the numbers right but I don't got the numbers in the right places... See below:

It's from a book called Engineering Studies The Definitive Guide.
Q. Find the resistance of a copper wire used in an appliance that is 300mm long, and has a diameter of 2mm, if the resistivity of copper (at 20oC) is 1.7x10-10 Ohm metre.

The formula given is R = p x l/a

where
R is the Resistance (Ohm)
p is the resistivity (Ohm m)
l is the length (m)
a is the cross sectional area (m2)

Here's my work out:

R = (1.7x10-8) x (0.3)/ pi(3.141...) x 0.001
= 0.00000162338 Ohm

And, the answer given was 1.62 Ohm m

I thought I got the conversion wrong but I'm really not sure now.
Here's what I get.

Last edited:

Joplin

HSC
Someone help explain where does the longitudinal force exist on a body/subject.

Examples I'd like to know... A Cube, an airplane and a bridge. I'm just not really certain of the definition and prefer a picture, but I haven't been able to find much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)