Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Drongoski
  • 1 Post By Squar3root
  • 2 Post By Fizzy_Cyst
  • 2 Post By mattskioner

Thread: Should I do engineering?

HSC

Should I do engineering?

Hi. I am currently in year 10. My biggest strength is in maths and sciences. Here are my subjects for net year (year 11)
    Ex 1 English
    Ex 1 Maths
    Physics
    CHemistry
    Engineering

In Year 12 I am hoping to do Ex 2 MAths and drop to advanced English. I am questioning how good a choice engineering is. IS it very theory based incorporating lots of maths or is it more like memorising lots of materials? If it doesn't seem like a good choice, what would you recommend I swap it for?

Engineering is a carrer path I would be interested in particularly overseas.

Loquacious One
    HSC
    N/A

Re: Should I do engineering?

I was surprised to find Engineering Studies has lots of the type of content on mechanics - statics, dynamics and motion - that will help you enormously in your 4U Maths. But by the time you do your 4U, the syllabus may have changed. I used to think it was a light-weight subject; turns out to be more solid than I thought.
    ofwgkta likes this.
    1-on-1 Maths Tutoring(IB & HSC): Epping, Beecroft, Eastwood, Carlingford & Beyond
    IB: Maths Studies, Maths SL & Maths HL; HSC: 2U, 3U & 4U
    Highly Qualified & Highly Experienced. Estimated ATAR > 9.995
    There are IB Maths Tutors and there are IB Maths Tutors.

HSC
    Uni Grad

I think it is a good choice for you
    ofwgkta likes this.
    Free MX1 Notes: http://tinyurl.com/freeMX1notes
    B Engineering (I have no idea anymore) @UNSW IV

Executive Member
    HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by Drongoski View Post
    I was surprised to find Engineering Studies has lots of the type of content on mechanics - statics, dynamics and motion - that will help you enormously in your 4U Maths. But by the time you do your 4U, the syllabus may have changed. I used to think it was a light-weight subject; turns out to be more solid than I thought.
    Yup!

It's more physicsy than Physics!

Very difficult subject and too hard mathematically for most TAS teachers, from what I've seen at my schools.

I'd love to teach it, but I would completely such at the drawing aspect of it, LoL.
    Drongoski and pikachu975 like this.
    Visit My Website | Like My Facebook Page | Need HSC Physics Tutoring?

HSC Physics 2018 - Few spots remaining
    Preliminary Physics 2018 - Taking enrolments

HSC

My two cents:

Engineering has similar mechanics type questions every year for the hsc exam - for example. if you have a look at previous exams, you'll notice truss questions (which are analytical type questions and are usually valued to 7-9 marks, out of 100 in the exam) are in every year. These maths based questions take up a good chunk of the exam.

However, the materials stuff is where it can get a little hairy. Let me put this out there: materials in engineering is generally not hard, it is just so content heavy and wide reaching. Because of this broadness, HSC materials questions vary significantly per year. For example, there was a 3 marker on geotextiles either last year or the year before that, and that is a tiny, tiny part of one topic in the syllabus. So the difficulty of materials-based questions is not in that they are hard to understand, but in that there is so much to know, and so little is assessed.

I like to think of mechanics engineering as maths (very little to memorise, but lots to understand) and materials engineering as bio (lots of remembering, not much to understand).

PS - there's a little bit of content which overlap in both prelim and hsc physics/engineering, which may help your understanding
    PPS - I know guys at Uni studying engo, and doing well without doing it in the HSC. So it's not as if you'd be behind should you not do it in the next two years

Feel free to ask anything else! I've just finished trials and am studying at the moment, so everything is pretty fresh in my mind
    Drongoski and ofwgkta like this.
    Balancing school, sport, film, and care.

Advanced
    Legal
    Eco
    2U
    Physics
    Engo

Aim - 90+ (HSC 2017)

HSC
    N/A

Subjects like Science, Math and Technology should be your priority. And of course I'd choose either English or Arts or Literature in order not to get too much pressure from these technical subjects. And as the expert at https://www.upwork.com/o/jobs/browse...-architecture/ and http://yourhomeworkhelp.org/do-my-engineering-homework/ I believe these subjects are a must if you do want to pursue a career in engineering:

• Math: Algebra I, Algebra II, Geometry, Probability & Statistics, Calculus I, and Calculus II.
    • Science: Physical Science, Biology, Applied Biology/Chemistry, Advanced Physics and Chemistry.

I complete the Squar3 Queenroot's Avatar
    HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by alec33 View Post
    Subjects like Science, Math and Technology should be your priority. And of course I'd choose either English or Arts or Literature in order not to get too much pressure from these technical subjects. And as the expert at https://www.upwork.com/o/jobs/browse...-architecture/ and http://yourhomeworkhelp.org/do-my-engineering-homework/ I believe these subjects are a must if you do want to pursue a career in engineering:

• Math: Algebra I, Algebra II, Geometry, Probability & Statistics, Calculus I, and Calculus II.
    • Science: Physical Science, Biology, Applied Biology/Chemistry, Advanced Physics and Chemistry.
    Chem/bio not necessary unless ur doing materials or chemical or biomedical

Executive Member
    HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by Queenroot View Post
    Chem/bio not necessary unless ur doing materials or chemical or biomedical
    I don’t know if it has changed, but back when I started engineering in 2002, first year was flexible as in all Engo students did the same subjects, including chemistry, irrespective of th chosen major.
    Visit My Website | Like My Facebook Page | Need HSC Physics Tutoring?

HSC Physics 2018 - Few spots remaining
    Preliminary Physics 2018 - Taking enrolments

I complete the Squar3 Queenroot's Avatar
    HSC
    N/A

u are able to choose now

HSC

If you are good at Science and Mathematics, then engineering should be a great option for you.

Thread Information