Thread: Engineering Materials

Cadet
    HSC

Engineering Materials

Hello, I am a Year 11 studying Engineering Studies as one of my subjects.
    I really need help with the things on Engineering Materials in Modules 1 to 4.
    I don't understand much of it.

HSC

Re: Engineering Materials

I'm pretty late but maybe if you still don't know then this holidays is now a good time to start revising.
    Good thing about modules 1 to 4 in the engineering syllabus is that it's basically the same thing, it's just that there is more detail as you go through the course. I'll try to give ya a quick rundown.

You have 2 types of classed materials in chemistry.
    - Metals
    Metals distinguish themselves with significant properties that other materials are not able to do (in most cases). Mainly a material is considered as a metal when properties involve;
    ~heat conductivity
    ~electrical conductivity
    ~solids at room temperature (when comparing metallic elements to non-metallic elements this property is rather significant as non metal elements are in their gas or liquid form at room temp)
    ~high density
    ~malleable
    ~ductile
    ~lustrous (when not reacted to oxygen such as Sodium)
    ~strong
    ~can form alloys
    [Common misconception of metallic properties is that they are magnetic, well from my class many thought so but some metals aren't magnetic which then there are two categories to this, ferromagnetic and non-ferromagnetic]
    -Non-metals
    Non-metals are basically opposite properties to metals
    ~cannot conduct heat (also known as heat insulators)
    ~cannot conduct electricity (also known as electrical insulators)
    ~gas or liquid at room temp
    ~brittle
    ~weak
    ~can form compounds
    [there are some exceptions with some non-metals however for example allotropes will allow non-metals to have some metallic properties like graphite or diamond, they are both allotropes of Carbon, their molecular structure only has Carbon atoms).

In engineering, non-metals are studied more in-depth
    which now we have 2 categories as part of non-metals
    -Composite materials
    Composite materials are considered when 2 or more different materials of different properties are combined to form a new material which now has 2 or more of the previous material's properties. Concrete for example is a composite material as it combines both aggregate (crushed stones) and cement, giving it good compression. Carbon fibre is another example as this material is combined with resin glue (polymer) to form a much stronger material under compression which before it used to be a cloth-like sheet.
    -Polymers
    Polymers are a giant molecule based on carbon. Its molecular structure is built up from a large number of similar units bonded together.
    Once again this breaks down into another 2 categories
    -Thermosetting polymer
    Polymers that cannot be reshaped once moulded such as styrofoam.
    -Thermosoftening polymer
    Polymers that can be reshaped once moulded such as PVC.

There's a lot more that i haven't explained like types of steels, alloys, welding as it takes a while for me to write it down but that's the fundamentals of what you should know and especially when going through the things I missed out on. There are Youtube channels & videos out there that better explain materials than me so i'll list them down for you
    Crash Course (They have a new series on engineering and it's actually really helpful and allowed me to revise some notes, I were to assume however that it's first year uni since some topics like enthalpy, efficiency aren't covered in the prelim content or maybe it is in HSC)
    AVE
    Practical Engineering
    Real Engineering

Thread Information