Useless teacher or boring subject? (1 Viewer)

Nightshade

Pain in the ass
HSC
I used to love computers back in years 9 and 10, so i chose ipt in years 11 and 12. But the thing is, i have learnt NOTHING this entire year! all my crappy teacher makes us do is write notes that she has summarised from our textbook!! and if we ask her a question she gets confused... i didnt study for my last test, made all the answers up with educated guesses and got 77% - no thanks to my teacher. and if we ever do prac, everyone plays quake instead.

is this the same for everyone, or is it just the stupid hoe of a teacher i have!?!

T

timbk2

For those who like computers .... IPT is a waste of time.
unless u really want to know wat an input device is and the ethical issues of sending an email.... IPT would only be interesting to those who dont know much about computers and are willing to learn new things
I did HSC last year, and i must say, IPT is probably the easiest subject to teach, yet noone can teach it. all we did in class was surf the net and play games.

Morgues

Same in my school
no one does shit........no one bothers to study and an ipt lesson basically means free period on the computers
Maybe its because IPT is seen as such a total waste of time, who wants to listen to someone explain things that wont even be needed in a test where you have to bullshit about social and ethical issues

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
Meh, IPT was extremely boring. I was asleep the majority of the time.

I had a good teacher - but the subject was just plain boring. I mean, who really cares about the ethical issues of computer technology and about ergonomics!?!?

Morgues

Yeah the theory/documentation part of SDD is horrible........really kills of a great subject

Nightshade

Pain in the ass
HSC
thanx alot ppl...

i was stressin out a little, coz i imagine everyone around the state actually learning something, and we are none the wiser after nearly 2 years. and least i noe all ipt clases are the same.

i just wish someone told me how rap the subject really is, excpt for the teachers trying to sell the class to get more people to do it...

lisa

yeah i agree ipt is a complete waste of time. it's such a basic and boring course.. how are your course marks so far? i remember that for the yearly in the prelim course they gave us such a HARD exam that no one got over 70! really pointless..

if we have an average mark so far of at least mid 80s is there a chance that we might make it into band 6?? i'm not sure how this whole scaling thing works! should i worry about ranking more than the actual mark?

cheers, lisa :)

Morgues

Yeah ranking is what matters........
my teacher was an HSC marker last year and told us that only a handful of people got over 75% in the HSC exam

Alex

Well in my school this is the schedule for an ordinary IPT lesson.

• Students sit down as teacher tells class to read and summarise and answer questions from the Heinemann text book
  • Students walk away to computers
  • Students sit at computers
  • Students open empty documents of word and pretend to work whilst in the background internet explorer is opening up
  • Teacher realises class arent really doing work
  • Teacher leaves to grab a coffee (or so he says) and says "at least look like you're doing something"
  • Students load Fifa World Cup 2002 on the computers and play each other in multiplayer lan-like games
  • Bell rings and students still trying to score that golden goal
  • Students switch off computer and leave classroom

Nelly

Our Class lesson is virtually the same. However, we have the recent luxury of high-speed internet connection. So when the teacher gives us the questions from the Heinemann book, we just d/l the answers off the net, takes about 30 seconds, then spend 119'n'1/2 minutes playing shockwave games, and watching movie previews.

Congratulations to the Board of Studies for making a course which really teaches you about computers and how much of an angle our neck should be from the screen.

T

tactic

Originally posted by Bon
Like Tim said, for people interested in computers, IPT is a waste of time. I think you're better off doing IT even though it's easy, so you can do the CISCO extension which is interesting!

whats this about cisco extension?

Alex

I presume the cisco thingy is an optional topic inside of IT the Vet course, but then again it is only a presumption.

T

tactic

and why does everyone say ranking is the most inportant thing.... i really dont think it is. I was the no.1 ranked student in IPT and SDD and did it help me? NO UAI: 74.1

it also doesnt help when your teacher gives a student in the class 100/100 mark for all assesments and exam just cause they are a friend.. and when they really got 10/100..

Alex

If you are going to get the higher mark range you must first realise that there are many barriers in place. Some of them being:

• Most people look at IPT as an easy course and they are wrong because they do nothing in class whereas the truth is that IPT is a difficult topic because it doesnt ask you to understand what a computer is but rather how this computer system operates and the pros and cons of this operation
  • Another major factor is the fact that whole classes can all get very high marks with assessments as they are pretty easy to do with computer literate people and when it comes to exams they really do not understand the theory down to the bottom line. I have found that its all about understanding theory and than also understanding the pros and cons and this is what differentiates the good students from the rest

Nightshade

Pain in the ass
HSC
Originally posted by Nelly
Congratulations to the Board of Studies for making a course which really teaches you about computers and how much of an angle our neck should be from the screen.
I couldnt have said it better myself.

The thing with IPT, if you bother to put the effort into it, its a pretty interesting course - at least the practical is. The theory is a 'little' boring, but for tech-heads, its a cool course. The thing is, the textbook memorises rule this course. . .

in my school, the theory HEAVILY outweighs the practical, pretty much because for IPT, there is no defined practical component unlike SDD. IPT pracs is writing down how the information process (i.e. COASTPD hehe) affect some imaginary system.

Such is life I guess...

del

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Alex
If you are going to get the higher mark range you must first realise that there are many barriers in place. Some of them being:

• the truth is that IPT is a difficult topic because it doesnt ask you to understand what a computer is but rather how this computer system operates and the pros and cons of this operation
  • all about understanding theory and than also understanding the pros and cons and this is what differentiates the good students from the rest
I agree with you 100% Alex. IPT is all about info systems and the processes that exists within, as well as the potential effects that an I.S. may have on society (hence the social and ethical issues part).

When it comes to the crunch, computer literate people like most of us, don't have any real advantage. Sure we may know how to program as well as the prac stuff, but that doesn't mean much when it comes to understanding the operation of I.S. and the processes that are required/applied. And in the end, seeing the test is written, it all comes down to how well one can convey their knowledge theoretically - the part I find the hardest.

And also, it's the motivation of the rest of the class which also influences one's perception of a subject. If everyone's of playing LAN games, you're gonna think its shit because you seem to be doing nothing related to the topic. Maybe people really do know the stuff already, but its no harm re-learning it, especially if you're aiming for a high mark. As for teachers telling us to summarise and answer questions, that's just the bare minimum. To do well in any subject we're gonna have to put in our own additional effort.

That's just my opinion anyway, everyone's else is totally valid too.

And yeah, the CISCO thing is the part to extension ITV. Was thinking about doing it, but it would have been the equiv of about 2 more units, which would've put me on 14. And anyway, ITV is category B.

Nelly

I guess in some ways IPT is an interesting course. But the theory is so unbelievably boring, that it completely outways any prac's that we have done in class (all 2 of them). We spent 3 periods copying a decision support system from the board into a spreadsheet, it was this huge tax system thing, and i learnt crap all, a waste of 2 hrs.

The Board has to create a system where the prac's are specified, e.g. Physics. The course is so general, and there is so much useless crap that we need to know. Oh Well, Thats life

xarg

BUBZ :D
HSC
well i have to say that yes IPT was boring, I was in timbk2's IPT class and well the stuff we did in class wasn't boring (beating the teacher at warcraft and starcraft was good) but on the whole yes the course material is boring, however it is necessary knowledge too. the curriculum may not be nicely balanced in terms of practical/theory work but i don't think the curriculum was designed with a set of bored IPT students in mind.

the problem is that if you're doing IPT because you like doing stuff with computers then well .. no such course exists really. SDD has programming but that isn't an essential part of the course, the main part of SDD is theory.

blah .. time to stop rambling

fatmuscle

HSC
we got xarg on the boardz!

advertising helps!

yes, IPT... you could bludge every lesson, and still come top5 in everything...*IF YOU KNEW WHAT WAS HAPPENING*
And it's not hard to read a textbook.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)