Music 2 or IPT - which one scales better? (1 Viewer)

Babbu

HSC
Hi everyone,

I just need help in deciding between these two subjects - Music 2 and Information Processes and Technology. These two subjects are not for my main 10 units but as I need extra 2 units just to be on the safe side, I have to have one of these. I did almost equally good in both in my year 11 - got above 90.
Please suggest which one would scale better.
Thanks

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
i would more worry bout which subject u think you would achieve higher results in, favourite, relevance to where you want to go in future. But u can find scalings on UAC...

Babbu

HSC
Thanks everyone for your replies. I checked UAC site and yes, Music-2 does scale better. Almost 29% of students got above band 6 in Music 2 which is rather much higher than all subjects. For IPT it is that if we get say 98 then it is counted as 93 after scaling.

But my query is - if anyone of you has had first hand experience with Music 2- I mean how tough/easy is it at Year 12 level. Is the work load managable? Is it very different from Year 11 music 2? Such things.
About IPT as you all know is easy, but this means anyone can do it well. So it's good for getting above average marks but not really outstanding scaled marks. Music will be - like you get either full marks or below average.
But maybe I am wrong. So any first hand experience is welcome please.
Thanks.

Lwaxana

Betazed Ambassador
HSC
N/A
I would be concerned which one you can get the better marks in rather than the scaling.
Scaling does vary from year to year depending on the year's cohort

If you think you can get 89 in IPT and only get 80 in Music - you should still do IPT.
As far as workload .. god forbid if students actually asked their teachers what to expect - if your teacher is any sort of a professional they should be able to explicitly explain what is required.

Then you can make an informed decision.

Am yet to understand how/why students think IPT is so easy - easy to do - maybe not so easy to do well ?? based on your concept thats oits easy can imagine you'll get 100%

Last edited:

Babbu

HSC
Thanks for your suggestions. I will discuss it all with my teachers and see how it goes.
In fact this is a decision about my extra subject as I already have a 10 unit total - with 4unit Maths, Advanced English, Physics and Chemistry. But just in case I do badly in one of these plus if I do better in say Music 2 or IPT (which ever I happen to select) then this extra subject can help save my UAI. Which means the subject I select out of these two msut get me good marks as I am aspiring for good UAI …possibly 99 to 100
J
. Otherwise what is the point in keeping it and it would be better to focus on my main 10 unit subjects.

In year 11 I did equally well in both. Suppose in Year 12 finals if I get 99 in Music it will scale well, but 99 in IPT will count as less (become 93 or so) won’t it? This is the issue of my concern.
About ease or difficulty of subejects - some people say Music 2 is tricky as it requires originality and hence becomes unpredictable. IPT on the other hand can be prepared well in advance and we can reproduce the material in exams… so they say it is easy or manageable.
As school reopens, we all will take right decisions.

Lwaxana said:
I would be concerned which one you can get the better marks in rather than the scaling.
Scaling does vary from year to year depending on the year's cohort

If you think you can get 89 in IPT and only get 80 in Music - you should still do IPT.
As far as workload .. god forbid if students actually asked their teachers what to expect - if your teacher is any sort of a professional they should be able to explicitly explain what is required.

Then you can make an informed decision.

Am yet to understand how/why students think IPT is so easy - easy to do - maybe not so easy to do well ?? based on your concept thats oits easy can imagine you'll get 100%

Amplifiedspeakr

HSC
You have to be in top 21.7% to get in band 6 for Music 2, as for IPT you have to be top 3.2%. If you do well in it, i suppose scaling doesnt affect you that much though it would depend on the subject. Music 2 is a more difficult course, if you plan to do some computing course in uni then i suppose IPT may suit you.

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
Having done both Music 2 and IPT (although dropped IPT for year 12), I would say Music 2's workload is ultimately ALOT more. And the level of ability expected for Music 2 students is ridiculous, its an 'elite' subject, and quite hard. If you really love music, you might have fun, but you need to know alot about music theory and history too.

I'd go IPT. :)

dizzyizzy

snubble
HSC
In the interests of your own sanity, please run far away from IPT.

smp211

HSC
dizzyizzy said:
In the interests of your own sanity, please run far away from IPT.
To put it realistically, i think that this is the best advice you can follow.
IPT is possibly the shittest subject that you could ever take. Every time i go to class im either feeling like i want to gouge my eyes out, or im just staring at a wall. Either way, its more productive than IPT will ever be.

HSC
if u have a shitty teacher than go for music, but either than that i'd go for IPT but if i had to choose at this stage id go music coz my teacher is so stupid for IPT but worse im stuck with him for yr12 :burn:

Lwaxana

Betazed Ambassador
HSC
N/A
To put it realistically, i think that this is the best advice you can follow.
IPT is possibly the shittest subject that you could ever take. Every time i go to class im either feeling like i want to gouge my eyes out, or im just staring at a wall. Either way, its more productive than IPT will ever be.
I happen to believe that IPT has HUGE relevance to post-secondary studies and life.
And whilst, as with any subject, you run the risk that its not a teachers passion area I also believe students can ruin a subject by their negative attitude in class.

"i want to gouge my eyes out"... then drop it - go find a subject more suited to your interests. With that attitude you are almost guaranteed a poor mark. :hammer:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)