What Is Normalisation?!?!?! (1 Viewer)

Cabrera1990

HSC
1NF 2NF 3NF

Can anybody provide me with examples and what each do thatnkyou so much!

zer.0.ne

HSC
Cabrera1990 said:
1NF 2NF 3NF

Can anybody provide me with examples and what each do thatnkyou so much!
Data Redundancy: The occurrence of values for data elements more than once within a file or database.

Normalisation: The process of structuring data to minimise duplication and inconsistencies. The process usually involves breaking down a single table into two or more tables and defining relationships between those tables. Normalisation is usually done in stages, with each stage applying more rigourous rules to the types of information which can be stored in a table.

* Data Redundancy is what you have, normalisation is the process of removing it.

I don't think we need to know 1NF 2NF and 3NF specifically.. it has never been asked.

Cabrera1990

HSC
yea i know its for data redundancy but i have seen it come up here and there.....im sooo lost i mean i know its to create sep tables and remove info but do what degree of "normalization" does each infer?

zer.0.ne

HSC
lol i wouldn't have a clue.. but you shouldn't worry cuz its not like they are going to ask you to normalise a database to "2NF". When they ask you in the exam to normalise a database.. just create new tables and create relationships and remove redundant data

sorry if this isn't any help.. but imo you don't need to know it (1NF 2NF 3NF)

dizzyizzy

snubble
HSC
I thought it was something liiiiike:

1NF- identify redundant fields (duplicates) and delete
2NF- create new separate tables
3NF- implement relationships.

Or something.
Maybe we should all just hope it doesn't come up in the exam...
haha...

Cabrera1990

HSC
wowwww thx i hope thats it! can u re-assure me please, coz i think its smthn like that! :(

Makro

Porcupine
HSC
When they ask you to normalise, they're asking for separation of tables, showing relationships and primary/foreign keys, effectively to remove data redundancy.

I thought this was 1NF? My textbook has 1NF and DKNF (sounds highly retarded), so I doubt they're going to ask that if it's not in one of the textbooks prescribed for the subject.

Cabrera1990

HSC
yea man good thinking! hey "Makro" i added u on MSN u sound good at ipt maybe we can help eahcother for the exam tomoz?

cxlxoxk

HSC
its nothing like that!

1NF - every record in the table has to be same length. This means that each record has the same number of fields, and none of them contains a blank box (wastes space) or more than one value (on a computer database, if you put two values for one field, you have to create an entire new row (lots of blank boxes) -> waste space).
_________

2NF - 1NF and in addition, all fields are dependent on the whole of the primary key (i think this means what i'm showing below)

_________

Employee Table

Employee ID

Employee Name

Employee Ph No.

---

Shifts Table

Employee ID

Shift Times

If we know the employee id, we should know their name and phone number...

If we know their id, we know their shift times...

_________

3NF - 1NF, 2NF and in addition, all fields (attributes) should be dependent on the tables primary key. If they are not they should be put in their own table. This means that every attribute unless it is a primary or foreign key must be DIRECTLY dependent on the Primary Key of this table and not on some other column.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong...

A good way to understand 2NF and (maybe) 3NF, is thinking "if i know". If you know something about a customer/employee/person, what else do you know?

zer.0.ne said:
I don't think we need to know 1NF 2NF and 3NF specifically.. it has never been asked.
From the syllabus:

data modelling tools for organising data including:

- blah

- blah

- Normalising data to reduce data redundancy.

THe syllabus is brief on that point, that statement COULD imply knowledge of 1NF, 2NF, 3NF normalisation.

Last edited:

Goody Proctor

HSC
Where does it say about "1NF 2NF 3NF" in the syllabus?
I know that you have to know about "normalising data"... but you actually have to do it in those steps?

Makro

Porcupine
HSC
I was reading the syllabus an hour ago, I saw "Normalisation" - Nothing about 1NF, 2NF, 3NF.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)