Excel HSC book? (1 Viewer)

Chromatic

Banned
HSC
N/A
I just bought the IPT excel book today today because my friend told me it is an excellent books for revision of the course...

So far its good, but its gotta be missing some details. In Project Management, topic 1 of the course, theres a section in another IPT book (a 400 page in depth textbook) about choosing system development approaches.. such as Agile, traditional, outsourcing etc.

Excel HSC book MAKES NO MENTION of system development approaches... which is really making me question how useful they are as revision guides :(

Anyone agree that these Excel books kinda suck? Or is it possible that system development approaches could be in another chapter? :D

Brontecat

HSC
The Excel HSC book is based on the old syllabus so there are some things which aren't important and some things that haven't been included - it's probably best to just look at the syllabus in conjunction with it :)
btw what textbook are you using?

Chromatic

Banned
HSC
N/A
The Excel HSC book is based on the old syllabus so there are some things which aren't important and some things that haven't been included - it's probably best to just look at the syllabus in conjunction with it :)
btw what textbook are you using?
Samuel Davis... its retarded

600 pages, walls of text... :(

Makdadddy

makdaddy.net
HSC
Haha, our teacher has all the textbooks. She is always saying that Davis is WAY to complex for the HSC course and she sometimes feels like strangling him. His diagrams are like... :spzz:

Kat92

HSC
I just bought the IPT excel book today today because my friend told me it is an excellent books for revision of the course...

So far its good, but its gotta be missing some details. In Project Management, topic 1 of the course, theres a section in another IPT book (a 400 page in depth textbook) about choosing system development approaches.. such as Agile, traditional, outsourcing etc.

Excel HSC book MAKES NO MENTION of system development approaches... which is really making me question how useful they are as revision guides :(

Anyone agree that these Excel books kinda suck? Or is it possible that system development approaches could be in another chapter? :D
Yes, the Excel book is quite limited with some of its explanations. Like Brontecat mentioned have the new version of the syllabus open and then flick through your textbook to find the relevant information.

When I completed my HSC last year, I didn't just rely on one textbook I used a combination of Excel, Heinemann and a couple of notes photocopied by our teacher from the Samuel Davis book.

Hang in there and you''ll be fine as it is the first year with the new changes to the syllabus. :)

Chromatic

Banned
HSC
N/A
Haha, our teacher has all the textbooks. She is always saying that Davis is WAY to complex for the HSC course and she sometimes feels like strangling him. His diagrams are like... :spzz:
Agreed

Chromatic

Banned
HSC
N/A
Yes, the Excel book is quite limited with some of its explanations. Like Brontecat mentioned have the new version of the syllabus open and then flick through your textbook to find the relevant information.

When I completed my HSC last year, I didn't just rely on one textbook I used a combination of Excel, Heinemann and a couple of notes photocopied by our teacher from the Samuel Davis book.

Hang in there and you''ll be fine as it is the first year with the new changes to the syllabus. :)
Sweet, guess ill be using the excel book, davis book and teachers notes while keeping the syllabus open to make my way through this year :D

Brontecat

HSC
i so agree with the davis book it's so irritating having all this information that i barely understand and then the teacher lets me know that its way to in-depth and that i should use some study notes that she made that are heaps simpler and easier to understand - so what's this heinemann one that's mentioned? would it be worth buying?

Kat92

HSC
i so agree with the davis book it's so irritating having all this information that i barely understand and then the teacher lets me know that its way to in-depth and that i should use some study notes that she made that are heaps simpler and easier to understand - so what's this heinemann one that's mentioned? would it be worth buying?
The Heinemann textbook is a bit out of date with some of the newer syllabus items. However, it is very clear and concise with its examples and diagrams. It also includes various topic tests and exercises throughout so as you can slowly practise the topic at your own pace. I have tried to upload the PDF version for you all however there is an intermittment fault even though it is in the recommend file size range. Regardless, even if you can't get a PDF copy from the internet, it would be worth having a look at and purchasing it if you believe that it will help you with your studies.

-Heinemann Information Processes and Technology Prelim Course GK. Powers.
-Heinemann Information Processses and Technology HSC Course GK. Powers.

* Check out the cheap IPT textbooks thread as someone is selling them for $10 there.*

Last edited:

dermite

HSC
N/A
Does anyone have the .pdf of the excel ipt study guide?

my teacher said we'd be able to find it online but i can't.

ttenroca

HSC
The folk who write the excel book are often on the team writting the examination....just saying ;)

orwellstudent

HSC
N/A
ive heard success one is the best thing to have while preparing for ur hsc

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm a fan of the success one past hsc papers with model answers. I even found my old copy when clearing out my parents' house the other day!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)