State Ranking mark ? (1 Viewer)

trapizi

╰(゜Д゜)╯
HSC
So I'm wondering what is the lowest possible mark to get into state ranking for IPT :tongue2:
Thanks

Lwaxana

Betazed Ambassador
HSC
N/A
I am still wondering how, a few years ago, 8 of the top 10 students were all Year 10 students from one secondary institution.... figure those odds

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
My sister's classmate accelerated IPT and state ranked last year. She got either 96, 97, or 98. Will confirm, but it definitely wasn't 99 or 100 xD

EDIT:
It was 97 - but after scaling (apparently) idk how scaling or alignment works so I don't know what the marks mean~
Need raw marks for the exam.

Was 97 the HSC mark given? Did this person order their raw marks report?

Most of the information in this thread is highly misleading and is based off no credible information. The only proper information we have gotten here is that an aligned mark that received a state rank was 97/100.

http://community.boredofstudies.org...d-raw-marks-database-sortable-excel-file.html

Based on what's here, raw marks of around 65 may yield an aligned mark of something in the 70's or possibly 80's for IPT varying year to year.

So I would say that it might be possible to get a state rank with something around 95. This is a random estimate though given that this is dependent on the paper used on the year.

I mean, it might be possible that you could state rank with a raw mark of 90, but honestly without any proper useful data, which this thread has conveyed and not been accounted for in any way, then there is no way to tell what raw mark could yield a state rank (I have no idea why some posts in here did not have the disclaimer "This is my estimate" because really there is no way to actually tell a rough ballpark figure without any proper info, which most of the above posts came out with zero research or data (excluding the one with the 97 mark whatever that was)).

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
It varies each year obviously but in my case I got 98/98 according to the Board of Studies HSC results (note there are no decimal places on the results). From memory my internal mark was a bit lower. If I recall correctly, the guy who came 2nd in my year also had 98 on his HSC results yet I was 4th.

Last edited:

Tugga

HSC
State rankings are a bit weird.

In 2012:
First in state: 98/97
Second: 98/98
Third: 97/98 (i think...)

All the other state rankers got ~97 so lowest HSC (aligned) mark may have been 97 or 96.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
*shrug*

Given the cohort size of IPT in most schools isn't very large, I found that there were a disproportionate number of people posting on BoS (at least back in my day) who were top or second in class, and hence I was never too sure if I was really very good at IPT (because I was top of my class too) or if I was just good relative to my classmates who spent more time playing CS/UT than doing actual work. Either way, there's no point really giving this too much focus as it's pretty much impossible to figure out if you'll get a state ranking with any degree of certainty.

trapizi

╰(゜Д゜)╯
HSC
*shrug*

Given the cohort size of IPT in most schools isn't very large, I found that there were a disproportionate number of people posting on BoS (at least back in my day) who were top or second in class, and hence I was never too sure if I was really very good at IPT (because I was top of my class too) or if I was just good relative to my classmates who spent more time playing CS/UT than doing actual work. Either way, there's no point really giving this too much focus as it's pretty much impossible to figure out if you'll get a state ranking with any degree of certainty.
Yeah you're right. I'm like your second version :eek:. The gap between me and the 2nd kid is very close (2-3 marks) and the 3rd kid is way too big, like 15-20 marks.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
For what it's worth I never even contemplated I would be aiming for a state ranking. I just wanted to do well so the IPT marks didn't scale down poorly and impact my outcomes. Getting a SR and some random shield from IBM was just a nice bonus :)

lebomatic

HSC
IPT is an EXTREMELY easy subject to get a good mark. I have no idea why some people look down upon it but it is amazingly easy and quite useful if you're interested in technology (barring some of the dry memorisation stuff). My teacher taught literally NO material (he probably taught HSC IPT material 3 times total in the entire year no joke). I didn't study either and crammed all the IPT content within the last 1.5-2weeks. I ended up getting a 95 and remember clearly bullshitting a lot of the short answer questions.

trapizi

╰(゜Д゜)╯
HSC
IPT is an EXTREMELY easy subject to get a good mark. I have no idea why some people look down upon it but it is amazingly easy and quite useful if you're interested in technology (barring some of the dry memorisation stuff). My teacher taught literally NO material (he probably taught HSC IPT material 3 times total in the entire year no joke). I didn't study either and crammed all the IPT content within the last 1.5-2weeks. I ended up getting a 95 and remember clearly bullshitting a lot of the short answer questions.
YES! So true.

Kittyrules

I'm your density
HSC
The thing is from last years paper, that was pretty damn easy. Im hoping it just doesnt get suddenly much harder this year. I heard IPT gets easier every year, but i dont know, it seems it cant get much easier than last year's 'draw a gantt chart'.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
The content isn't hard but the challenge is how you articulate your responses in a way which differentiates you from peers.

I also have found IPT to be a very useful subject despite working in accounting as I have a much better appreciation of things like project implementation strategies (and I've helped clients with this!) as well as just understanding flowcharts.

Chupchup

HSC
The thing is from last years paper, that was pretty damn easy. Im hoping it just doesnt get suddenly much harder this year. I heard IPT gets easier every year, but i dont know, it seems it cant get much easier than last year's 'draw a gantt chart'.
I agree, I prefer the Past Papers, I think they are much easier than some of the Independent and Catholic Trials...

trapizi

╰(゜Д゜)╯
HSC
I agree, I prefer the Past Papers, I think they are much easier than some of the Independent and Catholic Trials...
CSSA uses Samuel Davis book for to make their papers. This is why many folks in catholic school are stressing about this subjects.

Kittyrules

I'm your density
HSC
How do you get the CSSA papers and independent papers? i know todays the last day, but for future reference?? My teacher gave us the multiple choice of 3 independant papers. Are they free or do you have to pay or what?

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
How do you get the CSSA papers and independent papers? i know todays the last day, but for future reference?? My teacher gave us the multiple choice of 3 independant papers. Are they free or do you have to pay or what?
Schools have to pay to buy them...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)