Prelim/HSC IPT Q&A Thread (1 Viewer)

trapizi

╰(゜Д゜)╯
HSC
IPT Q&A Thread
I found many people having trouble learning this subject as it is dry, boring and requires a lot of up-to-date knowledge and application skill (in most ppl opinions). So I made this thread to help you answer and solve all the IPT problems that you have trouble with or study tips for IPT.
Here you can post any Prelim/HSC IPT questions that you have trouble with or any interesting IPT questions and I'll answer them in the most simple and convincing way as soon as possible:awesome: (as long as it's not way too off the syllabus). Everyone else can join me :).

I can only help you with these topics as I did not learn the others in Yr12 :(:
  • System Design and Development a.k.a Project Management
  • Database a.k.a Information Systems
  • Communication System
  • Transaction Processeing System (TPS)
  • Multimedia
  • All preliminary topics

Helps or supports from other people are highly appreciated :awesome:

Last edited:

MrInoeverthin

HSC
Uni Grad
A question from the 2013 TPS section.

Explain why the alternative procedures for a transaction processing system need to be periodically tested.

trapizi

╰(゜Д゜)╯
HSC
A question from the 2013 TPS section.

Explain why the alternative procedures for a transaction processing system need to be periodically tested.
It is critical to ensure a TPS to be functioned in many alternative ways as data would come from different processes of the TPS, e.g. online paying vs money order. Hence, periodically testing and maintaining these procedures will ensure these sources of data to be returned to the master database in the correct order, on time, uninterrupted, smooth, in high data quality and security. Especially for TPS using batch processing will stop its activities when an error occurs. For TPS using real-time processing, it is important to test the processes involve in the transaction. This allows the system administrator to identify the issue and patch it immediately before there is data loss or data leakage in master database occur. Overall, testing must be taken periodically so the TPS can be processed smoothly, functioned as its intended purpose and its data to be in the best quality as it should be.

I hope this would help you :).

Last edited:

MrInoeverthin

HSC
Uni Grad
It is critical to ensure a TPS to be functioned in many alternative ways as data would come from different processes of the TPS, e.g. online paying vs money order. Hence, periodically testing and maintaining these procedures will ensure these sources of data to be returned to the master database in the correct order, on time, uninterrupted, smooth, in high data quality and security. Especially for TPS using batch processing will stop its activities when an error occurs. For TPS using real-time processing, it is important to test the processes involve in the transaction. This allows the system administrator to identify the issue and patch it immediately before there is data loss or data leakage in master database occur. Overall, testing must be taken periodically so the TPS can be processed smoothly, functioned as its intended purpose and its data to be in the best quality as it should be.

I hope this would help you :).
This helps heaps. Thanks a lot!

Kittyrules

I'm your density
HSC
How do you answer the questions that ask you to simply 'explain' or 'describe' the following processes that occur in a given context?

e.g. 6 marks -

Explain the "insert context here" system considering the following:
- collecting
-data accuracy
-the needs of the user
-analysing

and how they interrelate with each other.

These questions are the death of me. They jsut ask to explain..... like what?!!?!

Sorry i cant get a better example of a question. I cant find any right now. Ill post one later if i find a good example.

trapizi

╰(゜Д゜)╯
HSC
How do you answer the questions that ask you to simply 'explain' or 'describe' the following processes that occur in a given context?

e.g. 6 marks -

- collecting
-data accuracy
-the needs of the user
-analysing

These questions are the death of me. They jsut ask to explain..... like what?!!?!

Sorry i cant get a better example of a question. I cant find any right now. Ill post one later if i find a good example.
Is the question asking you to explain how collecting, data accuracy, user needs and analysing affect the system and how they relate ?
I have to confirm this before answer this question because the question you given me is quite confusing.

Technoash

HSC
So someone asked me this maths general question. I don't do gen maths but I do IPT so it would be handy to know t
question.jpg

and I answered it like this
me.jpg

but the answer is not C, it's D. My answer is wrong. They went to their teacher and got the solution (Disregard the last line. I don't know why he/she wrote that)
teacher.jpg

My question is:
Why does the teacher use 1024 to convert from megabytes to bytes on the first line and use 1000 to convert from bits to kilobits on line 3? Shouldn't 1024 be used constantly throughout?

Also, why does the teacher bother converting from megabytes to bytes. If they just converted from megabytes to kilobytes on the first line wouldn't that save them having to do line 3?

Last edited:

Kittyrules

I'm your density
HSC
trapizi: yeah,pretty much. In many tests the large 5-6 mark questions ask in relation to a context (e.g library loan system) to explain and describe the processes of collecting, processing and organising, and how they relate.

Often they like to add in some issues like data accuracy and that sort of thing into what needs describing. its just annoying how it says 'explain' the process... Explain... how?

I can see how its confusing! Sorry about that!! If i find a real question i will post it.

Last edited:

trapizi

╰(゜Д゜)╯
HSC
trapizi: yeah,pretty much. In many tests the large 5-6 mark questions ask in relation to a context (e.g library loan system) to explain and describe the processes of collecting, processing and organising, and how they relate.

Often they like to add in some issues like data accuracy and that sort of thing into what needs describing. its just annoying how it says 'explain' the process... Explain... how?

I can see how its confusing! Sorry about that!! If i find a real question i will post it.
That would make thing easier :). I'll respond asap

Kittyrules

I'm your density
HSC
That would make thing easier :). I'll respond asap
Ok so i found something along the lines of what i was talking about.
from the 2009 paper:

Screen Shot 2014-10-07 at 11.03.06 pm.png

so there's the context, and i was wondering about c). Ive never uploaded a picture here before (im generally new here!) so hopefully it works!! Thanks so much :)!!

EDIT:
this one is even better (and harder and more marks!)

Screen Shot 2014-10-07 at 11.07.20 pm.png

its from the same test but the TPS section

Last edited:

trapizi

╰(゜Д゜)╯
HSC

e.g. 6 marks -

- collecting
-data accuracy
-the needs of the user
-analysing

I'll give it a go for this question :):
Collecting: Let's pretend the post box in this thread is the "insert context here" system :haha:. If you do not insert any word in the box. The system will automatically respond The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 1 characters. So the system does not let you post anything because there is no data for it to collect. Similarly to your "insert context here" system, if there is no data, it will not proceed to the next step as it didn't collect any data.
Data Accuracy: Ok so you want to say "hello" but you insert "helo" instead. This is a form of inaccuracy data as it's misspelling. So in the "insert text here" system, if data is inaccuracy, the system may not notify and continue proceed to the next process, making the data to be transmitted in faulty form, affecting other systems or user who interact with this inaccurate data :(
The needs of the user : There must be a reason for a system to be created. The needs of the user are so important that it is a guide for system designers to know what the purpose of the system they're designing and how they can approach the solution and development of that system.
Analysing: The system has to analyse the data that is insert so that it's able to transform them into the information. For instance, if you want to post this message in this forum : "Hi" in bold, you have to write {B}Hi{/B} right? (sorry I can't use the square bracket otherwise it'll think it's an HTML code). The system will analyse the message {B}Hi{/B} and they'll say "oh hey there is a html code here and it wants the message to be in bold!". The system will then carry on the next step is to transform that data {B}Hi{/B} into Hi as requested information. Another example is when you say "fuck" (ikr but it's an example), and the system notice: "there is swear word here, let's give him a notification". So to sum up, analysing is an important step in any system to decide how the data would be transform when displaying and identify issue in the entered data.

These elements are just the fundamental aspects and processes of every system that they all carry out to perform the tasks. If the system does not proceed through any of those element, the information it displayed will be incorrect and may cause misunderstanding to the users.

I hope that would help :p

Last edited:

Kittyrules

I'm your density
HSC
thanks! Thats really quite helpful, and good job without a proper context :D
So you sort of describe them a bit and say why they're important to the system...I guess it depends on the question too.
well thanks, and if its not too much trouble could you have a look at the other past paper ones? i dont want to annoy you too much... hehe :p
THANK YOU OMG.

trapizi

╰(゜Д゜)╯
HSC
thanks! Thats really quite helpful, and good job without a proper context :D
So you sort of describe them a bit and say why they're important to the system...I guess it depends on the question too.
well thanks, and if its not too much trouble could you have a look at the other past paper ones? i dont want to annoy you too much... hehe :p
THANK YOU OMG.
lol i'm answering the HSC question for you right now but no worries :).

trapizi

╰(゜Д゜)╯
HSC
Ok so i found something along the lines of what i was talking about.
from the 2009 paper:

View attachment 31023

so there's the context, and i was wondering about c). Ive never uploaded a picture here before (im generally new here!) so hopefully it works!! Thanks so much :)!!

EDIT:
this one is even better (and harder and more marks!)

View attachment 31024

its from the same test but the TPS section
I'll answer the second one to give you the concept then you can do the first one.
Notice the step that the system will be proceeding is: Flight Choice/Customer/Confirmation
Collecting: The system will collect data for Destination, Flight Date, Departure Time and etc. and this process will be carried on from Flight Choice to Customer step. It's clearly to say that there are 3 ways of collecting data in this system. They're: tick box, drop box and text box. These boxes will reduce the data inaccuracy and ensure all data are in standard quality and high integrity. For example, instead of letting customer enter the destination manually, there is a drop box for them so when they enter the destination they want, the box will display the suggested result or the customer can choose the destinations that is displayed from the drop box themselves.
Storage and Retrieval: All information of customer, seat, ticket information and etc. will be stored in the system master database. This means any further changes or updated information will be retrieve by the system and store/update them in the database. For example, the data will have to confirm the credit card number so they'll ask for a check in bank database and retrieve the respond from it. If it's correct then the system will store all the flight and customer information into its master database.
Analysing: The system will analyse the flight fare through the chosen flight date and destination of the customer. This is done in order from: Destination/Flight Date/Departure Time. The analysing of data is likely to be done with many other databases, e.g. promotion, customer demand, available seats or oil price.

Kittyrules

I'm your density
HSC
ok that clears it up a lot!! Thanks heaps :D i'm way too tired now, but if i send you an answer for the first question tomoroww or something, could you critique it? idk am i asking too much?!?!

Kittyrules

I'm your density
HSC

trapizi

╰(゜Д゜)╯
HSC
So someone asked me this maths general question. I don't do gen maths but I do IPT so it would be handy to know t
View attachment 31021

and I answered it like this
View attachment 31020

but the answer is not C, it's D. My answer is wrong. They went to their teacher and got the solution (Disregard the last line. I don't know why he/she wrote that)
View attachment 31022

My question is:
Why does the teacher use 1024 to convert from megabytes to bytes on the first line and use 1000 to convert from bits to kilobits on line 3? Shouldn't 1024 be used constantly throughout?

Also, why does the teacher bother converting from megabytes to bytes. If they just converted from megabytes to kilobytes on the first line wouldn't that save them having to do line 3?

Your teacher made it more detail and definitely the right way to calculate the transmission rate your question from the textbook :).
Apparently he did transfer it back to kbp but he used decimal system to convert which 1 kbp= 1000 bp which also makes me wondering. So I don't know, sorry :(. The answer he got is 2.62 which is 2 minutes and 37 seconds when you press the degree display on your calculator. So I assume this question is correct in both way 2m30s and 2m37s.

trapizi

╰(゜Д゜)╯
HSC
ok that clears it up a lot!! Thanks heaps :D i'm way too tired now, but if i send you an answer for the first question tomoroww or something, could you critique it? idk am i asking too much?!?!
Sure. But i'm not a teacher nor marker so I can't really give you feedback like the marker :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)