Multiple choice help (1 Viewer)

Nukeboy

HSC
N/A
Hi could someone explain this to me. The answer is C

Relational databases for a system may have more than one user view of the data. What is the reason for constructing these different views?
(A) To implement metadata structures
(B) To establish the validity of the data
(C) To determine data elements for different purposes
(D) To describe the relationship between hyperlinked design elements

Chupchup

HSC
In essence, relational databases, allow different people to view different "things" or elements in the database. So, practically, what this question is saying is, "why can different people view different things in a database?".

Now the answer is, "C) To determine data elements for different purposes". This in simple language can be broken down to;
- Data Elements --> "Things"
- Different Purposes --> Viewing different things.

This may seem confusing at first but if you take a database for a bank let's say, normal employees will have limited access to information about customers as compared to bank managers who will for obvious reasons be "allowed" to view personal information that is not necessarily useful or needed for a normal employee to see.

Hope that kind of explains it. These people have a habit of writing confusing stuff which can be hard at times to understand.

Good Luck!

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
Relational databases for a system may have more than one user view of the data. What is the reason for constructing these different views?
(A) To implement metadata structures

Process of elimination
Metadata is data on data, having more than one user view will not possibly do that.

Process of elimination 2
Databases do not contain hyperlinks, hyperlinks are HTML stuff and the question is worded like it wants to catch out people without adequate course knowledge

Process of elimination 3
To establish the validity of the data
To determine data elements for different purposes

Both of these sound correct, and had me pondering for a few seconds. But remember that multiple choice is about choosing the most correct answer. An example of having multiple data views is... lets say that in a business you have 2 different sides, the people who make the products and the people who dispatch them.

One data view will be made for the people who make the products. Containing information such as the supplies needed, orders placed and time until the orders are due
Another data view will be made for the people who dispatch the products. Containing information such as the dispatch address, placed order, time the order has to be dispatched and any other associated information

Now... what are these two different views doing? Are they helping with data validation or determining data elements for different purposes (such as for the different purposes of making products and dispatching products)

Chup has already provided a more than adequate answer, but i was typing this before it was posted lol, so may as well post my way of thinking as well

Nukeboy

HSC
N/A
Thanks for the detailed responses:smile:
Yep, I understand now what C meant
I had eliminated B and D, but I was thinking of MS Access's design view which is basically a data dictionary which is data describing data.

So I ended up picking A.
So are user views different from those views in Access.
Or do user views just refer to different FORM views in Access.
I would appreciate the clarification. Thanks

Kittyrules

I'm your density
HSC
So user views can be designed in Access, but the basis views in access are for editing the database - so yes they are sort of different.

For example, in access you have table, design and form view. The table and design view are the 'back end' of the database. Nobody except the makers of the database EVER see this.
The form view on the other hand can be made and shaped to fit any purpose (any user view) that you want.

Lets say in access i use the design view to MAKE a user view, like a 'packing view' for product packers/shippers.
In access i can also use the design view to MAKE a 'sales view' for a sales employee with an FAQ of products and prices.
Both of these user views would be made in design view, but would in essence be forms, viewable in form view.

So if i havent been confusing, access views are for building/viewing the database, while user views are personalised versions of these.

Hope that helps and hasnt been too confusing!!

Nukeboy

HSC
N/A
Ah that makes perfect sense.
Yeah I see the difference now. Thanks a lot for the help guys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)