Scaling ? (1 Viewer)

Haris

HSC
A friend of mine told that for instance if you get 60 as your raw exam mark in lets say IPT that it gets scaled to like 70-80. Is this true? Explain it to me like I'm 5.

iptgirl

HSC
ahahaahahhahhaahaha
for IPT that is utter bullshit

if you get within the top 90th percentile and get an 88 raw (according to 2014 UAC charts), you get scaled down to 72
http://www.uac.edu.au/documents/atar/2014-ScalingReport.pdf

scaling will only take you up in extension subjects or if your doing an average subject in the top 5 high schools in the state

RecklessRick

HSC
N/A
ahahaahahhahhaahaha
for IPT that is utter bullshit

if you get within the top 90th percentile and get an 88 raw (according to 2014 UAC charts), you get scaled down to 72
http://www.uac.edu.au/documents/atar/2014-ScalingReport.pdf

scaling will only take you up in extension subjects or if your doing an average subject in the top 5 high schools in the state
OP is obviously confusing aligning and scaling - 67 raw mark does indeed align to around 80.

You are correct in saying that IPT doesn't scale too well, but where are you getting your information from on those charts, I don't recall seeing where that information appears. Also what's this business about top 5 high schools in the state, your school rank does not matter whatsoever in scaling.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
OP is obviously confusing aligning and scaling - 67 raw mark does indeed align to around 80.

You are correct in saying that IPT doesn't scale too well, but where are you getting your information from on those charts, I don't recall seeing where that information appears. Also what's this business about top 5 high schools in the state, your school rank does not matter whatsoever in scaling.
Wait so if 67 raw gets "aligned" to an 80, what happens during the scaling process?

RecklessRick

HSC
N/A
Wait so if 67 raw gets "aligned" to an 80, what happens during the scaling process?
I'm sure someone will jump in and correct me, but my understanding is that the aligned mark is what you're given as exam + all assessment mark magic happens and all the scaling happens with the mark you're given as your HSC mark. My understanding is that's broken down into a mark out of 50 for each unit of the course and then scaling is conducted from there, given you a scaled mark for each unit out of 50. Then add up all 10 units of 50 to get you an aggregate out of 500. Then some more magic happens but it's sort of just what percentile your mark out of 500 falls in. E.g. if you get 475 you're in the top 0.05% of students.

Haris

HSC
Can you explain this to me.

So lets say I'm coming first in IPT and my assessment mark is 94 and lets say in tomorrows exam I get something like 70. What mark am I looking at after scaling, aligning and anything else similar to that happens?

asdfasdfer

HSC
Can you explain this to me.

So lets say I'm coming first in IPT and my assessment mark is 94 and lets say in tomorrows exam I get something like 70. What mark am I looking at after scaling, aligning and anything else similar to that happens?
your assessment mark becomes the highest exam mark automatically and your exam mark is divided by your assessment mark, i'm not sure where alignment happens though, fairly sure its before your final mark so that 70 may become a 80~ and would add with your assessment and find the average to give you your HSC mark and band.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)