Calculation questions in HSC exam? (1 Viewer)

the_matrix

HSC
Hello,

My teacher once said that I should know the formulae for calculating file size as a result of bit depth/colour representation/sampling rate of audio data/frame rates/etc (this goes under syllabus dot point "Demands placed on Hardware by Multimedia Systems"), but after looking through tonnes of past papers I haven't found a single calculation question related to this..

So do I need to remember these formulae? because its taking up quite some space in my revision notes

Cheers!

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Industrial Technology - Multimedia Technologies Multiple Choice Question 10.

I'd remember because its potentially examinable.

swagmeister

HSC
BLIT's reply seems to be referencing a different subject?

And it is good to have an understanding of them but from my recall they are not specified in the syllabus and so should not be assessed. The only calculation really 'allowed' is the file size of a database. I had an idea of how they worked but hadn't directly memorised them.

Use the syllabus as your guide and you can't go wrong.

dmcminn

HSC
N/A
They are no longer part of the course. Once they were components of the Multimedia Option topic however they have since been removed - in the rewriting of the syllabus some 3-4 years ago. Whilst it is important to understand the relationships between bits, bytes, kilobytes, etc. and that one character is 8 bits (you may be asked for this to calculate the size of a record in a database), you will not be asked to perform calculations as it is not in the syllabus. It seems that writers of the Catholic Trial often forget this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)