Help with the pill (1 Viewer)

just jessie

HSC
ok, well i just started taking the pill. first time.

im on levlen Ed, and the doctor said that when i get my period start taking the pill in the red section on the day you get your period.

well i got my period on sunday. now the sunday in the red section is the last pill in the red section and a hormone pill, not a sugar pill.

so i took the sugar pill which is on the sunday, the one before the red section starts. do you know what i mean??

now can someone tell me if im doing it right? or should i have taken the hormone pill in the red section.

i took mondays sugar pill today as well which is the start of the red section.

can any one help me understand these damn things, they are so confusing

nono

HSC
N/A
Err....I'm so confused after reading your post...

But this is what I know what you're supposed to do- you take the active pill on the first day of your period- it's weird but that's what you do the very first time you take the contraceptive pill. Just keep taking them- your period will last a little longer than normal cos your hormones will be a bit out of whack.

Then as soon as you finish all the active pills, you start taking the sugar pills- you will have another period called a "withdrawal bleed"- this means having 2 periods in one month.

Then after you take all the sugar pills, you start another pack, taking an active pill on the corrosponding day...you will be on the active pills for 3 weeks then sugar pills for one week. Then it should all make sense again...

Gosh I rambelled for a bit- hope that helps...I know I'm also a bit confusing...

chloe169

finance yo
HSC
nono said:
Err....I'm so confused after reading your post...

But this is what I know what you're supposed to do- you take the active pill on the first day of your period- it's weird but that's what you do the very first time you take the contraceptive pill. Just keep taking them- your period will last a little longer than normal cos your hormones will be a bit out of whack.

Then as soon as you finish all the active pills, you start taking the sugar pills- you will have another period called a "withdrawal bleed"- this means having 2 periods in one month.

Then after you take all the sugar pills, you start another pack, taking an active pill on the corrosponding day...you will be on the active pills for 3 weeks then sugar pills for one week. Then it should all make sense again...

Gosh I rambelled for a bit- hope that helps...I know I'm also a bit confusing...
yeah, what they said.

about the second pack tho - the corresponding day isnt at the start of the week... meaning i wont have had a full three weeks of active pills before i start sugar pills, which seems fucked, so.. should i just ignore the fucking day of the week labels and take 21 active pills consecutively followed by 7 sugar? this makes much more sense methinks..

azzie

so delicious...
HSC
after you take the sugar pills, you dont start another pack. you finish off the active pills left in the pack you have in front of you and then you fill another prescription for another dose.
read the booklet that came with your medication

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
chloe169 said:
should i just ignore the fucking day of the week labels and take 21 active pills consecutively followed by 7 sugar? this makes much more sense methinks..
did the doctor say to do that? you (edit: you didn't start the thread, my mistake) wanted to clarify what your doctor said and now you're going to do something different anyway

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Firstly, do not panic.
You are fine just take the pill from now on following the correct instructions
although do not have unprotected sex because u may not be protected.

this advice i base on
1) 21 Levonorgestrel/ Ethinylestradiol Tablets tablets + 7 non-hormonal
2) you are a first time user of the contraceptive pill

that being said
as was previously noted:

WEEK_____You_______PILL
1_________Period______Hormone one for 7 days
2_________No period ___Homone for 7 days
3_________No period___Homone for 7 days
4_________Period______Placebo (aka sugar pill) for 7 days
5_________No period ___Homone for 7 days
6_________No period___Homone for 7 days
7_________No period___Homone for 7 days
8_________Period______Placebo (aka sugar pill) for 7 days

and so forth..​

MDconsult.com said:
During the first cycle of medication, the patient should be instructed to take 1 pink Levlen Ed tablet daily and then 7 white inert tablets for 28 consecutive days, beginning on Day 1 of her menstrual cycle. (The first day of menstruation is Day 1.) Withdrawal bleeding usually occurs within 3 days following the last pink tablet. (If Levlen Ed tablets are first taken later than the first day of the first menstrual cycle of medication or postpartum, contraceptive reliance should not be placed on Levlen Ed tablets until after the first 7 consecutive days of administration. The possibility of ovulation and conception prior to initiation of medication should be considered.)

When switching from another oral contraceptive, Levlen Ed tablets should be started on the first day of bleeding following the last active tablet taken of the previous oral contraceptive.
Please also read
http://www.medsafe.govt.nz/Profs/datasheet/l/levlenedtab.htm said:
How to start LEVLEN ED
START WITH THE FIRST TABLET FROM THE GREEN SECTION MARKED WITH THAT DAY OF THE WEEK, in accordance with one of the following:
No preceding hormonal contraceptive use (in the past month)

Tablet taking has to start on day 1 of the woman's natural cycle (i.e. the first day of her menstrual bleeding). Starting on days 2 - 3 is allowed, but if this occurs a barrier contraceptive method is recommended in addition for the first 7 days of tablet taking.

Last edited:

arrested development
HSC
Just skip the sugar pill. Then you'll never have to have your period again.

alby

cool duckie
HSC
jessie: i'm on brenda, but the layout of levlen sounds similar. what i think you were meant to do is take the sunday one from the end of the red section and then go straight on to the active ones. by starting before the red section, i guess it just means you'll have a longer period before you get all the hormones, etc.

just follow what you're doing until you get towards the end of this month, and then check with your chemist or doctor to see where to start for your next sheet/pack (depending on if you have 3 months together or just the 1), so that you're in the right place for future months.

just jessie

HSC
god, i am so so so soooooooo confused right now.

my doctor said, when i get my period i have to start in the red section on the right day, so if i got them on the thursday then i had to take the thursday pill in the red section.

however, i got my period on a sunday. now the sunday in the red section is a hormone pill, not a sugar pill, and i thought that i should of been taking the sugar ones while i have my period.

i took the sunday pill on the one before the red section. which is a sugar pill.

arrrgghhhh, have i totally screwed all this up? will i still be protected???

arrested development
HSC
If you're worried that you won't be protected, go back to your doctor and ask for a prescription for Primolut N. It's like a super strong version of the pill. It's good.

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
You should be fine. It just might make your current period shorter than usual (it will take a few days for the hormone pills to kick in to stop your period), nothing to worry about. I'm sure you're taking it right.
Oh yeah, and you're definately not protected yet, as phizzy said, it takes two weeks.

Last edited:

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
just jessie said:

my doctor said, when i get my period i have to start in the red section on the right day, so if i got them on the thursday then i had to take the thursday pill in the red section.

however, i got my period on a sunday. now the sunday in the red section is a hormone pill, not a sugar pill, and i thought that i should of been taking the sugar ones while i have my period.

i took the sunday pill on the one before the red section. which is a sugar pill.

take the hormone pill ..
cos if u read the table.. in ure 1st week its the exception to the rule.. u get ure periods and ure on the hormone not the sugar pill
you havent screwed it up ..

about protection
how about make him wear a condom? or wait?
sorri.. its all that u can do.. till ure in lik 1-2 months in.. otherwise they dun offer anything sound...

problem is tat if u take Primolut u may get heavy side effects

3 mths without placebo can be done.. but usually they lik to give the woman's body a break... usually its older women.. or endometerosis or other... not usually for a low dose pill in her late teens

Master Yoda: yes that is kinda true :)

Last edited:

chloe169

finance yo
HSC
k nevermind guys im a fucking retard i was following the arrows wrong.

im surprised that the pill doesnt have a higher failure rate for the dickheads like me who cant follow simple instructions. and i got high 90s uai.

nuff said.

HSC
N/A
just jessie said:

Sugar pill = no protection. Make sure you're relying on more than just sugar to stop you getting pregnant!

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
what does the pill have to do with love and relationships?

anyways gw guys, everyone giving her bad advice so she ends up pregnant.

my advice: read the instructions, do what they say. Plain and simple, unless you are braindead in which case it can be a little bit difficult

pinkblinkbarbie

seduce me
HSC
just jessie said:

ok im on levlen ed, and what youve said sounds like youre doing it right.
get your packet out and look at and ill explain something:
you have seven sugar pills, which start on a monday, but the saturday and sunday before that monday, are just normal section right? BUT they are also sugar pills, the reason they arent in the red section is because it takes two days for your body to realise "yep supposed to be having my period now", thats why monday is in the red section, its the day you should get your period. the red sction covers the week your bleeding. the last two days in the red section are saturday and sunday, and are active pills, you will still bleed a bit on these days(maybe not, i dont sometimes) because they are still in the red section. but it takes your body those two days for it to again realise that "yep periods over" sort of thing.
if your doctor said take it on the sunday, your doing what he said and your doing it right, read the instructions your pill came with, they are pretty easy to follow.
and i think you taking the suagr pill is correct beacsue your having your period, so you should have taken a sugar pill. but its ok, your body will adjust to the pill anyway.
if you finish your pill packet on a saturday, (you will), you take the sugar sunday pill when you start your new packet. just like you did with this packet. make sense? sorry if i confuse you.
also you arent protected with the pill for 14 days of taking it for the first time if you arent using another form of contraception.
hope ive helped..

lilkiwifruit

HSC
N/A
chloe169 said:
k nevermind guys im a fucking retard i was following the arrows wrong.

im surprised that the pill doesnt have a higher failure rate for the dickheads like me who cant follow simple instructions. and i got high 90s uai.

nuff said.
Don't worry.. You're not the only one that gets this wrong! Most people are confused when they take it for the first time. Just keep following the arrows and remember to go back to take the remaining hormone pills after the sugar pills if you started in the middle of the week or something. Oh and you might experience some side effects after two weeks of taking it and hopefully it will improve after your body realises what is happening! :D:D:D

chloe169

finance yo
HSC
lilkiwifruit said:
Don't worry.. You're not the only one that gets this wrong! Most people are confused when they take it for the first time. Just keep following the arrows and remember to go back to take the remaining hormone pills after the sugar pills if you started in the middle of the week or something. Oh and you might experience some side effects after two weeks of taking it and hopefully it will improve after your body realises what is happening! :D:D:D
I keep forgetting to take it, Im hopeles...

Ive forgotten 3 times in the last 8 or 9 days... :(

Anyone else have this problem?

alby

cool duckie
HSC
try setting an alarm on your phone/watch, also helps if you have a time when you either generally wont have anything on, or it wont be too hard to take it. i chose 2pm because it's in the middle of the day (but not lunch time), i dont have to worry about tafe (nights), and i'll definitely be awake (enjoy sleeping in till 11 or 12).

make sure you have your pills on you if you're likely not to be at home within a few hours of your time. remember, you've got a 12 hr safety net with the combined pills, but only 2hrs with the mini pills (check your pack to confirm it)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)