Long distance relationships . . . do they ever work?.?. (1 Viewer)

flexistrut

HSC
i just ended a long distance relationship. and i was wondering if i was stupid for even attempting it . . . . . any thoughts:confused:

ioniser

HSC
my friend did as well,they were out for 3 months then the whole of the 3 month holiday before uni she went overseas and when she got back things felt awkward between the two

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
it really, really depends on the feelings.....if ur with a person that you want in your life, forever, you won't let go, no matter what...cos i've been there done that...and believe me, nothing breaks you up...apart from the missing the person part haha...but if your relationships isnt that serious..and if you're young sometimes (yeah it's true....age plays a big part..MOST of the time...examples in front of me :) )...you tend not to care about these types of things....or if you have discovered that you have a compatibility mismatch...or if you just have issues...meh....lots of factors.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i don't think it was stupid to attempt it.

if you knew the person from before and you have spent a lot of time together and then they move away, it's obvious you should attempt it, and it will probably last

if you knew the person from before and you spent a little time together, you should attempt it and it might work. you might find things are strange when you finally spend time together though because you're not used to it

if the relationship begins when the person is living far away and you never see them it would be very hard from the beginning. you may as well attempt it but i think there is only a small chance of it lasting.

ladyknight

HSC
Aw, hug to you... Well, I've been overseas for the past two months emailing my friends/soon-after-I-left-friend-turned-boyfriend, and we're still going stronger than ever- I think having a mandatory break helped us build on the depth of our relationship, but I reckon only with total commitment...

Last edited:

MzbLaZeIT

im am teh seks.
HSC
not my thing, if im going out with some1, its so i can spend time with them, touch them, be with them, not so i can have telephone calls everynight saying how much i miss them and how faithful i am, i would more likely cheat on the person lol

different story if you have been together for a while and some1 has to move for work etc, then i suppose you could try? but i mean, id probably break up with them.

i know a girl who met a guy from melb, at a wedding in sydney, they are dating and speak to eachother over the fone alot, and visit eachother once a month for a week.. i duno its not my thing! i dont need the tears and drama for when they have to leave etc.

davin

HSC
N/A
i do personally know two couples that are now married where there were large distances involved...both at least 4 or 5 thousand km. actually..one about that much, and one about double that.
they're very difficult...and require both people to willing to go through a whole lot of tough circumstances.

in my own experience with it....i had one last about 2 1/2 years and then end because the girl i'd been with wasn't satisfied with it, or didn't have the feelings for me i had for her, or something of such nature. either way though, i don't regret getting into it...even though i figured it'd end. at least i tried....and i figure, all you need to do is try.
i'd do it again if the girl was worth it

HSC
I say they do work, but there is a lot of work involved. If your are really into the person, your feelings will keep you two together. But things that it might involve is at least talking to your partner, either through msn and talking over the phone and even messages will help, just so you have some type of contact with each other. Plus it helps if you at least see each other once a week or fortnight. Just so you can have some kind of physical contact with your partner. I say, if your willing to put in the work into making it work, then go for it, but if your one of those people who arent into phone calls, msn etc then dont bother, cause its those things that you need to keep in contact with your partner. Well anyway, goodluck!!!

azzie

so delicious...
HSC
my mate is dating a guy who lives 7 hours away.

she sees him once a month.

that would REALLY suck.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
It'd be completely dependent on the person and how compatible you were with them. Personally there'd have to be something really special about a girl for me to want to go out with her when I can only see her once a month, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility.

shortie_689

HSC
my bf lives an hour drive from me an a 2 hour train trip an we are fine... happily in love and been together nearly 6 months so we are fine it gets hard from time to time cause he doesnt have his license but we are managing

Nesty

Proud TB =)
HSC
friend did it with this guy over in america.. think they have been together for.. aw.. must have been 3 years and a bit more..

stupid if you ask me.. especially seeing her crying all the time over him and the distance between them.. but quite admirable as well you know.. how they both can hold it for so long..

olchik

HSC
It depends on how long it lasts... If not so long I think a couple can manage with it. If it takes for a long time everything may happend..

$a®e

HSC
i recently moved for uni and my bf and i now live 5.5 hours away from one another, things are going wonderful...the distance is making us stronger and our love for eachother has grown(we both realised this wen we saw eachother the other weekend)...i guess its all about the individual in the case of doing a long distance relationship, if ur in it for the long haul then ur love, friendship and dedication to one another will be enough to hold it together.

Malevolence

Oh so cool
HSC
N/A
Personaly "Flexie" I think that it wasnt the distance that made the relationship fail but you. YOu and your own short comings. Come on.... the cap, all the time. What the hell? I think thats why it failed... Becasue you're a dick head

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)