Should you date someone that is significantly taller or shorter than you? (1 Viewer)

enoilgam

HSC
I'll be a dead honest, but I'd find it a bit weird (mainly because I am quite tall and it would be rare to find a girl taller). But I wouldnt let something like that stop me.

buriza

conviction
HSC
Does it really matter?
Like most physical attributes, it does not really matter, but individuals have preferences anyway. With that said, I prefer someone taller than me, which probably would not be that hard to achieve. :awesome:

enoilgam

HSC
Like most physical attributes, it does not really matter, but individuals have preferences anyway. With that said, I prefer someone taller than me, which probably would not be that hard to achieve. :awesome:
See, to me, I think there has to be some degree of physical attraction.

buriza

conviction
HSC
I agree with what you are saying, however what I am more saying is in the long-term scheme of things, personality attributes are going to ultimately be more significant than physical attributes. And it could be argued for some individuals that in getting to know someone, personality attributes can certainly compensate for "average" physical attributes, e.g. I find that if I learn someone is personally not appealing as a person, I will no longer see them as attractive physically either (even if from an objective perception, they may well be).

enoilgam

HSC
I agree with what you are saying, however what I am more saying is in the long-term scheme of things, personality attributes are going to ultimately be more significant than physical attributes. And it could be argued for some individuals that in getting to know someone, personality attributes can certainly compensate for "average" physical attributes.
Fair point, I kind of interpreted what you were saying as been the whole "looks dont matter at all" type thing.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
I agree with what you are saying, however what I am more saying is in the long-term scheme of things, personality attributes are going to ultimately be more significant than physical attributes. And it could be argued for some individuals that in getting to know someone, personality attributes can certainly compensate for "average" physical attributes, e.g. I find that if I learn someone is personally not appealing as a person, I will no longer see them as attractive physically either (even if from an objective perception, they may well be).
That's what I thought too. Like personality matters more.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
I agree with what you are saying, however what I am more saying is in the long-term scheme of things, personality attributes are going to ultimately be more significant than physical attributes.
false

appearance is immediately obvious and will immediately determine whether or not a relationship is formed. personality is simply more subtle and is not fully obvious until a relationship has already been formed

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
In the study, which was recently published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, psychologist Andrea Meltzer tracked over 450 newlywed couples during the course of four years and posed the question: does a good-looking spouse lead to a more satisfying union?

What Meltzer and her team discovered was that spousal attractiveness does play a major role in marital satisfaction — but only for men. In other words, men care about looks more than women do.

The authors write, “The significant effect of wives’ attractiveness on husbands’ satisfaction was significantly stronger than the nonsignificant effect of husbands’ attractiveness on wives’ satisfaction, indicating that partner physical attractiveness played a larger role in predicting husbands’ marital satisfaction than it did in predicting wives’ marital satisfaction.”

http://psycnet.apa.org/index.cfm?fa=buy.optionToBuy&id=2013-35735-001

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
I'd prefer someone taller in general, even if just slightly :) (LETS GET PHYSICAL, PHYSICAL - lol - first thing that popped into my mind)

buriza

conviction
HSC
false

appearance is immediately obvious and will immediately determine whether or not a relationship is formed. personality is simply more subtle and is not fully obvious until a relationship has already been formed
It depends on the individual and their dating methods, e.g. obviously not all individuals are going to go straight into dating someone. Some people date after developing a fairly decent friendship, of which personality attributes will become more notable.

dangerouss

cindy is such a bitch
HSC
I'd prefer someone taller in general, even if just slightly :) (LETS GET PHYSICAL, PHYSICAL - lol - first thing that popped into my mind)
You're the kind of girl who wouldn't date a guy shorter than she is, right?

buriza

conviction
HSC
Define significantly taller/shorter? Funnily enough, I was just discussing this with my best friend last night :p
I would probably say significantly taller/shorter is ~15 centimetres. Maybe ~20 centimetres though. Significant makes it sound... significant.

you mean she's like 99% of other women
I don't think I've ever met a female that says she prefers males shorter than her. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)