Dating your tutor at uni? (1 Viewer)

niceshoes

HSC
N/A
I never thought this could happen to me, but... it appears that I have fallen for my tutor.

Is there a university policy that forbids tutors from dating students? I go to the University of Sydney btw, and I'm waaaaaay over the legal age for all sorts of shit, so this is just a matter of university legality. Specifically, I'm asking for advice from anyone who is or ever has been a tutor in uni - or even better, at USyd: will I get him into trouble if I were to slip him my phone number at the end of class one day? Were you told when you were employed to specifically abstain from having relationships with your students? Does that extend to after you are no longer teaching them? I think he marks assignments and MAYBE exams (not sure about that), so I am well aware that he may not be able to contact me until after the semester is over, and all the results have been released.

I'm female, btw, and in my third and final year of study. He's a PhD student, so we're really not that different in terms of age. Thanks for all your help, y'all :wavey:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I never thought this could happen to me, but... it appears that I have fallen for my tutor.

Is there a university policy that forbids tutors from dating students? I go to the University of Sydney btw, and I'm waaaaaay over the legal age for all sorts of shit, so this is just a matter of university legality. Specifically, I'm asking for advice from anyone who is or ever has been a tutor in uni - or even better, at USyd: will I get him into trouble if I were to slip him my phone number at the end of class one day? Were you told when you were employed to specifically abstain from having relationships with your students? Does that extend to after you are no longer teaching them? I think he marks assignments and MAYBE exams (not sure about that), so I am well aware that he may not be able to contact me until after the semester is over, and all the results have been released.

I'm female, btw, and in my third and final year of study. He's a PhD student, so we're really not that different in terms of age. Thanks for all your help, y'all :wavey:
My friend lost his now ex-gf because she started banging his tutor.

I'd probably wait until the semester is over...

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A

lol pretty sure everyone has at some point found a tutor/lecturer attractive.

Yeah you can date your tutor. There are plenty of tutors who just happen to tutor a class their girlfriend/boyfriend is taking.

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC

Yeah you can date your tutor. There are plenty of tutors who just happen to tutor a class their girlfriend/boyfriend is taking.
So ppl are allowed to do this?

Omg sounds like a gr8 way to get good marks

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC

aren't lecturers like rlly old??

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

some of the young PhD candidates taking english classes :spin: :spin: :spin:

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
If tutors are Honours students, 4th/5th year, while their gf/bf is in a 5 year double degree, it's not really that rare.

No, not every lecturer is old. But still lecturer is on another level. Tutors are aight.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
If tutors are Honours students, 4th/5th year, while their gf/bf is in a 5 year double degree, it's not really that rare.

No, not every lecturer is old. But still lecturer is on another level. Tutors are aight.
This

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A

But they would get easy marks

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC

I used to be a tutor at USyd and there is a policy where tutors have to avoid being in a position where there is a conflict of interest iirc. I don't think it explicitly says that relationships are forbidden, but the tutor must maintain a code of conduct to be fair to all students. Usually the tutor has a responsibility to consult the head of school or whoever is in charge of managing the tutors if they find themselves in a position where there is a conflict of interest. It hasn't happened in my cohort of tutors but I think there are options such as providing the paper to another marker or something like that.

Don't fully take my word for it though, because I'm basing this off piecing together my memory of the employment contract I signed ages ago haha.

HSC
There's a story somehow related to this, where this girl had a tutor (honours student) where most of the girls found attractive/ had a crush on. I don't know how he looks like, so I'll rely on their opinion of him. However I think there were two people taking the class. So the tutor and the girl get along really well- he keeps reminding her that "he's only 2 or 3 years older than her", nudging her randomly when he walks past her seat and teasing some little things she did but once got her mark lower by correcting the other tutor's marking. She only had him for a semester but kept visiting him afterwards at uni. Then they didn't get to see each other frequently, she got a bf at the uni who was in all her classes and the tutor had his own stuff.

So given an out-of-uni context, would you still fall for him?

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
My lab supervisor used to hit on every girl in the class

He was an ass tho

He asked for my snapchat and I was like lol

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Probably wanted to show off his phallus to first years because nobody in his own year wants anything to do with him

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)