Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Pill

HSC
    this is from a collection of medical textbooks..

ok there are 32 different forms of 'the pill'

major three formulations -
    1) fixed ratio of oestrogen/Progestins
    (synthetic hormones.. so prolly in a metal bucket )
    2)phasic ratio of oestrogen/Progestins (based on changing levels of the cycle)
    3)just Progestins (think mini-pill)

all do the same thing..
    -hold back ovulation,

-change the cervical (opening in to uterus) mucus so it becomes hostile to sperm,

-and alters the endometrium lining of the uterus [place where eggs get implanted]

'Withdrawal bleeding'- medical term - the uterine wall begins to shed after about 3 days after the hormones are stopped. As there is no wall for egg implementation and the egg release has been slowed then u shouldnt get pregnant.
    Last edited by +Po1ntDeXt3r+; 18 Aug 2004 at 5:41 PM.

HSC
    side effects are due to the hormones being in blood and many different tissue hav these hormone receptors.. so they are not always directed at the uterus and ovaries..

it may cause up to 2 years of infertility in women after discontinuation.. assuming still of childbearing age

should not be used if the patient has history of blood vessel problems and certain types of diabetes.

Smoking should be avoided during use.. especialli over 35's
    I take no responsibility for this post's content

HSC
    Quote Originally Posted by iambored
    so then there must be different types? some doctors don't prescribe the pill because they believe it cases something like an abortion - the egg can be fertilised, but it can't be implanted, therefore the fertilised egg doesn't have a chance of living and they don't believe in it.
    those are VERY conservative doctors.. its their duty of care to still send u to a doctor who will abide to ure request unless it is unreasonable.

about the different types.. doctors vary the doseage base on the person..

some can cause very adverse reactions due to the amount of hormones.. esp acne.. hence the doctor would find a lower oestrogen: progestin ratio pill.

with some conditions.. the mini pill is used to stop it aggravating other medical conditions
    Last edited by +Po1ntDeXt3r+; 18 Aug 2004 at 5:50 PM.
    I take no responsibility for this post's content

HSC
    and the triphasic ones are given to women who have side effects on the monophasic ones, the fluctuations in the amount of hormones in the triphasic ones are meant to mimick the normal fluctuations of a women during her cycle, making a more "natural" effect.

btw, girls who are extremely overweight are not advised to take the pill. obesity heightens the chance of DVT on the pill, and all sorts of other nasty clots. Also, you will always start out on the lowest dose pill. The way they know what dosage you're meant to be taking, is if you experience heavy or regular "break through bleeding" while taking your pill - i.e, bleeding before you start the sugar pills. If this happens regularly they increase your dosage.

My advice for anyone deciding to go on the pill: don't pick a pill because the box is pretty, there are companies who make gorgeous looking pill boxes which cost you $25-$35 a month - the same companies then make the exact same pill in a plain 2 colour box (heh, sometimes black and white) for $3.80 (if you receive concessions) or around $10. There's no difference between the products except for the boxes. You're just paying for packaging.
    Last edited by yulia; 19 Aug 2004 at 5:31 AM.
    B. Arts & Sciences (German & Pharmacology), USYD
    B. Health Science, USYD
    M. Health Informatics, USYD
    B. Science (Behavioural), Swinburne University Hawthorne

I'm mean because you're stupid.

I complete the Squar3 Queenroot's Avatar
    HSC
    N/A

Re: The Pill

lmao this thread is so misinformed it's great

HSC

Re: The Pill