What is your Major Work idea? (1 Viewer)

hope14

HSC
Hey everyone!

I've just been (somewhat forcefully :D) convinced to change from a short story to a critical response so am a bit behind the ball on ideas for critical responses (especially compared to what I am sure all of you are up to!).

So, make me feel either better or worse...

What is your idea so far?
What have you done research wise?

Basically how are all of your critical responses going so far?!

At this stage, I'm thinking of the expression of teen conformity in 'formularised' YA fiction.

Thoughts?

Also, how specific should my question be at this stage? Some people are saying it should be totally, 100% narrow by now but others say keep it broad and research broadly and then narrow it down later...

Thanks and good luck to everyone attempting the crazily high, daunting mountain that is Extension 2 in any medium!!!!!!!!!

HSC
I totally get that, I was forced to do the same thing, but in Term 1 this year, so I basically had only 2 terms to research and write the whole thing! Feel better? Haha, but I ended up doing okay internally though, and I'm sure you'll be fine, just make sure that you research thoroughly and write as you go, rather than leaving it all to the last minute. My question only really took shape and became specific as I did the second or third draft, so don't be afraid to change and edit your work as you have new ideas. Good luck, hope it all goes well! :)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd say start researching broadly at this point and it will narrow down over time, it's better to end up with too much in the major work and cull it down then be attempting to extend the word count. Also as you have changed over recently, you don't want to limit your major work's wings already.

_BD

HSC
I always knew I would do a critical response as it's my strength.. I briefly considered film, but knew I would be out of my depth. So far, I've done hardly anything. I have my topic, a stack of questions, some literary theories and the like, but only a few ways to potentially explore my topic, and I don't know how to narrow it down.

So I'm in the same boat as you!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)