First three sentences.... (1 Viewer)

foolish bowie

HSC
After reading the first three words in another thread, I wanted to read more!

Post your first three sentences of your major work, with or without quotes.

I'm very interested!

Here are mine:

[FONT=&quot]"[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Why were we here?! Hadn’t these people ever seen blonde hair?! Why couldn’t my family be more normal?! [/FONT]"

alax dillon

HSC
She decided to fight back.
“Well, why the hell can’t you do this one little thing for me, Thomas? I ask you all the time, just to do a few small things around the house for me but can you ever do it?

Charity F

póg mo thóin
HSC
N/A
have you ever read your dialogue out aloud to yourself?

alax dillon said:
“Well, why the hell can’t you do this one little thing for me, Thomas? I ask you all the time, just to do a few small things around the house for me but can you ever do it?
seriously who the hell says that

alax dillon

HSC
have you ever read your dialogue out aloud to yourself?

seriously who the hell says that
hmmm. i did read it outloud, and i thought it would make sense. i mean i would say that kinda thing. i know stacks of people who would say that kinda thing.

HSC
Use an image or something.
Did she clench her fists, narrow her eyes, and/or grit her teeth?

Show her deciding to fight back.
And especially in such a heated situation, keep your dialogue brief and punchy. She's at her limit. Make your dialogue audible.

alax dillon

HSC
the guy is lazy and doesnt really care, hes just sitting there waiting for her to finish, but everytime he goes "yeah", "okay honey" etc she gets shittier. just before "she decided to fight back" he told her off and thats what she did. he keeps letting her speak long sentences cause hes got the shits and doesnt care. his lack of a caring attitude is making her even more angry and shes trying to prove her point.

Charity F

póg mo thóin
HSC
N/A
exactly. scaredytiger pretty much hits the nail on the head.

hmmm. i did read it outloud, and i thought it would make sense. i mean i would say that kinda thing. i know stacks of people who would say that kinda thing.
sure you do.

several things i have an issue with:
  • the fullname 'Thomas'
  • present tense in 'i ask you'
  • syntax: 'but can you ever do it?'
  • long, mostly unpunctuated second sentence
it's not believable, at all. i'm not interested. and this is supposed to be the first couple of sentences in your story? :/

HSC
Still, imagine you're in that situation.
You have a partner who just made you FURIOUS. You are finally letting yourself express the frustration that you normally keep inside.

Tell him he's wrong. Accuse him, as he accused you.

alax dillon

HSC
shes more stubborn than that. use of the full first name is because she always calls him that, he is never called tom by anyone, and this is who she is. always arguing a point

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
shes more stubborn than that. use of the full first name is because she always calls him that, he is never called tom by anyone, and this is who she is. always arguing a point
just have her say

"HOW ABOUT I SLAP YOUR SHIT?"

shit will be so cash

HSC
Okay, whatever, don't listen to the person who is studying creative writing and the person who excelled in EE2.

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
i don't study EE2, but from my understanding.. their observations would most probably be correct.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well, mine is:

Eight-seventeen in the morning and there was one less towel on the towel rack than there should’ve been. Normal observers would not have noticed, but Sophie did. She didn’t bother to look for the missing towel, for there it was, on the floor.

Third sentence I feel is lacking. But hey, that's what drafting is for.

beardedwoman

HSC
I'd probably take advice from other people, or at least consider it. I'm only doing Advanced English but I fully see where Scaredytiger is coming from, and I definitely think that if you take her suggestion it'll be a more engaging introduction, as well as realistic. It'll benefit you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)