Need Help For Clarification BEFORE Thursday Please! :) (1 Viewer)

annakristo

New Member
Joined
Nov 7, 2011
Messages
12
Gender
Female
HSC
2012
Hi guys,
I'm having a litttttle trouble with the Powers That Be (read: BOS). I've been fairly sick and off school since late May-ish, so my English teachers have said I needn't submit my Major Work Draft and Reflection Statement for internal assessment; the marks I get for the actual HSC submission will give me my internal ones.

ENTER STAGE LEFT MY PROBLEMS.
Firstly, there's no guide given by the BOS for writing a Reflection Statement, like it has done for the Viva and the Research Project.
Please can someone help me out here? Preferably by telling me more than just, 'it means you need to reflect on what you've written'. (I kind of got that.)
Secondly, is there meant to be a foreword/preamble in your major work, and if so, is it included in the word count?
I've roamed the BOS site long and far, but NURTHURNG has turned up - à la classic BOS.
Thirdly, any good ideas (other than translating words into other languages, which is what most people have told me to do) for devising a title?

Hopefully I can clarify this all with my mentor before Thursday (when THE FINISHED PRODUCT is due), but if not, this is my best bet!


Thanks in advance (and good luck to you all!),
Anna
 

Amleops

Perpetual Student
Joined
Aug 23, 2011
Messages
811
Gender
Male
HSC
2012
Well in terms of the Reflection Statement the criteria we were provided was to include:

  • The initial vision for your Major Work, including purpose and audience.
  • The ways in which your Major Work is an extension of the knowledge, understanding and skills developed in Advanced and Extension 1 English.
  • Your independent investigation into form and content and how this impacted on your Major Work.
  • Your process of composition including stages of development.
  • The role of your journal in composing your Major Work, allowing you to record, reflect, speculate, question, plan, organise and draft your composition.
  • Your evaluation of the textual integrity of your Major Work.
  • The research you have conducted; provide a bibliography.

Just incorporate them and you will be fine. There is no real set structure as such, you're free to reflect in which ever way you see fit.

In regards to the foreword, no, you don't need to provide one. You can if you wish, but I would think that it would go towards the word count. You don't really need to introduce it anyway, a good story should develop a solid setting and story line early on. You can use footnotes to explain somewhat ambiguous parts of your story which don't count towards the word limit, otherwise I'd stay away from it.

For a title, all you can really do is summarise what your story is about. Or you could use a metaphor describing the situation. You could use foreign languages in your title but it is worthless if it doesn't convey a deeper meaning, for example, my story title is in Latin, but seeing as it is a commonly used notion in classical literature and is still referred to in contemporary society as such, I consider it to be quite fitting for my story. It can have as much grandiose as you wish but if it doesn't reflect the story then it won't bring you any advantage.

Hope that helps. :)
 

annakristo

New Member
Joined
Nov 7, 2011
Messages
12
Gender
Female
HSC
2012
Thanks for your help :) I already had the criteria, but knowing it's "freestyle reflection" is a comfort.

My story is based on an extended conceit, so that makes footnotes fairly impractical and also makes my title hard to come up with.

Latin? Did you translate it yourself, have someone else translate it or use an online translator? I wouldn't trust online translators, especially with a language like Latin that has so many conjugations in comparison to English.
 

Amleops

Perpetual Student
Joined
Aug 23, 2011
Messages
811
Gender
Male
HSC
2012
Our school chaplain speaks Latin fluently, so he was able to translate a few phrases for me.

Yeah your concept is a bit hard to come up with a title off the top of my head, what you may want to do is search through your major work for specific lines. Are there any that you are particularly proud of? You could use that. If your story is based solely around extended conceit then there must be many ways you have expressed that in your story.
 

annakristo

New Member
Joined
Nov 7, 2011
Messages
12
Gender
Female
HSC
2012
That lucky man. Good on you :)
Don't worry, I've got something ^_^ thank god for Hegel. Haha, there are MANY ways it's been expressed. Thanks for all your help! Best of luck :)
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top