Poetry Major Work Titles (it is nearly time) (1 Viewer)

shimmy&shine

HSC
Why does it seem that I am only the one out of a few, who seems to be starting threads. It seems to like a desolate, infertile, isolated landscape in these poetry forums. Where is all the activity and excitement?

Anyway, if you are doing a poetry major work, what are you going to title it? I figured mine out like in May or April so I'm well sorted in that department.

So please share your major work title, then I'll share mine. Just so it can be guarenteed that someone will reply quickly! lol

From the poast showcases my favourite titles have been 'Scattered Peas', 'Poetry-shaped photographs', 'Storm in a Teacup (if only that was origingal thought)' and 'Hawk from a Handsaw'. You can probably tell my style now. I dislike bland, uninspiring, unexciting titles.

Like could you imagine an HSC poetry marker is handed your major work. They naturally glance at the front cover and it says something like 'Concrete'. Well I guess maybe that could work depending on the marker, but anyway, tell me your major work titles.

thanks alot.

:)

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Titles? Lol I guess titles are 'kinda important', I think the best 'titles' are Ironic or Satirical. It's hard to 'name the poem', it's kinda unfair I guess.

I had a few, "When you stare into dem eyes", the poem doesn't really have many 'modern techniques', it's just a really big pun for "Death and Love."

I don't think the title matters, I had an idea to flip a poem upside down, name up top, Title down below. ( I bet now people steal the Idea), the idea is using it for an autobiographical purpose the title at the end is 'putting a title to your life', undone (to my knowledge).

shimmy&shine

HSC
LottoX said:
I was thinkinging:

"The Pure"

My work has the same inspiration as "Paper Skin", but I develop different ideas to him; concentrating less on human weakness, but more on the rift between man an enlightenment.

It's an ironic title.
I loved 'Paper Skin', (it's written by a 'she' by the way (i think! lol)). Yeah, and she used Dante's Inferno, and you are using naother one of his texts. I can't wait to read you work, or everyone else for that matter.

The Pure - sounds nice and, well pure! It is definitely ironic and i reckon it'l draw someone attention. It's really good and simple. It's great when the most simplist of words are rendered so significant.

shimmy&shine

HSC
sam04u said:
I don't think the title matters, I had an idea to flip a poem upside down, name up top, Title down below. ( I bet now people steal the Idea), the idea is using it for an autobiographical purpose the title at the end is 'putting a title to your life', undone (to my knowledge).
The flip poem sounds awesome. It reminds of this female poet (forgot her name) where she used a symmetry technique in her poem. too hard to explain, but interesting. Maybe Jane Durham?

cool technique, but then how would people get it? Like wouldn't they be 'hey what the hell is it doing at the bottom?' not a good response, but then again yours might be aimed at highly literate academic experimental-form-loving readers.

sam04u said:
( I bet now people steal the Idea)
You know they have when you see itin the showcase! How come you didn't do it. By the way, which major work did you write?

shimmy&shine

HSC
emily_lestrange said:
My Major Work title is 'Blood Branches and a Line of Leaves'
nice imagery - i really want to read your poetry!

Wasn't yours about family? Like different families? How does that relate at all?

shimmy&shine

HSC
emily_lestrange said:
My Major Work title is 'Blood Branches and a Line of Leaves'

Wasn't yours about family? Like different families? How does that relate at all?

Oh, acutally i get it now, 'branches' and lines', maybe like a family tree - or am I completely off the mark!?

I also like the use of alliteration. It's cool when you see simultaeous use of poetic techniques in just a few words.

shimmy&shine

HSC
Mine is titled

To Scour the Creaming Crests

opinons?
and are you guys going to include a contents page? It seems that most people are increasingly doing it.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
shimmy&shine said:
You know they have when you see itin the showcase! How come you didn't do it. By the way, which major work did you write?
Lol, I don't do Ext 2, I wont be doing any major works :D. I just like poetry.

I haven't really had time to do any poetry lately, been to pre-occupied with other things. Perhaps, I'll write a poem like that in the near-future. I'd like to see your style of poetry, mind posting something?

Also, great title, 'To Scour The Creaming Crest', It's kinda ambiguous though.

Last edited:

shimmy&shine

HSC
sam04u said:
I'd like to see your style of poetry, mind posting something?
I might put my major work up after the submission date to help future ee2 poets and their major works. But posting something now... well here's a tiny bit for you guys from my Moon poems...

Moon
Leaks milk from her left breast
paints a pallid landscape
scours the rings of Saturn
for her luminance and pearly hues

This is the first half of my poem 'Waning Gibbous', and I utilise concrete poetry for these. Which means it's in the shape of the moon, 'if that makes sense, but here I've just written it as Free Verse instead of Concrete Verse.

sam04u said:
Also, great title, 'To Scour The Creaming Crest', It's kinda ambiguous though.
Which is a very very good thing. Like one of my favourite collections of poetry is called 'Blue Grass'.

In five words I've tried to incorporate and create a concotion of many meanings, namely, the Moon, the Moon Goddess, the transformations of the Moon, Plath's poetry, her persona, her father, Otto, and also my own core concept of 'The White Goddess'. A lot of things.

It'll take a gigantic paragraph to explain how this works, but yeah, that's it, in a nutshell. Thanks for your compliments.

Last edited:

broken_jukebox

HSC
Previous Showcase titles:

Poetry in Young Writers Showcase

2001:
Twenty-Four Impressionist Preludes – Angharad Jane Davis, North Sydney Girls High School
Prism: A Collection of Refracted Moments – Laura Jane Skerlj, Alstonville High School
Fresh Meat – Fiona Kathleen Wright, St. George Girls High School

2002:
Paper Skin – Emma Dunlop Hill, North Sydney Girls High School
Scattered Peas – Malinda Zerefos, Wenona School North Sydney

2003:
A Hawk from a Handsaw – Renee Attard, Baulkham Hills High School
Storm in a Tea Cup – Alice Foulcher, Bishop Druitt College
Serious Banter – Kuan-Kuan Tian, Sydney Grammar School

2004:
What Shall We Do Tomorrow – Kathleen Bowie, Meriden School

2005:
Surface Simplicity – Matthew Ji Xing Cai, Concord High School
On the Brink – Leah Hannam, Alstonville High School
Poetry-shaped Photographs – Bianca Chang, Alstonville High School

shimmy&shine

HSC
Thanks for that. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get my hands on the 2001 showcase, so I haven't read those. I really like the idea of "A collection of refracted moments".

I wonder what happened with 2004? Only One poetry major work?!

Jukebox, I bet you were pleased when you were typing your name up, lol.

And, well done to Alstonville High School! *claps*

emily_lestrange

HSC
shimmy&shine said:

Oh, acutally i get it now, 'branches' and lines', maybe like a family tree - or am I completely off the mark!?

I also like the use of alliteration. It's cool when you see simultaeous use of poetic techniques in just a few words.

Yes it is a family tree... Correct lol..

flirter_988

chocolate solves all
HSC
just wondering is 'storms in my head' too corny? my major work is on dealing with depression and emotions. it also sounds too close to 'storm in a teacup', but i came up with the name before i read showcase.

shimmy&shine

HSC
Hey flirter. Although 'storm in my head' sounds like 'storm in a teacup', keep in mind that 'teacup' is a commonly used phrase, it's not original or anything.

But try to get a more creative title. I thought this one was so metaphorically clever.
Prism: A Collection of Refracted Moment

Do something with 'raw'. You could make a really clever title with that one.
ohhh, this turned up in my head - salted wounds - but a bit cliche.
I don't know.

It's due tomorrow! The EE2 course ends today at midnight!

girlonfire

HSC
As i type, i can hear the sounds of the last pages of my major work falling from the printer....ah, sweet freedom!

Actually, i am lind of going to miss it....but ill be doing a writing degree (hopefully) at uni next year, so i'll get to go through all this again.

Best of luck everyone! See you in Showcase. ;)

shimmy&shine

HSC
hhhmmm......... the 2006 showcase!

It would be lovely to be chosen. Never mind the mark, I would be fantastic to be accepted into the showcase, after all the hard work.

shimmy&shine

HSC
Yeah, I'm a bit worried about the marker's personal subjectivity, however, I guess we should trust them that they can distinguish well between good and bad poetry.

And no one start with 'there's no such thing as bad poetry', lol. -oh yes there is~!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)