iMovie & Final Cut Pro (1 Viewer)

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
i'm considering doing a video for EE2
my question is

how good are iMovie & final cut proffesional to edit with.

cause my school is iMac run so i'd have to loan one out from the school (they will mostly say yes) ditto for a v/c. so would all this effort be worth it wih these programs.

any opinions welcomed.

porquoispas

HSC
well look, all editing software get the job done in the end whether you use the most professional ones like premiere pro or the simplified like imovie, although if you're aiming for more complicated effects like rotoscoping and green screening you'd only be able to use more professional programs. But i honestly think that it's what you're comfortable with. If you feel comfortable with movie maker or imovie i'd say go for them, that is if you're only looking to do the basic editing like cuting. fading, slowing up, speeding..etc... But back to your question final cut is obviously more professinal than imovie but they both do the same job in the end unless you're looking to do more complicated effects..

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
iMovie 08 is a wanky piece of software with ZERO functionality.

iMovie HD can still have some cool results, but if you can get access to FCP then USE IT.

boii

HSC
Final Cut Pro is pretty much the best piece of home/ non professional software you can use. Lots of professional companies and editing suites etc use it. so yeah, final cut pro is awesome.
hope this helps

HSC
While everyone is saying go final cut (& I agree with them) it's not going to matter if you don't know how to edit. They say editing makes the film & it's true... if you're not going to get any professional help with your editing and you've never edited a film before I strongly suggest you start to learn and study it sooner rather then later remembering that it can take a lot longer doing post-production on your film than anything else & if you know nothing about it, it will really hinder you in the end. Best of luck - & if you need any advice editing wise send me a PM =]

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
no i know how to edit, i've done films in the past but only with iMovie, the school only got final cut this year so i haven't used it yet. I spoke to my EE1 teacher, he said that he can ask for better equipment for me from school. So hopefully that should work out. Nah i'm going to edit it all by myself.

HSC
Ok well good luck =] make sure you learn final cut pro, it's pretty easy but it's also pretty different (& a lot better then) imovie - & make sure you schedule plenty for time for the editing & post-pro. I ran out of time towards the end, luckily my mum is a professional editor so I had a lot of help but you can really feel the strain towards the end. Oh & make sure you get enough coverage! It helps so much, industry standard for dramas is 10:1, I got 13:1 - the more the better, provided your crew is happy to work with you doing that =]

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
thanks but i'm kind of leaning towards a short story cause i don't think i'll have the time and paitience to go out and film the extra stuff and crap i don't know. This is what i'm thinking of doing:

basically an exploration of figures thoughtout time by using natural imagery (eg. birds, insects storms and crap) with a poetry narration or historical monologue narration.

I was going to explore the story of cleopatra or the queen of sheba by using natural imagery but i don't know what do you think. (my Adv. teacher says it will be hard to do, my Ext. Teacher says it will be fantastic and easy [also he has taught media studies, graphics and drama]) opinion please short story or film or preformance poetry

HSC
Stick to what you're good at - if you've successfully made good films before & have the resources do that, if you know you can write well, stick to print mediums. I basically strongly advise you do not to do film unless you have prior experience & preferably contacts within the industry. I've heard of so many people flunking out on eng2 because of their underestimating the amount of processes involved in film. There is so much too it.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
yeah thats what i am scared of is that i won't be able to articulate through written medium or film medium. The thing is my forte is in film but yeah not sure, see i have half the english staff telling me to do one thing and the other telling me to do the other. But as i said i'm leaning towards short story but I have a tendency to overwrite my descriptions in story.

So i'm so confused and i have to try and make a "definate" decision by monday so the school can organise camera and crap etc.

ahhhhhhhhh so confused...

I know i'm good a critical responses too ahhhhhhh so much to choose from.

but film keeps jumping up at me ahhhhhhhhh.

I don't know maybe i should rethink my idea.

Last edited:
HSC
Just the fact that you don't have your own camera & equipment concerns me. This tells me you won't have 100% access to what you need 24/7 & that you will have to be learning a whole lot of new things.

I don't want to discourage you if it's really want you want to do, but if I was you I would try & create some networks of people you can use as mentors who work in the film industry. As they can help you and give you a lot of insight into producing a film.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
i've got people like this that live near me who are editors and that and will get help, and i do have a camera but its really dodgy, but i am allowed the schools equipment, which i have used a hell of a lot and know really well so i don't know but i'm kind of leaning towards a critical response now cause i think i will do really well in this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)