To Sam Davis (1 Viewer)

Winston

HSC
Hey, i see your approaching to the forums for Software again to help us, desperate students, just a question, i bought your text book and it's wicked, very comprehensive, but my question is, does your textbook cover every aspect of the syllabus, because i know the Alan Fowler one lacks a bit in relation to the Data streaming aspect in the Option Topic.

SamD

HSC
N/A
Certainly the aim was to cover the entire syllabus, and certainly ever dot point within the syllabus is covered. (The exception being the project work which obviously is better covered by other means than a textbook).
As you are no doubt aware, the syllabus gives little indication in regard to depth of treatment. Entire books could be written on many syllabus dot points. It is always a comprise, for example some teachers feel my treatment of flip-flops in Ch 10 is excessively detailed, no doubt in other areas I could have written more.

HTH
Sam

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by SamD
Certainly the aim was to cover the entire syllabus, and certainly ever dot point within the syllabus is covered. (The exception being the project work which obviously is better covered by other means than a textbook).
As you are no doubt aware, the syllabus gives little indication in regard to depth of treatment. Entire books could be written on many syllabus dot points. It is always a comprise, for example some teachers feel my treatment of flip-flops in Ch 10 is excessively detailed, no doubt in other areas I could have written more.

HTH
Sam
I see, i just want a simple opinion, would putting my dependance on your text book be suffice, or do i really need to consult third party materials.

SamD

HSC
N/A
If you know and understand everything in my book, yeh you'll do great! If you want a top 10 in the state then go crazy and checkout as many resources as possible.

By the way Geoff Lancaster is a great bloke, and his Excel study guide is definitely worth a go.

HTH
Sam

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
How about approaching scenario type questions?

It's apparent that simply studying the textbook won't get you great marks, but learning to utilise you knowledge and apply them to situations is something I find very daunting. What would be the best way to approach questions like these?

SamD

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Ragerunner
How about approaching scenario type questions?

It's apparent that simply studying the textbook won't get you great marks, but learning to utilise you knowledge and apply them to situations is something I find very daunting. What would be the best way to approach questions like these?
An impossible question to answer succinctly, every scenario type question is different. A starting point could be to consider:
- what is the question actually asking. Maybe rewrite it in your own words or in point form.
- the number of marks allocated to the question. Use this as an indcator of the depth of response needed.
- what the marking criteria is likely to be, structure your answer to suit. Examine the marking criteria for past papers to give you some notion of the basis for mark allocation.
- important words/phrases that you must address. If they are in the scenario then most likely they are there for reason, ask yourself how they can be used as you write your answer.

HTH
Sam

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by SamD
An impossible question to answer succinctly, every scenario type question is different. A starting point could be to consider:
- what is the question actually asking. Maybe rewrite it in your own words or in point form.
- the number of marks allocated to the question. Use this as an indcator of the depth of response needed.
- what the marking criteria is likely to be, structure your answer to suit. Examine the marking criteria for past papers to give you some notion of the basis for mark allocation.
- important words/phrases that you must address. If they are in the scenario then most likely they are there for reason, ask yourself how they can be used as you write your answer.

HTH
Sam
Thanks for the tips Sam, but i noticed there's rather been a emphasis on algorithms in relation to Sorting, Arrays, and Records, could you provide us with some tips on approaching these types, because i suck at writing them.

-X-

HSC
N/A
How much is the Sam Davis textbook? Im considering getting one my self.

Winston: Do u know exactly what the Alan Fowler textbook is missing?

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by -X-
How much is the Sam Davis textbook? Im considering getting one my self.

Winston: Do u know exactly what the Alan Fowler textbook is missing?

If i remember right it;s $40

A teacher who is fairly experienced told me, it lacks the information it isn't as thorough, take a look at last yrs past paper, it talked about data streams and backets, etc.. the Alan Fowler one did say a bit about it, but not teach you how to read it, ont he other hand Sam 'D' man lol, explains how to approach it and how to read the data packets.

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
Do you also have the answers for the other questions? :D

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by enak
Do you also have the answers for the other questions? :D

Rack off nak nak , don't hijack my thread lol

jks...

yeah do you ?

SamD

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Winston
Thanks for the tips Sam, but i noticed there's rather been a emphasis on algorithms in relation to Sorting, Arrays, and Records, could you provide us with some tips on approaching these types, because i suck at writing them.
The main problem is that every algorithm question is different. Writing algorithms is not something you can learn by rote and just spew out an answer. However you do need to understand the principles behind each of the standard searches and sorts. Some possible tips include:
- Try to solve a simpler case of the question first. For example work out how to process a single record first and then add the loops to iterate around through the whole record set and then generalise any constants by changing them to variables.
- Design data structures first. That is, write down the structure of any arrays or records you'll be using. This helps you maintain focus while you construct your algorithm and it also gives the marker a clearer understanding of where your answer is headed.
- The best answers solve the problem in the most efficient manner. If you think you've solved it then when checking think about ways to get out of loops as soon as the vital processing is done. For example setting a flag and using it as part of your loop condition. This can make the difference between 5/6 and 6/6.
- Generally better answers tend to be written in pseudocode. Pseudocode has the advantage of restricting you to standard control structures. Its also easier to slot in or remove statements here and there as you check your answer.
- If you're stuck then think in terms of simple example data. If you can actually do the processing on some example data then write down how you do that in step by step form. This will likely gain you a few marks and it may just allow you to formulate a more generalised algorithm.
- If you really have no idea then as a last resort reword the question in step by step form. Many algorithm questions are quite specific, and even the question itself contains a series of steps. Remember the aim is to rank student responses, at least you've shown that you understood the question whereas writing nothing always results in a zero.
- Everyone makes stupid mistakes. The best time to spot these is later on. Plan to have time at the end of the exam to reread all your answers, particularly the algorithms.

HTH
Sam

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC
THis should be a stickie....
Should be titled "How to approach Algorithims"... I'll get this sorted right away

hurrotisrobbo

Cabbage
HSC
Originally posted by Winston
take a look at last yrs past paper, it talked about data streams and backets, etc.. the Alan Fowler one did say a bit about it, but not teach you how to read it, ont he other hand Sam 'D' man lol, explains how to approach it and how to read the data packets.
Woah, woah, woah... I _did_ last year's paper and its past paper, but I never saw any references to 'data streams' and 'packets'. First I've heard of the former is STDIN/OUT/ERR in Unix and IO Streams in Java....

What'sa going on? Am I in a time warp? :D

VanCarBus

~--> Quincy <--~
HSC
Sam Davis hey?
Could you post up free answers from the red software design and development book? i really need solutions, cause the back of that book aint have any...hence it means that it is useless. Could you please post up solutions?

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by VanCarBus
Sam Davis hey?
Could you post up free answers from the red software design and development book? i really need solutions, cause the back of that book aint have any...hence it means that it is useless. Could you please post up solutions?
I think he sells the solutions seperately on the teachers cd.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)