Advice for SDD in 08 (1 Viewer)

Roguey

HSC
My marks were pretty average in the SDD prelim exam, and i came third in my class (theres about 9 people.) My theory is pretty much up to scratch, but practical is not as good as i want it to be.
I was wondering what other things i should be looking at to improve my results? The only [FONT=&quot]resource [/FONT]i have at the moment is the [SIZE=-1]Heinemann SDD HSC[/SIZE][SIZE=-1] text book. Should i also have the preliminary one? What other text books would be helpful?
I'm also trailing in algorithms, what should i have a look at to help me improve?
What kind of ideas should i develop for the assessment (developing working software)? I was thinking of an accounting system with design preveiws for a small business, and an accompanying website to say what its all about and give approximate costs.
And finally, what program should i work with to do my assessment? My teacher said chosing either Flash or FileMaker Pro would be best, because he normally works with those. I think both are pretty limited though, and would like to try something different.

Sorry for the massess of questions. I really want to go well in SDD so i'm trying to get stuck into it early.

[/SIZE]

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
1. Go online and buy a few more SDD textbooks other than Heinemann, since Heinemann is error-ridden and generally pretty crap.

2. How good are you at programming, and also how good are you at web design? One suggestion I have for people who are good at both is to try a simple web application in PHP, but if you're not that great at coding stuff I would suggest sticking to a database.

ToMmmm

HSC
Definitely get the Excel Textbook. The heinemann one is crap and too confusing [well it was for me, especially topic 3,4,5], but the Excel textbook is really all you need to know to do well in the subject - but you need to know it well. The Heinemann one may be useful if you already have some knowledge on what you are reading about...

I know you said that your theory is up to scratch, but what I would do, is make a topic-by-topic summary of the Excel textbook, including a glossary of key terms [not JUST the key terms listed by Excel], and possibly consolidate it with information from Heinemann... keep it simple and make sure that you understand it. And the preliminary course is pretty much irrelevant in year 12, you may need to refresh your mind a tiny bit, but don't worry about it too much.

As for Algorithms, just learn the different types and the distinguishing features between them, like if they use IF ENDIF statements or CASEWHERE ENDCASE, etc... Learn the names of them, what they are used for.. As for the Sorts and Searches, learn something that you can distinguish between them as well.. they are, for me, very difficult to learn off by heart, so the best thing to do is memorise the algorithm partially so you can tell the difference between them.

And for the major project, don't try and do anything really complicated and complex - keep it relatively simple [but no so simple that there are only 3 lines of code or anything]. I'd suggest, unless you are a groundbreaking coder, a simple game/program in Visual Basic 6.0 :). I did JavaScript.. not too good at it though. The people who get the worst marks tend to take on something that sounds good in theory - but is just too complex, which makes it harder for them to BS in the written part and keep their prototype looking good.

Goodluck :).

Last edited:

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Agreed completely with the above posters. Don't just rely on Heinemann have at least one other.

Study, ask questions, practice papers etc. Don't let anything you don't know/understand go on for to long.

As for the major project I agree with ToMmmm. People become very ambitious with it and come up with amazing ideas that are often complex and time consuming. Do something simple and easy to document.

Roguey

HSC
Ahh.. Heinemann is the standard at my school. So i guess anything apart from that is good? XD lol
I'll have a look into all the programs suggested, come to a conclusion about my project, then decide what program is best to use.

@ajdlinux : It depends. In flash i can make simple games like hangman, and jigsaw puzzles. I have a basic knowledge of web design, but i have a couple of friends that could help me out if i need it.

@ ToMmmm : Awesome, thanks for the advice and suggestions. I think i might have to alter my ideas a little to keep it a bit more simple.

@pritnep : Ok, thanks :3

Rythmic

HSC
We had an awesome teacher, which meant I did not once have to pick up a textbook. I summarised and added to the notes he had already formulated.

The main thing other than all the theory is being able to do algorithms and draw all the diagrams. In the 2007 HSC Exam, the only marks I lost were on the algorithms.

Evilo

HSC
We used the Davis SDD text book, i didn't touch another book.
Making chapter summaries etc are probably the most important thing. keep going strong with your algorithms - quite important.

Evilo

HSC
Roguey said:
I really want to go well in SDD so i'm trying to get stuck into it early.
This is important, make sure you knock off the major project as quick as possible - don't leave it until the last minute.

p4e81

Domesticated Daydreamer
HSC
ToMmmm said:
Definitely get the Excel Textbook...
...definitely. that book gave me a band 6 in this subject :uhhuh:

i think all excel books are really good except for the english & maths ones

Last edited:

live.fast

HSC
N/A
Excel is the way to go - but use other books to supplement what Excel might/might not have. Also, excel isn't ALWAYS right - something you may discover whilst completing the 2006 HSC SDD Exam. (That's right, I'm talking about the definition of benchmarking).

There are quick shortcuts to being able to discern between algorithms - I'm not going to spend my whole day explaining, but the trick is to look at the innermost loop - that's the easiest section to locate. Pinpoint that AND make an attempt to figure out the difference between each sort/search's innermost loops. It makes life much simpler. (What also makes life much simpler is learning how the algorithms work through each step; rip up some pieces of paper, and number them from 1 to 5. Mix them up - and then, follow your algorithm, and sort/search them. It makes life MUCH easier, particularly because during the exams, you have a visual/mental aid for understanding the sorting/searching processes and steps involved)

Don't be too worried about your programming skills - the HSC exam doesn't evaluate your programming skills, as much it does your logical skills and your proficiency in generating useful algorithms - on PAPER.

Make sure your Major Project fulfills the criteria - you can make it as hard, or as easy you like for yourself, just as long as you follow the criteria and do everything your teacher wants you to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)