Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 183

Thread: SDD Major Project Ideas

  1. #76
    Rambling Spirit
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    HSC
    2003
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,130
    Rep Power
    17
    Originally posted by Seraph
    DOes anyone know any sites that show what a typical storyboard for this cousre looks like??

    sheesh my book doesnt give any pictures of it just tells me what the different types are

    so i have no idea whether ive done this storyboard right!

    remember a storyboard does not and i repeat does not have detail at all, it has the CORE elements of each screen, and these CORE elements are present to show what they do in the flow of the screens.

  2. #77
    Now You've done it....... Seraph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    897
    Rep Power
    12
    okay so storyboards dont show the flow of data do they?

    like where the hyperlinks go back and forth etc/
    Stop touching me.

  3. #78
    Rambling Spirit
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    HSC
    2003
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,130
    Rep Power
    17
    Originally posted by Seraph
    okay so storyboards dont show the flow of data do they?

    like where the hyperlinks go back and forth etc/
    They show how the flow of screens go...


    a Wizard is the best example of a Linear Storyboard.

    your Back and Next buttons are the core elements of the story board for each screen, because these two buttons show the flow of the screens, and how they connect to each other.

  4. #79
    New Member Ru$kI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    HSC
    2005
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Near Botany Bay, Sydney
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    12
    Hey guys, i know this is a little off subject but goin back to the start of this thread about the ideas for your project. Im going to do like a music store/lounge app (emulating amazon.com in a way) and have most of its features like a user history, login, news flash, even samples of music played thru WMP. what do uz rkn?

  5. #80
    Now You've done it....... Seraph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    897
    Rep Power
    12
    uhh , hey for the people using Microsoft Project in their Gantt Chart, is there anyway to save the gantt chart as an image or such just so i could perhaps put it on a document?
    Stop touching me.

  6. #81
    J0n
    J0n is offline
    N/A
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    HSC
    2004
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    410
    Rep Power
    12
    Heh, i used excel, but you could always take screenshot (or a few if it doesn't fit).

  7. #82
    Now You've done it....... Seraph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    897
    Rep Power
    12
    meh well im nearing the end of the completion of my program , it was quite easy to code most of it is repetetive stuff... im worried they mark me down cause of that , but the code is not extermely simple , lot of case statements few IF statements and i only used like 3 variables LoL
    Stop touching me.

  8. #83
    Rambling Spirit
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    HSC
    2003
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,130
    Rep Power
    17
    Originally posted by Seraph
    meh well im nearing the end of the completion of my program , it was quite easy to code most of it is repetetive stuff... im worried they mark me down cause of that , but the code is not extermely simple , lot of case statements few IF statements and i only used like 3 variables LoL
    Depends if your teacher is one of those pedantic people and go through your code to see if it's grossly repetitive, and that poor indentation, etc.

  9. #84
    Cabbage hurrotisrobbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    HSC
    2002
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sydney, Newtown.
    Posts
    531
    Rep Power
    13
    Pedantic? Sensible in my opinion. :S

    ... I don't want to see _another_ coder writing an inefficient, difficult to maintain program that would make life hell for others if it were to be used in the real world. :mad1:
    "Heisenberg may have been here."
    BSc (IT) at UTS.
    Kabukiyasha.net - Manga, Tutorials, Insanity

  10. #85
    Rambling Spirit
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    HSC
    2003
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,130
    Rep Power
    17
    Originally posted by hurrotisrobbo
    Pedantic? Sensible in my opinion. :S

    ... I don't want to see _another_ coder writing an inefficient, difficult to maintain program that would make life hell for others if it were to be used in the real world. :mad1:
    Yupp i know what you mean, but this is in terms of high school lol... first of all 1/2 the teachers aren't proficient in coding themselves, and it would talk and awful amount of time to mark everyone. So i pressume they'll focus on marking on documentation more.

  11. #86
    Now You've done it....... Seraph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    897
    Rep Power
    12
    well unfortunetly the repetition is necessary as my program is basically a Trivia game , oh well .... the code wasnt too simple to conjure considering my level of VB programming

    Btw , when im doing the Algorithms (pseudocode) would i have to give the coding behind every form? what if its really just repeating stuff???
    Stop touching me.

  12. #87
    Rambling Spirit
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    HSC
    2003
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,130
    Rep Power
    17
    Originally posted by Seraph
    well unfortunetly the repetition is necessary as my program is basically a Trivia game , oh well .... the code wasnt too simple to conjure considering my level of VB programming

    Btw , when im doing the Algorithms (pseudocode) would i have to give the coding behind every form? what if its really just repeating stuff???
    Well i was sort of in your situation, you basically would only provide algorithms to the core aspects of the application that would require it to run. Like if you had a game, and you had to generate randomly a set of whatever, obviously the generation process and displaying the items is something core. Like you wouldn't want to have psuedocode for a button that closes a form, and prints a message.

  13. #88
    Now You've done it....... Seraph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    897
    Rep Power
    12
    yea well each form basically uses the same code only with a few words to different naemd buttons and different questions changed... very little so yea i guess that idea works well
    Stop touching me.

  14. #89
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    11
    you could try a game

    minesweepers?

  15. #90
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    HSC
    2005
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    62
    Rep Power
    11
    heh, imagine figuring out and adding all the binary for your major project to the documentation, now that would show real commitment, is it possible to even do??

  16. #91
    le random sladehk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    HSC
    2006
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,001
    Rep Power
    11

    Talking Project Idea?

    Wouldn't making a simple project like battleship, mastermind, stock market sim or etc will give you better marks. For the SDD major, i would suggest making an extremely simple project even noughts and crosses and make really good documentation and get very good marks. But's all up to you. I gave my project in already and if you want the source code and documentation, just email me. I did mastemind and battleship
    gg

  17. #92
    :o>---<
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,004
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by juventino
    Do you people actually get to choose what you want to do for your major? Cause we don't
    We had four options, or the choice of coming up with our own. We came up with own heh, just seemed easier than their predefinited situations.

  18. #93
    Banned HellVeN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    HSC
    2005
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    532
    Rep Power
    0
    Reviving this thread since it seems to have had much off-topic discussion of gantt charts and not much of actual discussion of ideas.

    I am currently in year 11 and thinking of starting my yr12 project early. I have a couple of ideas but I'm not entirely sure about any of them yet.


    Battleship Game: It was stated before that this would be "unoriginal" and "simple". But I doubt the people who wrote such comments really has any idea about what they were talking about. I think actual good battleship AI could be quite complex and that if you decided to make really good graphics as well, this project could be quite a challenge. And if you were ahead, you might even try to go for an online version? :P

    Hotel Booking System (or similar): This one would probably rely on a database and a really good user interface. It could become quite complex if you included lots of options, many sorting algorithms and good GUI.

    Bomberman (or other tile based small game): Would involve quite a bit of graphic work. Definatly interesting though, probably pretty hard too. You'd have to consider AI, animation, graphics and such. I'm sure it's possible though.


    These are just some of my ideas, I'm not really sure yet. I'd like my project to be really good and that's why I'd like to start early so that I can make it as good as possibe. Anyone got any ideas, suggestions or recomendations?

  19. #94
    Poke me! I giggle! PoP 'n' Fresh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    HSC
    2005
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Manly
    Posts
    193
    Rep Power
    11
    i wish i saw this thread first before that extensive reply on the other one =(

  20. #95
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    11

    Online Resume Writer ^_^

    Make a online resume wrtie which users can personalise ... and also with additional function

  21. #96
    Now You've done it....... Seraph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    897
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraph
    meh well im nearing the end of the completion of my program , it was quite easy to code most of it is repetetive stuff... im worried they mark me down cause of that , but the code is not extermely simple , lot of case statements few IF statements and i only used like 3 variables LoL
    PWNED 100%
    Stop touching me.

  22. #97
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    58
    Rep Power
    11
    my teacher says that we have to 'solve' a problem. Ive read some of the suggestions on the board of studies site, and alot of them dont solve anything. Then he goes onto 'you shouldnt do something that has been done before...blah blah blah'. Anyway, ive decided i want to make a php car racing management game. Now i have to find a problem to solve :P
    I thought about making up one, for example 'blah blah auto parts, wants to promote their products on the internet', so then i make the game and say 'that company can advertise their crap in the game, and as the game is intended for car enthuasiasts, they will get lots of potential customers'....sumthin like that

    i dunno, u guys got any better ideas?

    Chen

  23. #98
    I'll stab ya
    Join Date
    May 2004
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Jumanji
    Posts
    3,994
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by chensta
    my teacher says that we have to 'solve' a problem. Ive read some of the suggestions on the board of studies site, and alot of them dont solve anything. Then he goes onto 'you shouldnt do something that has been done before...blah blah blah'. Anyway, ive decided i want to make a php car racing management game. Now i have to find a problem to solve :P
    I thought about making up one, for example 'blah blah auto parts, wants to promote their products on the internet', so then i make the game and say 'that company can advertise their crap in the game, and as the game is intended for car enthuasiasts, they will get lots of potential customers'....sumthin like that

    i dunno, u guys got any better ideas?

    Chen
    Thats what I would have done if in your situation, sort of like that nitto game http://www.nitto1320.com/

  24. #99
    stix Trev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    HSC
    2005
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Pine Palace, St. Lucia, Brisbane.
    Posts
    2,038
    Rep Power
    12
    acmilan; what did you do for your major project? (seeing as though you got 94 for SDD?)
    some guy got 94 at our school, and some guy made this really kool 'pong' game (like, i would never had known a student made it, it seemed like a real game ), so i'm assuming it was him?!
    myspace.com/daylight_robbery__

  25. #100
    I'll stab ya
    Join Date
    May 2004
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Jumanji
    Posts
    3,994
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Trev
    acmilan; what did you do for your major project? (seeing as though you got 94 for SDD?)
    some guy got 94 at our school, and some guy made this really kool 'pong' game (like, i would never had known a student made it, it seemed like a real game ), so i'm assuming it was him?!
    I just made a boring old business program that managed the sale of products, finances, inventory, payroll etc.

    As for that pong game, its not too difficult to make in VB. I have made one before, Fosweb, a member on here made a pretty good one, much better than the one i made

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •