Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: SDD Major Project Ideas

HSC
    you should put your games n stuff in the resources section!
    myspace.com/daylight_robbery__

I'll stab ya
    HSC
    N/A
    I havnt made much games, just a primary school education game and a pong one. At the moment im working more on projects for work

HSC
    well......put the pong game up

HSC
    Find something that you know u could possibly program. Go to some massive code bank on the internet such as programming sources that give u free program code. Look at the code and understand it. If u understand it, just put comments all over to explain to ur teacher that u wrote it, even if u didnt, lol. This is what I did. I only changed the program a little bit and came first for SDD with a mark of 87. Hahahah, it was the subject I despised most because i couldnt program for shit.

BUT, note documentation of all the stages gives you alot more marks than a clever and difficult program.

Easy recommendations:

Tic Tac Toe 2 player, NO AI

HSC
    hahaha thats a good idea (wish i did sdd then ) and u ended up wit 97.2 uai from cheating! good on ya heh

Executive Member
    HSC
    don't bite off more then you can chew

i suggest a plain video library database,

it'll give you a degree difficulty of .8 lol ( it's what i did, and it's what i got )

I'll stab ya
    HSC
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Trev
    well......put the pong game up
    Fosweb's is much better than the one i made

http://www.fosweb.com/prog.html

HSC
    We were allowed to choose whatever we wanted. im doing a game (RPG) in C# with DirectX9.
    The only things we need to have is loops, arrays, sorting, searching, external file handling etc.
    The best advice i can possibly give is to start simple. then once you have something working. and if you have time left, keep a backup copy somewhere, and add whatever you can until its due in. But make sure you have a simple working program to fall back on.

<this space for rent> treelovinhippie's Avatar
    HSC
    We were also allowed to do whatever we wanted.

I decided to do (or am currently trying to create) a simple personal payroll program.... i.e. something where the employee (user) simply enters in their details and their employers details, then during the week they enter in how many hours they worked and on what days, then process their pay when they are paid. Just a simple way to track how many hows they worked, when they worked, and how much they were paid.

I'm doing it in VB 6, since that's all we've been taught and that's all we're allowed to do it in (since it's the only language out teacher knows). I had a lot of trouble in trying to implement a flew grid that I could use to allow users to enter in data and then save that data from the flexgrid. After months of fiddling around I found a really good one online that can have data entered in and the whole flex grid can be saved.

So atm, I'm just attempting to get everything saving correctly and then will try and implement tax scales and other features later if I have enough time.

Another idea I had that someone may find useful is a petrol calculation-type program. i.e. each time the user fills up their tank, they take a not of their odometer (I think that's it - i.e. how many kms they've travelled), and also how much they spent and even how many litres they bought. The user can then put this data into the program each time they fill up their tank. Then you can make the program generate graphs from the data and in this way you can either warn, or just allow the user to predict that on average they are not getting as many kms per litre as they used to. The user can then use the program to predict when their car will need a service.

Another program idea was also just a simple program to keep track of sporting data, i.e. soccer goals, scores, wins, losses etc

I hope someone finds that ramble useful

HSC

Recommendation

I suggest a standalone content management system for multiple websites, coded in java ofcourse

<marquee> Oh yes oh yes capital cities sexiest ladies, count them one two three oh yes </marquee>

<b> Soon to be Computer Science Grad @ Newie Uni </b>
    Last edited by cortex; 6 May 2005 at 12:30 AM.

HSC
    Quote Originally Posted by Vangineer
    If u understand it, just put comments all over to explain to ur teacher that u wrote it, even if u didnt, lol.
    God help you if you ever made it to uni, you dropkick.

Quote Originally Posted by cortex
    I suggest a standalone content management system for multiple websites, coded in java ofcourse
    What, like this? :P

As far as ideas go, I agree that whoever said writing a battleships game is easy is a twit. If writing a game with AI is a little too difficult, try something database-ish.

Say, for example, if anyone in your grade has a tendency to collect funny teacher quotes, you could always make a nice compendium of them. Or if you're able to use something like PHP, maybe something simple like an addressbook, or a tagboard that you can later drop into an existing site as a component, or something.

The problem with all these assignments requiring an original ideas is that the end results turn out to be rather naff, as it's hard to make something original and useful at the same time, without either orgasmically brilliant ideas, or lots of time and research. :S
    "Heisenberg may have been here."
    BSc (IT) at UTS.
    Kabukiyasha.net - Manga, Tutorials, Insanity

HSC
    vl i do SWD too and for my major task i am doing a software package for a restaurent..u know like a pricing system, the user chooses the things he wants and at the end ur printed with a list of items with prices, like a docket with place of purchase etc.....vl my teacher suggested to have a DBMS in the background to get the full marks so i thought this was the best and the easiest idea.....
    B Engineering / B Science (Computer Science) - UNSW

Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway

~RitH~
    ------------------

HSC
    and also i disagree with peeps suggesting to do games....they r time consuming and not much documentation can be done (which is where the real marks are)...but then again if ur gud at those type of things thats a whole different story
    B Engineering / B Science (Computer Science) - UNSW

Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway

~RitH~
    ------------------

HSC
    Sydney, Australia, Earth, Milky Way.....................
    My major work solves the problem that you find revision programs everywhere for all the modern languages, but none for Latin (except those little flash things on the internet that freeze and are full of typos and mistakes - I have a screenshot of a passive verb being translated as an active one). So I'm making a program for year eight students to revise basic verbs, noun cases and simple vocabulary. The verb game is hangman-style, the noun game is on a timer to see how many you can get in 60 seconds and the vocabulary is a matching pairs thinggumy. But I'm relying on excessive documentation to pull me through rather than bright ideas.

Class of 2006
    Target/UAI: Aim for Andromeda, that way, even if you miss, you'll land among the stars. XCIX.XCV

HSC
    heres the error handler of my Major enjoy IF THEN STATEMENTS
    Quote Originally Posted by Code
    Private Sub cmdOK_Click()
    If blnAccountnumber_err = True Then
    frmLoanSetupp1.txtAccountNumber.Text = "" 'cancel and clear alarm
    frmLoanSetupp1.txtAccountNumber.SetFocus 'set focus on trouble area
    frmMSGBOXerr_OK.Hide
    blnAccountnumber_err = False 'turn off the error alarm

ElseIf blnAmountBorrowed_err = True Then
    frmLoanSetupp1.txtAmountBorrowed.Text = "" 'cancel and clear alarm
    frmLoanSetupp1.txtAmountBorrowed.SetFocus 'set focus on trouble area
    frmMSGBOXerr_OK.Hide
    blnAmountBorrowed_err = False 'turn off the error alarm

ElseIf blnSETTLEMENTDATE_err = True Then
    strSETTLEMENTDATE = "" 'cancel and clear alarm
    frmLoanSetupp1.Show 'set focus on trouble area
    frmMV.Show
    frmMSGBOXerr_OK.Hide
    blnSETTLEMENTDATE_err = False 'turn off the error alarm

ElseIf blnLOANTERM_err = True Then
    frmLoanSetupp1.txtLoanTerm.Text = "" 'cancel and clear alarm
    frmLoanSetupp1.txtLoanTerm.SetFocus 'set focus on trouble area
    frmMSGBOXerr_OK.Hide
    blnLOANTERM_err = False 'turn off the error alarm

ElseIf blnLOANSETUPP1DETAILS_err = True Then
    frmLoanSetupp1.Show 'show form Loan Setup 1
    frmMSGBOXerr_OK.Hide 'hide MSGBOXerr_OK
    blnLOANSETUPP1DETAILS_err = False 'turn off alarm

ElseIf blnfrmLoanSetupp4_Clarify = True Then
    frmLoanSetupp4.Show 'show form Loan Setup page 4
    frmLoanSetupp4.Enabled = True 'enable the loab setup page 4
    frmMSGBOXerr_OK.Hide 'hide MSGBOXerr_OK
    blnfrmLoanSetupp4_Clarify = False 'turnoff form
    msgpcbox.Visible = True 'show the eror image box
    lbltop.Caption = "Error" 'reset the MainForm heading to Error

ElseIf blnLoanNameTaken_err = True Then
    frmLoanSetupp1.txtLoanTerm.Text = "" 'cancel and clear alarm
    frmLoanSetupp1.txtLoanTerm.SetFocus 'set focus on trouble area
    frmMSGBOXerr_OK.Hide 'hide Form MSGBOXerr_OK
    frmMSGBOXerr_OK.Height = "1455" 'set the height of the Form MSGBOXerr_OK
    loanNameexist_err = False

ElseIf blnFILENAME_ERR = True Then
    frmMSGBOXerr_OK.Hide '.'hide the Form MSGBOX_err
    frmLoadloan.Show 'Show Form Loan Loader
    blnFILENAME_ERR = False ''hide alarm

ElseIf LoanSetuptermadd_err = True Then
    frmMSGBOXerr_OK.Hide 'hide the FORM MSGBOX_err
    frmLoanSetupp2.Show 'show form Loan setup page 2
    LoanSetuptermadd_err = False 'turn off alarm
    frmMSGBOXerr_OK.Height = 1455 'set height of the Form: MSGBOXerr_OK

ElseIf LoanSetupFreq_err = True Then
    frmMSGBOXerr_OK.Hide 'Hide the Form MSGBOXerr_OK
    frmLoanSetupp3.Show 'show Loan Setup
    LoanSetupFreq_err = False 'turn off the 'alarm'

ElseIf blnNoexcel_err = True Then
    frmMSGBOXerr_OK.Hide
    UNLOADMYLOANS
    End If
    I created/creating a mortgage calculator though i recommend no one tries to do it, wasted too much time coding....this is part of the error checking module that used boolean variable to set off an 'alarm' that triggered this module sending the user a message and when they clicked OK the if then statements would return the user to where the error originated and turn off the 'alarm'

GOOD LUCK PPL
    Last edited by Ghost1788; 19 Jun 2005 at 12:56 PM.

HSC
    Quote Originally Posted by fullmetaljacket
    heh, imagine figuring out and adding all the binary for your major project to the documentation, now that would show real commitment, is it possible to even do??
    If you had a thousand monkeys, on a thousand typewriters...

HSC
    Sydney, Australia, Earth, Milky Way.....................
    Hmmm...nearly finished my Latin Computer Tutor...it worked until I tried to dump it into one of those nifty "installation programs"...and now when you first install it, it runs happily. And then after that, when you quit it and run it a second time, it says the files can't be found. So I may just zip them up into zip files and be done with them.

Class of 2006
    Target/UAI: Aim for Andromeda, that way, even if you miss, you'll land among the stars. XCIX.XCV

Cadet
    HSC
    Quote Originally Posted by drewgcn
    If you had a thousand monkeys, on a thousand typewriters...
    Well it look's like we are in business....

Nah anyway, for my major this year I made a database application. Quite boring now that I think of it. Others used things such as directx. Although I must admit, it was quite lame in the way that they made the first level so hard that the teacher won't be able to get passed it so therefore they wouldn't have to make more levels. AND WHAT'S THE GO WITH ALL THE STUPID KIDS PAYING OTHERS TO MAKE IT FOR THEM?? THAT IS SO LAME AND REALLY ANNOYS ME! Stupid rich kids....that are stupid.

Anyway, my point is that using VB.NET with a Microsoft Jet Database is very very annoying and I don't suggest anyone do it unless you want to come across approximately 500 errors a day. Although I must admit, I had never worked with databases before in VB.NET and it was quite the learning curve.

HSC
    i wrote a version of monopoly in VB6.

almost worked perfectly too cept for one unforseen place where you could cheat lol.
    part from that it was an awesome project to do... have to be reasonable at coding though and not worry about spending a lot of time figuring things out lol. soo many calls to other subs it wasnt funny.

HSC
    I am starting my design work on MOTANK, a top-down completely unrealistic multiplayer tank shooter... haha... its gonna be awesome, and be written in Python using the pygame library.

I already have a simple game-engine up and running. Its got a simple renderer (uses a list called a drawstack for sprite ordering, and updates only the areas of the screen that have changed), input trapping, a nice little event manager (hurray for event driven object oriented programming WITHOUT VISUAL BASIC i fucking hate visual basic), tick-generator, etc.

Ive got to rework my renderer though, implement a map system, figure out how to do networking in Python, implement the actual game. its gonna be a crazy year for sure if i want to finish all this off.
    BEng Mechanical/BSc Computer Science

UNSW

im doing my hsc now, and have already had mine marked, DONT do what i did

i wrote a java network server, and an associated client in flash that would run a complex chat system with rooms, user status, lots of text based comands, a very clean server that ran each client in its own thread to improve performance, the server had lots of monitoring options such as chat logging, information on connected clients, plus the client and server were built to be expandable to host games, basically my own msn...my teacher said my documentation was the best in the class too ^_^ i wrote more code than anyone else, and u kno what i got? 81 and the only reason i was given was that i didnt achieve what i had hoped in my stated brief :S had i dummed down my brief i wouldve pwned it, but because i was critical of my own work, i got owned... my teacher is a dumbass, i dunno if what happend was fair or not but ill pay for it in my hsc,

BE SURE TO ACHIEVE YOUR GOAL!

I made an online photo gallery that lets you upload, give details, categorise, edit/delete, display with auto-generated thumbnails, allow only authorized users to make changes to the gallery, etc. I used PHP and MySQL. I got 99% for it.. the only mark lost was because I didn't quote websites properly in the bibliography *grr*

BTW, I'm in yr 12 at the moment (2 exams to go )

@ze_dragon, wow.. that sounds pretty complex
    Last edited by schlagzeuger; 31 Oct 2005 at 4:36 PM.

HSC

Re: SDD Major Project Ideas

Quote Originally Posted by ze_dragon
    im doing my hsc now, and have already had mine marked, DONT do what i did

i wrote a java network server, and an associated client in flash that would run a complex chat system with rooms, user status, lots of text based comands, a very clean server that ran each client in its own thread to improve performance, the server had lots of monitoring options such as chat logging, information on connected clients, plus the client and server were built to be expandable to host games, basically my own msn...my teacher said my documentation was the best in the class too ^_^ i wrote more code than anyone else, and u kno what i got? 81 and the only reason i was given was that i didnt achieve what i had hoped in my stated brief :S had i dummed down my brief i wouldve pwned it, but because i was critical of my own work, i got owned... my teacher is a dumbass, i dunno if what happend was fair or not but ill pay for it in my hsc,

BE SURE TO ACHIEVE YOUR GOAL!

hahahahahaahahahahahahhaha you have just got my label of you as a TOOLBOX

Ouch, oww, Ouch! owww.... Cobra's Avatar
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by aaaman
    hahahahahaahahahahahahhaha you have just got my label of you as a TOOLBOX
    lol, aren't you nice :P Im just going to do a simple "ask a maths question" program. documentation is the most important thing.

HSC

is making a scientific calculator hard?
    Aim: UAI 86+

--------------University of Technology Sydney------------------

Bachelor of Business (major Accountant and Finance)
    Bachelor of Interior Arcitechture
    Bachelor of Business / Bachelor of Computing
    Bachelor of Computer Engineering

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information