Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SDDer's Unite!

HSC
    Uni Grad

Re: SDDer's Unite!

I included none except a bunch of arrays, because we weren't marked on that and I didn't need to. YMMV, but KISS. Elegant code is the best, including stuff just for the hell of it is probably not a good idea, but know them inside out for the exam.
    English - Advanced (3/24); Extension 1 Mathematics (1/3); Extension 2 Mathematics (1/2); Physics (1/6); Chemistry (1/8); Software Design and Development (1/3)

HSC
    N/A

YMMV, KISS?

Mmm, I am making an Olympic application - It's like an mini app. Will that be sufficient?
    MyAnimeList: Click

HSC
    Uni Grad

Your mileage may vary, keep it simple stupid.

And what does this app do, is it like a timetable thing, or an input-and-sort-and-display results thing, or what? But yeah, it should definitely be sufficient as long as its not completely pointless.
    English - Advanced (3/24); Extension 1 Mathematics (1/3); Extension 2 Mathematics (1/2); Physics (1/6); Chemistry (1/8); Software Design and Development (1/3)

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Schneezle View Post
    Your mileage may vary, keep it simple stupid.

And what does this app do, is it like a timetable thing, or an input-and-sort-and-display results thing, or what? But yeah, it should definitely be sufficient as long as its not completely pointless.
    What should I make it do? At the moment not very much...

HSC
    Uni Grad

You should make it do whatever you want - but be guided by the question "What would I want from an Olympics app?" Consider things such as a tally of scores by country (nothing simple, just read from a file or whatever), possibly a trivia section ("Eleventeen elephants were killed in the making of the swimming pool!"), or something like a top trumps game of athletes. Just make it interactive, and think about the users, and your idea will be awesome

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    HSC

Spiral found a SDD mentor

HSC
    N/A

You should make it do whatever you want - but be guided by the question "What would I want from an Olympics app?" Consider things such as a tally of scores by country (nothing simple, just read from a file or whatever), possibly a trivia section ("Eleventeen elephants were killed in the making of the swimming pool!"), or something like a top trumps game of athletes. Just make it interactive, and think about the users, and your idea will be awesome
    We haven't done any reading from a file. What does it involve?

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Parvee View Post
    Spiral found a SDD mentor
    Indeed.

HSC
    Uni Grad

If you haven't done reading from a file, I wouldn't worry about it. It can possibly be complicated and annoying, depending on what language you use. Just hard-code all that stuff instead, you won't get marked down because it's likely you weren't taught anything to replace that.

Any brainwaves for what it should do? :P

HSC
    N/A

If you haven't done reading from a file, I wouldn't worry about it. It can possibly be complicated and annoying, depending on what language you use. Just hard-code all that stuff instead, you won't get marked down because it's likely you weren't taught anything to replace that.

Any brainwaves for what it should do? :P
    - So far, It does, shopping, ie. tickets merchandise (Not too sure how to implement a sort, search on those.) Any ideas?

- It displays news

- Accessibility info.

- I think I should have something for the impaired.

- Locations/tourism in London.

- Need more....

Btw this is the psuedocode, we don't do the coding yet.

HSC
    Uni Grad

How you should implement a search and/or sort depends on how they're stored, but it's most likely that they are in a multi-dimensional array. *IF* that is the case, you should take a search term as input, and you will have some sort of counted loop going through each field of the array. The language you are programming in should have some sort of facility to extract characters from strings, but you don't have to worry about this in the pseudocode.

Sorting will be similar in terms of arrays, put your theoretical knowledge into practice =D

"Something for the impaired" -> a map of wheelchair access points, lifts, first aid, or something?

And in terms of needing more, I don't think you need a whole lot more, maybe some results (dummy, made-up results would do fine if it's due close to or before the Olympics).

That sounds awesome, though - and you seem to have a good understanding of the steps involved, which is a really solid start.

Just out of curiosity, what language are you using?

HSC
    N/A

How you should implement a search and/or sort depends on how they're stored, but it's most likely that they are in a multi-dimensional array. *IF* that is the case, you should take a search term as input, and you will have some sort of counted loop going through each field of the array. The language you are programming in should have some sort of facility to extract characters from strings, but you don't have to worry about this in the pseudocode.

Sorting will be similar in terms of arrays, put your theoretical knowledge into practice =D

"Something for the impaired" -> a map of wheelchair access points, lifts, first aid, or something?

And in terms of needing more, I don't think you need a whole lot more, maybe some results (dummy, made-up results would do fine if it's due close to or before the Olympics).

That sounds awesome, though - and you seem to have a good understanding of the steps involved, which is a really solid start.

Just out of curiosity, what language are you using?
    Our prescribed language is Pascal, however I may use VB for GUI.

I am also doing the documentation in LaTeX for the professional edge.

HSC
    Uni Grad

I don't have much experience with Pascal, but it should be more than good enough to do all the stuff you need.

Anyways, something has arisen in the form of a party, and I shall check this thread in the morning.

Best of luck!

HSC
    N/A

Free cookies to anyone who plays with Spiral!

Verus me in binary addition!

HSC

I studied SDD back in 2007/2008. We learned 'Visual basic' via using Word. It was terrible.

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Vick Kumar View Post
    I studied SDD back in 2007/2008. We learned 'Visual basic' via using Word. It was terrible.

Cadet
    HSC

Can anyone help me with the algorithm of my project?

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by SpiralFlex View Post
    I am also doing the documentation in LaTeX for the professional edge.

Slightly off-topic, but I did that for my IPT documentation. It was painful because I was learning it as I went, and I spent hours debugging the formatting, but the end result was pretty.

And I'm envious, my school hasn't run a SDD class since 2009/2010 because...well...of low demand. Since we're a girls-only school.

HSC
    N/A

Second girl SDDer I have seen. Would like to see more people doing this subject! It's quite fun!

HSC

I could offer the code for the piano program I made for my year 11 major

HSC

Oh, I don't do SDD I lament about not being able to do it quite often. Not enough demand -> no SDD class. That said, I get my programming kicks elsewhere - like the NCSS Challenge, that was fun.

IPT was the closest (in a...not really close sort of way) I could get to a computing subject, so I did it. Would've much preferred SDD. D:
    /lament
    "Hey, slab."
    University of New South Wales - Computer Science

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by ismeta View Post
    Oh, I don't do SDD I lament about not being able to do it quite often. Not enough demand -> no SDD class. That said, I get my programming kicks elsewhere - like the NCSS Challenge, that was fun.

IPT was the closest (in a...not really close sort of way) I could get to a computing subject, so I did it. Would've much preferred SDD. D:
    /lament
    Did NCSS Challenge last year, I was ranking in the top for year 10 but then I got lazy and didn't keep up to date with the few last weeks of the challenges
    HSC 2013 |MX1|Maths Adv|Eng Adv|Phys|Chem|Eco|
    UNSW 2014 Bachelor of Engineering (Civil)

HSC

SDD is awesome. Why is your ultimate aim 93 for SDD? I'm sure you can get a 95+ if you really study , from what people at my school got last year

goodbye cruel world
    HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by EpikHigh View Post
    Did NCSS Challenge last year, I was ranking in the top for year 10 but then I got lazy and didn't keep up to date with the few last weeks of the challenges
    Quote Originally Posted by ismeta View Post

/lament
    Make sure you both apply for the NCSS summer school

(I'm currently wearing my 2010 summer school tshirt)

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by harrisony View Post
    Make sure you both apply for the NCSS summer school

(I'm currently wearing my 2010 summer school tshirt)
    Already done in 2011 and 2012. If you are who I think you are, you were in my group for '11. Hai!

Quote Originally Posted by EpikHigh View Post
    Did it last year, too. Persevered (I did the Advanced stream) until I got to the last week and couldn't complete two questions. ;( Missed out on an HD. Embedded was comparatively easy though.
    "Hey, slab."
    University of New South Wales - Computer Science

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information