My Major Project (HSC mark 98/100, first in state) (1 Viewer)

GoldyOrNugget

Señor Member
HSC
Hello, I came first in course in SDD last year and I've had a bunch of people ask to see my major project.

I made a mathematical flash game called Plotting Revenge, implemented in Adobe Flex (like flash but more geared toward developers, not animators). I made these choices for a few reasons:

• It was a development platform I was unfamiliar with (being mainly a Python and C/++ programmer) which would proved to be an interesting challenge
  • It's a very simple game with some very very complex algorithms behind it, meaning I spent most of my time thinking about the mathematics behind the gameplay and not writing boring boilerplate code
  • It's a game that I'd been meaning to make for a long time, which kept me motivated throughout
  • The final product stands alone and is possibly a useful education and entertainment tool

The game can be found here: http://danielgoldbach.com/files/bin-release/Main.html

Instructions here: http://danielgoldbach.com/files/User Docs.pdf

There are four particular 'problems' that I encountered which required some AWESOME algorithms to solve:

• How do you get animate a point moving at constant speed along an arbitrary curve on the Cartesian plane?
  • How do you decide if an arbitrary mathematical expression is well-formed?
  • How do you generate realistic-looking obstacles?
  • How do you decide if a curve intersects an obstacle? How do you store the obstacle in an efficient data structure to allow you to perform this query and also manipulate the shape of the obstacle? (by destroying it with a missile)

I'd love to discuss possible solutions to these problems, or the implementation in general, with anyone who wants to.

I got 67/70 as my final mark. I lost those marks from dodgy documentation coz I did it all in the 2 weeks before it was due (and my teacher loved deducting marks from me for anything possible)

jarrodoliver1

HSC
Mind me asking your overall atar? How well you did in your other subjects as well? Your basically what i aspire to be within a year ;)

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Hello, I came first in course in SDD last year and I've had a bunch of people ask to see my major project.

I made a mathematical flash game called Plotting Revenge, implemented in Adobe Flex (like flash but more geared toward developers, not animators). I made these choices for a few reasons:

• It was a development platform I was unfamiliar with (being mainly a Python and C/++ programmer) which would proved to be an interesting challenge
  • It's a very simple game with some very very complex algorithms behind it, meaning I spent most of my time thinking about the mathematics behind the gameplay and not writing boring boilerplate code
  • It's a game that I'd been meaning to make for a long time, which kept me motivated throughout
  • The final product stands alone and is possibly a useful education and entertainment tool

The game can be found here: http://danielgoldbach.com/files/bin-release/Main.html

Instructions here: http://danielgoldbach.com/files/User Docs.pdf

There are four particular 'problems' that I encountered which required some AWESOME algorithms to solve:

• How do you get animate a point moving at constant speed along an arbitrary curve on the Cartesian plane?
  • How do you decide if an arbitrary mathematical expression is well-formed?
  • How do you generate realistic-looking obstacles?
  • How do you decide if a curve intersects an obstacle? How do you store the obstacle in an efficient data structure to allow you to perform this query and also manipulate the shape of the obstacle? (by destroying it with a missile)

I'd love to discuss possible solutions to these problems, or the implementation in general, with anyone who wants to.

I got 67/70 as my final mark. I lost those marks from dodgy documentation coz I did it all in the 2 weeks before it was due (and my teacher loved deducting marks from me for anything possible)
Nice project, looks neat.

GoldyOrNugget

Señor Member
HSC
Mind me asking your overall atar? How well you did in your other subjects as well? Your basically what i aspire to be within a year ;)
99.90, all B6s. I did 12 units and to be honest I expected SDD to be my two units that didn't count, since it scales terribly compared to my other subjects and I didn't think I'd do particularly well in the exam. This meant that I barely spent any time explicitly studying SDD -- however, I <3 computer science, so I probably spent just as much time in year 12 coding as I spent on school work. I think this strong base in programming and software dev helped a lot, especially for the harder HSC questions that aren't pure content recitation.

schlep16

HSC
U got 99.9 as ur ATAR...and ur doing what at uni?
Please dont tell me computer science at USYD (thats like 81?)

Cony2020

HSC
N/A
Could you please publish the documentation. It would be greatly appreciated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)