Thread: My Major Project (HSC mark 98/100, first in state)

HSC

My Major Project (HSC mark 98/100, first in state)

Hello, I came first in course in SDD last year and I've had a bunch of people ask to see my major project.

I made a mathematical flash game called Plotting Revenge, implemented in Adobe Flex (like flash but more geared toward developers, not animators). I made these choices for a few reasons:

• It was a development platform I was unfamiliar with (being mainly a Python and C/++ programmer) which would proved to be an interesting challenge
    • It's a very simple game with some very very complex algorithms behind it, meaning I spent most of my time thinking about the mathematics behind the gameplay and not writing boring boilerplate code
    • It's a game that I'd been meaning to make for a long time, which kept me motivated throughout
    • The final product stands alone and is possibly a useful education and entertainment tool

The game can be found here: http://danielgoldbach.com/files/bin-release/Main.html

Instructions here: http://danielgoldbach.com/files/User%20Docs.pdf

There are four particular 'problems' that I encountered which required some AWESOME algorithms to solve:

• How do you get animate a point moving at constant speed along an arbitrary curve on the Cartesian plane?
    • How do you decide if an arbitrary mathematical expression is well-formed?
    • How do you generate realistic-looking obstacles?
    • How do you decide if a curve intersects an obstacle? How do you store the obstacle in an efficient data structure to allow you to perform this query and also manipulate the shape of the obstacle? (by destroying it with a missile)

I'd love to discuss possible solutions to these problems, or the implementation in general, with anyone who wants to.

I got 67/70 as my final mark. I lost those marks from dodgy documentation coz I did it all in the 2 weeks before it was due (and my teacher loved deducting marks from me for anything possible)

HSC

Re: My Major Project (HSC mark 98/100, first in state)

Mind me asking your overall atar? How well you did in your other subjects as well? Your basically what i aspire to be within a year
    2013 HSC

2U Maths (currently 3rd) , Adv English (currently 4th) , Chem (currently 3rd) , SDD (currently 1st ) , IPT (currently 1st ), IT (currently 1st )

Bachelor of Engineering(Computing)/Bachelor of Science(Major in C.Sci.) @ USYD

Atar aim >90.

I will always choose a lazy person to do a difficult job, because, he will find an easy way to do it. ~Bill Gates.

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by GoldyOrNugget View Post
    Hello, I came first in course in SDD last year and I've had a bunch of people ask to see my major project.

I made a mathematical flash game called Plotting Revenge, implemented in Adobe Flex (like flash but more geared toward developers, not animators). I made these choices for a few reasons:

• It was a development platform I was unfamiliar with (being mainly a Python and C/++ programmer) which would proved to be an interesting challenge
    • It's a very simple game with some very very complex algorithms behind it, meaning I spent most of my time thinking about the mathematics behind the gameplay and not writing boring boilerplate code
    • It's a game that I'd been meaning to make for a long time, which kept me motivated throughout
    • The final product stands alone and is possibly a useful education and entertainment tool

The game can be found here: http://danielgoldbach.com/files/bin-release/Main.html

Instructions here: http://danielgoldbach.com/files/User%20Docs.pdf

There are four particular 'problems' that I encountered which required some AWESOME algorithms to solve:

• How do you get animate a point moving at constant speed along an arbitrary curve on the Cartesian plane?
    • How do you decide if an arbitrary mathematical expression is well-formed?
    • How do you generate realistic-looking obstacles?
    • How do you decide if a curve intersects an obstacle? How do you store the obstacle in an efficient data structure to allow you to perform this query and also manipulate the shape of the obstacle? (by destroying it with a missile)

I'd love to discuss possible solutions to these problems, or the implementation in general, with anyone who wants to.

I got 67/70 as my final mark. I lost those marks from dodgy documentation coz I did it all in the 2 weeks before it was due (and my teacher loved deducting marks from me for anything possible)
    Nice project, looks neat.
    "The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low and achieving our mark." - Michelangelo Buonarroti

Free Prelim/HSC notes: http://community.boredofstudies.org/...d.php?t=271361

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by jarrodoliver1 View Post
    Mind me asking your overall atar? How well you did in your other subjects as well? Your basically what i aspire to be within a year
    99.90, all B6s. I did 12 units and to be honest I expected SDD to be my two units that didn't count, since it scales terribly compared to my other subjects and I didn't think I'd do particularly well in the exam. This meant that I barely spent any time explicitly studying SDD -- however, I <3 computer science, so I probably spent just as much time in year 12 coding as I spent on school work. I think this strong base in programming and software dev helped a lot, especially for the harder HSC questions that aren't pure content recitation.

HSC

i like games lolzzz
    Last edited by xXPoOnSlAy3RzXx; 30 Jan 2013 at 12:45 PM. Reason: nigger

Cadet
    HSC

U got 99.9 as ur ATAR...and ur doing what at uni?
    Please dont tell me computer science at USYD (thats like 81?)

HSC
    N/A

Could you please publish the documentation. It would be greatly appreciated.

Thread Information