Is SDD actually what you think it is? (1 Viewer)

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
when I first chose SDD at the end of year 10, I purely did so because I thought it was 95% practical and 5% bumming around. Never actually thought or expected it to be a 75% theory and "only" 25% practical [which was reduced to 10% practical by the fkn teacher..Grrrrrrrrr]. I started it with enthausiam and by the end of HSC I was wishing it was over with it sooner. Not that it is a boring subject, but because it turned to be the opposite of what I expected it to be. So, if you are a programming freak [dat's a coding freak] like me and don't enjoy reading boring theory, then this subject is not for you. Stay away from it. One more thing for those theory lovers, SDD is harder than IPT. If you want to choose SDD, you must have a logical mind and also love both theory and practicals. Otherwise you'll be pissed to death by the end of HSC. Just like me.

oh btw...my average for practical work for year 11 and 12 was 97.5, and theory...er...75. Igot 88 in the HSC. CRAP. I know. but it wasnt counted towards my UAI...so........watch out.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Yes. Most people here know that SDD is Software Design and Development. With emphasis on design, not development.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
In year 10, I thought it would be about design, like designing websites and designing interfaces.

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
Yes. We had an information night about the course.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Our advisors made it very clear before hand that it was mainly theory and also advised us on what types of people shouldnt be doing it, which resulted in 9 SDD students and some 50 odd students taking IPT and/or IT Vet

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
i found out half way during term 2
i didn't really care, my teacher is what made the course gay not the course

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
It's a very dull subject. Even to those who like theory and/or programming.

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
acmilan said:
Our advisors made it very clear before hand that it was mainly theory and also advised us on what types of people shouldnt be doing it, which resulted in 9 SDD students and some 50 odd students taking IPT and/or IT Vet

IMO all of the students who started SDD at the start of year 11 missed the information session. cuz we had a 23 student class at the begining and by the time HSC arrived there were only 8 of us left.

phizz

aka: Philly Cheese
HSC
Spose it depends on your teacher. We only had three students in our class, so it made it more easier to learn since the teacher was more focused on us. He was good for the theory, but knew nothing about programming.

If you do both IPT and SDD, your set. They both go over the same basis so its less to learn and have a firmer grasp over the subject (eg: project management, sys' dev' cycle, GUI, ergonomics, ect...).

But once your over the boring stuff, you move on to the option topic like 'developers view of the hardware system' and theres some good new stuff to learn there. Unlike IPT's option topics which are very boring, but easy I spose.

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
phizz said:
Spose it depends on your teacher. We only had three students in our class, so it made it more easier to learn since the teacher was more focused on us. He was good for the theory, but knew nothing about programming.

If you do both IPT and SDD, your set. They both go over the same basis so its less to learn and have a firmer grasp over the subject (eg: project management, sys' dev' cycle, GUI, ergonomics, ect...).

But once your over the boring stuff, you move on to the option topic like 'developers view of the hardware system' and theres some good new stuff to learn there. Unlike IPT's option topics which are very boring, but easy I spose.

lol...yeah...I liked 'developers view of the hardware system' but it was too short and I already knew half of it anyways.

BabieBubski

HSC
Sdd Sukz

I hate SDD... i only chose it becuase it was all about bludging. Now.. because of year 12.. lol.. there IS no such thing as bludging.. because theres ALWAYS something to do! I know i wont go well in SDD (which totally shitz me) cuz i at least need 75 in my UAI to do the coarse i want to do (B.NURSING).

Hey! If anyone can help me. Please do! Cuz theory or prac. ... i have NO idea about ANY of the work here. I mean.. i TOTALLY suck.. I do better in ENG and MATHS.. them 2 i ace very well.. but SDD..ahh.. ill be lucky if i ever get 10/50 or watever...lol.. thats how much i hate it cuz i dont even understand the coding behind these things *hmm* (ROLLS EYES)

Aww wellz.. enuf about me. I need to find rel. material for my Eng..hehe..baiiz ^_^

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
BabieBubski said:
Hey! If anyone can help me. Please do! Cuz theory or prac. ... i have NO idea about ANY of the work here. I mean.. i TOTALLY suck.. I do better in ENG and MATHS.. them 2 i ace very well.. but SDD..ahh.. ill be lucky if i ever get 10/50 or watever...lol.. thats how much i hate it cuz i dont even understand the coding behind these things
I just starting at the beginning of your book, and reading over each chapter until you understand it. And if you don't understand something, ask questions to get a grasp of it. Once you understand the material, you'll find doing the work isn't that hard.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I'd agree. Reading your textbook is probably your best bet, to start of with.

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
agreed ...to both of uz ^^ and the best book for me was Excell Study Guide. Cuz it it is short and staright to the point. I never got stuck in answering any case study questions...cuz I'm a very good technical bludger.....but when there were a few questions that needed straight from the book definition or description....I used Excell study guide for them.

I never had any ...not even the tiniest...problems with practicals and algorithms....so I can't tell you anything helpful here. I was just naturally good at those stuff:D:eek:

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yeah same. Im not the greatest programmer but in the end tend to do quite well, because the theory is the main component of the course. God Bless theory :)

HSC
exactly what i thought it was, because we did part of course at end of computing studies, except on basic

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)