Have to make a GAME (1 Viewer)

mica

HSC
hello all

i am faced with the task of having to create a game for my software design and development major project in 2006.

i will probly be using visual basic 6 and have no idea how to create a game

if anyone knows of good books/internet tutorials that explain the processes for creating a game can you please tell me ????

also what do you think is the best program for creating games ????

Ghost1788

HSC
um a guy in my class this year used a program called game maker to create a game for his major it turned out preety good and the program is free as far as i know

Ghost.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Thats a pretty broad question....you would first want to know what kind of game you want to make.

Jeeeb

Well guessing games are reasonably easy, you could make it abit more sophisticated by making it say a poker game. Alternativly you could try doing a chess game, which should be relativly straight foward, just don't try implementing an AI player ;).

What is the best program for creating games?
I can't follow your logic here, you'll be working in VB6, that and a web-browser and photoshop / gimp / some sort of vector drawing program ought to be all you need.

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
Why don't you just steal a game and change it somehow?
Take Counter-Strike and put a clock in it, or something.

I CALL IT, COUNTER-CLICK! BWAHAHAHA!

treelovinhippie

<this space for rent>
HSC
Just create like an educational addition game or something like that... nice and easy is the best way to go, focus on studying the course (you'll need to)

switchblade87

HSC
treelovinhippie said:
Just create like an educational addition game or something like that... nice and easy is the best way to go, focus on studying the course (you'll need to)
Agreed, some sort of educational game is the way to go.
Amen to needing to study the course, bloody hell. I hope you have a good teacher.

HSC
mica said:
hello all

i am faced with the task of having to create a game for my software design and development major project in 2006.

i will probly be using visual basic 6 and have no idea how to create a game

if anyone knows of good books/internet tutorials that explain the processes for creating a game can you please tell me ????

also what do you think is the best program for creating games ????
if you really dont care about originality, make a quiz program but make it different
add stuff like 'fill in the blanks' if its based on particular subject such as chemistry, include periodic table in the program, good luck

Mumma

HSC
All games are based on 'event loops' really, this is what you really have to break it down into

get input
respond to input
update everything
clear screen
draw screen
loop to start

for example say pong
grab any keyboard input
Move pongs (?stick things?) according to input
Move ball accoding to its current direction
Collision detection of ball with borders/pongs (+bouncing)
-Award points and reset ball position if other player misses
clear the screen
draw interface,pongs, ball etc
loop

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
Mumma said:
get input
respond to input
update everything
clear screen
draw screen
loop to start
You don't really have to clear the WHOLE screen before you draw..
(it can cause screen flashes that can attack someone with epileptic seizure lol.. nah not really)
With my DOS-Based animation program (our teacher only taught us Pascal without graphics), every object in the program would clean up after itself. It would clear its spot, update/move its position, redraw itself on the new position. It actually lowers cpu usage of the program by around 3% (on 1GHz). Sure it's more programming work than using the built in screen clearing function, but it worked best for me.

aaaman

Banned
HSC
Ghost1788 said:
um a guy in my class this year used a program called game maker to create a game for his major it turned out preety good and the program is free as far as i know

Ghost.

we used that program in the UNSW Prog Comp and its pretty much takes sections of coding from a bunch of 4th generation programming languages and put them together but however its mainly Java and it is free :)

R.U.Sty

HSC
Meldrum said:
Why don't you just steal a game and change it somehow?
Take Counter-Strike and put a clock in it, or something.

I CALL IT, COUNTER-CLICK! BWAHAHAHA!
im sure Counter-Clock or Counter-Tick or Counter-Time would have been your first three names not COUNTER-CLICK! LOL

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
A guy in my year made a sort of space invaders thing which we pretend-sold. Twas freaken mad! He also used visual basic so yeah ..

& OMG. i just realised how old this was. Way to revive it ! = ="

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
I dont know what you guys are talking about, one of the best game software avalible is Flash 8, i made a space like game where your a ship and you have to protect the earth and also a pun on mario where mario is homer simpson. And im only in Year 8 (2007) and going into yr 9 this year (2008), awell, try flash 8, best ever, good tutorials avalible

miche11e

HSC
im creating a supernatural game for my major (i havent got the assessment yet, but im writing coding :D) in VB 6, and its pretty easy... the most complex thing im using is a "do..loop until" loop, and other than that its just "if" statements. im using one timer/

its a forced sidescrolling game. my brother taught me how to do a basic-one screen platformer game in vb6, so im thinking about putting that into it too :D

.blank

HSC
N/A
At the moment, I'm learning Java because I've read on how it's powerful and relatively easy to learn, compared to C and C++.
Is that a good decision? Or should I scrap it and learn something else?

Last edited:

NovaAesa

HSC
Java is easy to learn. Go for it. Or if you are into the whole Linux thing, maybe learn Python.

expertdkx

B.IT Network Security
HSC
Uni Grad
well at my school it is not until yr 11 the Software Design Development course under work
yr 9 and 10 basically learning basic programming languages like
Microsoft Visual Basic 6
so yea....
im in yr 12
:)
learning to master VB6:)

Evilo

HSC
how to make easy games

*Dice related games - use random (RAND) function <-- could be wrong, havent touched it in years.

*Game where you need to click when you think 10 seconds is up (after clicking the strat button), then the difference is added to a count, after 3 goes it is added to a "topscore" list, where the lowest combined times win.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)