Nature of trench warfare dot point (1 Viewer)

whitnall8

HSC
I'm making notes on the Western Front and i'm not sure whether i've covered everything to do with this dot point:

"the nature of trench warfare and life in the trenches dealing with experiences of Allied
and German soldiers"

So far, the headings i've covered are:
Hazards experienced by soldiers in the trenches
Trench structures and systems
Conditions in the trenches (diseases, psychological, the trench routine, etc.)
Weapons used

Could someone let me know if i've missed something?

JRO

HSC
Probably not a bad idea to mention something about the effectiveness or better yet the significance of trench warfare in [deciding the outcome of WWI]/[causing stalemate] etc...

HSC
You could mention the detachment of the Generals and authority figures who were enjoying luxuries at their Chateaus. You're able to emphasise the awful conditions of the trenches by asserting the disconnection between the power-hungry authoritative military figures and their troops, and the insensitivity they held in regards to what their troops faced on the Western Front.

nevery

HSC
Yeah, I'd also mention the terrible conditions, the Generals and their decisions, and especially focus on the stalemate - what caused it, and how it was broken. I'd also look at the tactics of the Generals, especially Sir John Monash. What a cool guy. :D

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
You could mention the detachment of the Generals and authority figures who were enjoying luxuries at their Chateaus. You're able to emphasise the awful conditions of the trenches by asserting the disconnection between the power-hungry authoritative military figures and their troops, and the insensitivity they held in regards to what their troops faced on the Western Front.
Don't forget that the British government made it illegal for Generals to actually go to the front after Loos when they lost something like 14 generals in a very short period of time. It wasn't necessarily that the generals didn't want to go but also that they simply weren't allowed to go.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)