Germany - Impact of the Treaty of Versailles (1 Viewer)

.ben

HSC
Does anyone hav detailed notes on this doptoint? thanks

lilsxcwog89

Lazy Ass
HSC
Here are my notes.... I did them when I was doing my study notes for Germany.

IMPACT OF THE TREATY OF VERSAILLES

Germany expected armistice based around Fourteen Points and expected moderate peace from Allied democracies as it was democracy too. Came as a shock.

No negotiations for list of concessions imposed upon Germany and were given fifteen days to respond and then sign the treaty.

Provisions of the treaty

Disarmament of the army and size army was reduced to 100 000 men. Forbidden to produce heavy tanks, guns e.t.c and German General Staff abolished. Germany was forbidden to develop air force and navy reduced to few ships.

Alsace and Lorraine taken by Germany in 1871 returned to France. Coal rich area the Saar Basin placed under control of League of Nations for 15 yrs with valuable coal resources going to France.

Rhineland demilitarised to protect France from further German aggression. Germany was deemed ‘colonially unworthy’ and lost all her colonies. They were to be monitored by League of Nations. Future alliance with A&Hun forbidden.

Poland was recreated due to ‘national self determination’ and region of Posen given to Poland and also access to sea via part of West Prussia.

Finally German had to pay reparations figures totalling 132 million gold marks and was blamed for the war through clause 231 of the treaty.

German reaction to the Treaty of Versailles

Immediate reaction was of shock and anger, said to be imposed (diktat) upon Germany. Chancellor Scheidemann announced govt wouldn’t accept it.

Despite anger, reality was German govt had no choice but to accept the terms. Allies were prepared to resume war if their were any refusals. Allied maintained blockade that had caused severe food shortages until treaty was accepted.

Many in Germany (Scheidemann and Hindenburg) urged outright rejection of treaty. Although Hindenburg understood was aware of reality of treaty and consequence of rejecting it his whole life and purpose was German army.

On other hand Groener took more realistic view and urged govt to accept treaty.

Germany signs the Treaty of Versailles

June 22nd 1919 Scheidemann resigned rather then sign the treaty and new govt of SPD and Centre Party formed under Gustav Bauer.

Two days later Reichstag voted to accept treaty and on 28th June 1919 in ceremony at Hall of Mirrors at Versailles two German delegates Dr Muller and Dr Bell signed the Treaty of Versailles.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)