Transformations of German social & cultural life (1 Viewer)

nahi11

HSC
Hi,

For the dotpoint "The transformation of German social and cultural life under Nazism" what would I say for Hitler youth. I know that the Hitler youth was a way to indoctrinate Nazi values etc. However, how did it transform society and culture (I know it changed it to a totalitarian state) but is there anything else.

Thanks

enoilgam

HSC
The main function of the Hitler youth was to instill Nazi/totalitarian values in youth, with the main purpose being to transform German society to conform to Nazi ideals. So I reakon you have covered everything.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
It also replaced all other youth groups e.g. church based groups and scouts so forcing all young people into the same mould rather than having a range of groups from which to choose.

nahi11

HSC
Thanks for the help. rep+ I have do an oral for 3 mins on how they transformed social and cultural life. I still feel that I haven't done enough or missed something crucial.

nahi11

HSC
In your opinion, would you say that the HJ was completly, partially or not all successful in transforming German society.

For me, I think it would be partially (sitting on the fence much?) as the by 1939 they had recruited 90% of all boys in the HJ and its subgroups. However, personal recounts from these members state that they only joined it for the fun and games. I will use supporting evidence to back up my opinion. But is it valid?

D94

HSC
N/A
In your opinion, would you say that the HJ was completly, partially or not all successful in transforming German society.

For me, I think it would be partially (sitting on the fence much?) as the by 1939 they had recruited 90% of all boys in the HJ and its subgroups. However, personal recounts from these members state that they only joined it for the fun and games. I will use supporting evidence to back up my opinion. But is it valid?
Hitler Youth was paramount in transforming German society. Note that those who were say 40+ years of age, experienced pre-Weimar, those between 20-40 were the ones who really voted Hitler in, so it was really the Youth that required change because they grew up in Weimar times. Essentially, if Hitler and Goebbels could persuade the Youth to agree and be instilled with Nazi values, that future war generation would be more stronger than the past two generations, in terms of mindset.

So, whilst they may believe it was "fun and games", the HJ was an adventure, one which had to be, otherwise if they knew the real plan (ie. war, lebensraum etc.), they (I speculate) would probably be a bit more hesitant than if they only knew it as an adventure.

enoilgam

HSC
Hitler Youth was paramount in transforming German society. Note that those who were say 40+ years of age, experienced pre-Weimar, those between 20-40 were the ones who really voted Hitler in, so it was really the Youth that required change because they grew up in Weimar times. Essentially, if Hitler and Goebbels could persuade the Youth to agree and be instilled with Nazi values, that future war generation would be more stronger than the past two generations, in terms of mindset.

So, whilst they may believe it was "fun and games", the HJ was an adventure, one which had to be, otherwise if they knew the real plan (ie. war, lebensraum etc.), they (I speculate) would probably be a bit more hesitant than if they only knew it as an adventure.
This pretty much. Whilst most enjoyed the JG for fun and games, its purpose and effect when far beyond that. It was for indoctrinating them with Nazi values and preparing them to be loyal and ready for war.

nahi11

HSC
It was for indoctrinating them with Nazi values and preparing them to be loyal and ready for war.
That was the aim, however how successful was it in indoctrinating youth and transforming society?

enoilgam

HSC
That was the aim, however how successful was it in indoctrinating youth and transforming society?
I would say very successful - Germany was very stable throughout the war, and there were only small and very insigificant youth movements which arose against the Nazi's.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)