Physical journey in a video game (1 Viewer)

Ryosuke.T

HSC
N/A
I am an hardcore gamer and was wondering if i could do a video game for my related text. Ive heard of sume doing it but has anyone actually sucessfully pulled this of, and if u have could u please post ur notes or essay so i can see wat aspects of the game i need to reseacrh, cuz im totally clueless, are there special video game techniques?

I was thinking of doing either Final fantasy 7 or 8( 8 is my all time favorite), maybe MGS2.

P

pLuvia

Err, I think every game as a physical journey to it, but I and lots of other people would recommend not to do it.

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
wow! two hands down mate. such an unique idea....but not sure the BOS would be impressed.. probably not literate enough.
apparantly even news articles and lyrics r not good enough anymore. =\

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Hmm, a friend of mine did Final Fantasy 10 actually, and he went well - I too attempted to use that text but ended up not going ahead with it. I think its doable, and you can score good marks with it but at the end of the day unless you can get your hands on the script of the game and have played the game through several times you wont have the grasp on it and will just end up waffling on and eventually making things up. Furthermore, when looking at a text to see if its viable to be used for this module you not only need to assess whether it links up to the idea of physical journeys conveniently(thats a key word here:convenient), but you must also look at how you would be able to talk about it - eg what techniques did the composer use? How much did you take note of the music, or the camera angles? And can you talk about the meaning they created?

Ryosuke.T

HSC
N/A
"Hmm, a friend of mine did Final Fantasy 10 actually, and he went well "

cool, could u try and get ur friends essay and see what type of techniques he used and possibly post it. but i was thinking that u could use the same techniques as u would to do a movie, but does that mean ur second related text cuoldnt be a movie?

"but not sure the BOS would be impressed.. probably not literate enough."

the trick here is to not call it a video game, u could say sumthin like in Hideo Kojima's Metal Gear Soild..etc, or call it a video game right at the end, to aviod bias.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Ryosuke.T said:
the trick here is to not call it a video game, u could say sumthin like in Hideo Kojima's Metal Gear Soild..etc, or call it a video game right at the end, to aviod bias.
Unfortunately that's not going to help you get a better score in your essay. When you first introduce your text, you have to state it's text type, e.g "A physical journey is portrayed in the filim Cast Away directed by..."
This is so the marker knows what text type it is so they don't get lost if they haven't read or played the text in this case. :D

Riviet

HSC
N/A
mitsui said:
but video game is such a cool idea thou.
=\
I didn't mean it's not cool, I meant you have to introduce the text type when you first mention it. I would do Final Fantasy VIII for fun but not for the hsc, lol.

Ryosuke.T

HSC
N/A
hey people, i just used Final Fantasy VIII in a journey speech and got 16/20 for it, i was shocked cuz i thuoght i stuffed it up, but my teacher told me i had done an excellent job at analysing it, although she said i shouldnt use it for the HSC.

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Actually I would highly recommend you not to use a video game mainly owing to the fact that the English Syllabus makes no mention at all of the use of such a text type. Although yes it may seem to be like a movie, you're the one that's controlling the physical journey; teacher's and examiner's like do not wish students to explore why they made the journey, rather they want YOU to explore the author's perspective of his/her journey.

The only time that you need to convey your view of any journey, be it physical, imaginary, etc is your creative piece. Lol, but that too does not include playing a video game :)

Sooo, try another related text(s).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)