Over 90 in the journey's section (1 Viewer)

fakingtheday

HSC
So guys i would consider myself a very able student but think i've been severely disadvantaged by my teacher's choice to do imaginative journey's. I'm finding it more silly and tricky rather than straight out tough. I'd like to know what you guys thought of your chances of an over 90 in that section of the test? Anyone have tips and such?

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
ROFL. Imaginative Journeys is definately the best journeys elective IMO. If you cant make something of it, thats not your teachers fault. Stop making excuses.

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
I disagree. I didn't enjoy it much, we did REALLY crap texts.
But I worked at it and did well in it anyway. And there's harder concepts to grapple with as opposed to something simpler like inner journeys.

hasterz

HSC
imaginative journies are good

much more open to interpretation and therefore you are able to seperate yourself from the other students, whereas something like physical journies are not as 'open'

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
yeah imaginative journeys are good. I was thinking like that too before because i didnt pay attention to it i thought the others were obvious = physical/inner, but really imaginative journeys are more interesting, and there are many resourses, you just need to find them!

fakingtheday

HSC
thanks guys, i just sort of needed some opinions. Our teacher teaches in a Point Technique Example Effect style, and so we have to find a "Point" about imaginative journeys which i am finding trciky at the moment. Maybe another week or so. Thanks.

HSC
N/A
Your points for Journeys is generally going to be something generic like "The notion of Imaginary journeys is evident in..." When you get the hang of it, you can start going a little more sophisticated and answering the question without having to rely on a strict PTEE format. :)

_melissa_

HSC
fakingtheday, i know exactly what you mean. imaginative journeys are crap, but then again, all journeys are crap. it's a crappy topic, and i'm pissed off they couldn't think of something slightly more interesting for us to study. but hey, that's the bos for you.

mouldy_bread

HSC
No its a good topic because like hasterz said, it separates you from everyone else. Putting a lot of thought into these sort of topics is easy and theres so many themes you can go with.

In short, quit your bitching ;)

piasimona

HSC
Guys You Need To Wapteel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my english teachers are the best and theyve discovered the most amazing way to get through any essay, any analysis, ANYTHING.

i swear this will save everyone's life :)

to deconstruct a text all you need to do is WAPTEEL it... as wierd as this will all be sounding to you know, i promise you will get it in a sec ;)

so, first of all, get a text (ok i'll say the tempest; but its gonna be really simplistic) then say

W- ( what it is ); a play by william shakespeare (then add context, etc) what it's about and how it's a text relating to I.J

A - ( audience); who's the audience for the play? why? (this is also good for you to clarify your own audience in terms of the text type you're being asked to complete - but dont write this, duh hahahaha) - the audience would be HSC students, people who enjoy literature, shakespeare lovers, and then you can also go into the context THEN; lower class englishmen who went and saw this play as a form of entertainment, wtc.

P - ( purpose ); (im guessing this is sort of like 'point' - but purpose sounds better and if you use the word purpose the language sounds more sophisticated ;) ) why was this text written? what did shakespeare write this play for? - the play was written, obviously, to entertain, but also to satirise the power struggles within society at the time in which it was written (colonialist reading, etc.) - look up the context! it is also looked upon as shakepeare's final ever play; is prospero a metaphor for shakespeare? etc. then say how all of this is shown through the imaginative journey - then you can focus oin a character (do that its the most focused way of doing things)

T - ( techniqies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) this is where you write out your techniques , write at least 3 or 4 techniques out PER TEXT - i'll just use one; metaphor - the tempest in itself as a metaphor

E - ( example ) QUOTE QUOTE QUOTE (pfft couldnt be bothered to find one right now; but in terms of example at least say WHERE this is occuring, i.e the tempest in scene 1 act 1 or whatever)

E - ( effect ) describe the effect of this technique and how it related to imaginative journey, etc. so for this, the use of the tempest as a metaphor at the opening of this play foregrounds the imaginative journey through the story as a whole. the tempest represents the disruption within the lives of all of those on the ship (as being controlled by prospero, and he is the only one; along with miranda, not being hurt) and finally, the calm after the storm - the resolution, etc.

L - ( link ) and here you link the example back to your I.J thesis!! woo hoo!! essay done :) use the TEEL part for every new technique :) use the WAP for your intro, then just put in a conclusion :)

i hope this works out for you and helps you! this is what i'm uing for my exams hahah

ciao

pia xx

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
fakingtheday said:
So guys i would consider myself a very able student but think i've been severely disadvantaged by my teacher's choice to do imaginative journey's. I'm finding it more silly and tricky rather than straight out tough. I'd like to know what you guys thought of your chances of an over 90 in that section of the test? Anyone have tips and such?
You are making excuses to avoid your own problems. You should instead question WHY you don't understand IJs and then you can actually resolve your lack of comprehension.

But yeah, I'm aiming for 40+ out of 45 in the HSC for IJs. Internally I got 42/45.

Can I just say, though, that once you understand IJs, you're laughing. It is perhaps once of the easiest topics in English I've ever done - once you comprehend it. I very much believe that IJs is on of those thinds in which a lightbulb suddenly turns on - you suddenly understand it.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
For refernece my two theses for past essays have been:

"Imaginative journeys are mirrors of reality, through some distortion", and

"Imaginative journeys into the unknown open up possibilities"

If I ever find it I'll post up a list of some general theses for IJs which you can work from.

fashionista

Tastes like chicken
HSC
N/A
hi!!
how u going? i did imaginative journeys last year and my marks fluctuated between 85%-95% and that just depended on the level of psychology i put into responses..generally teachers LURVE anything about subconscious mindsets or how deep within the human psyche we all need to sort out our thoughts or something...i dont remember how it goes but i did something like that. subconsciously we all try to evaluate reality through the surreal i guess was my point. good luck!!

7minute

HSC
I think what Slide Rule is right. Last year I was initially totally unimpressed with Imaginative Journeys and my text (On Giant's Shoulders). I only had that "lightbulb" moment about three days before my first written assessment (which happened to be my English half-yearly, an Area of Study paper). I ended up getting 90% for it.

Something to bear in mind: my first assessment was an oral presentation about Journeys. The people doing Standard did Physical Journeys and those doing Advanced did Imaginative Journeys. What people found on the whole, was that it is much easier to talk about Imaginative Journeys because you can get away with more. I guess another way to put that is, see into things deeper and in a slightly more abstract/unusual way as long as you can justify it.

I wish I could give you some examples of stuff I said, but my English notes are AWOL and my understanding was obviously temporary (I wouldn't be able to relate things to the IJ anymore).

It is frustrating. Before my "lightbulb" moment, I spent a lot of time complaining about the IJ and my text. But after it, I came to see that it was actually much more straightforward and forgiving than some of the stuff in the Modules (for example Module B, Critical Analysis of Text, when I did In the Skin of a Lion, I never really understood it).

Hang in there, I say. The "lightbulb" moment will come eventually! :)

fakingtheday

HSC
I just looked at this topic and thought who's this idiot. Haha, yeah i've come a long way, learnt lots and spawned some pretty nice essays i think, i'll tell you what i got in journeys half yearly when marks.

Cab31

HSC
I did imaginitive journeys last year and i really beleive that it is harder than the other two. There are a lot of journeys that you have to consider:
- Journey of the Author/creator to produce the text (inspiration, contemplaton,creation)
- Journey of the protagonist in the text (is this an imaginitive journey? eg. in the frost at midnight, he takes a journey of reflection and contemplation).
- The Journey of the responder (Where does this text take your imagination - are you simply enjoying the visual aesthetics - e.g. in some visually stimulatiing poetry - or are you asked to contemplate and speculate upon issues - both using the imagination)

See, there are more levels in imaginative journeys that have to be considerred. Thats why some questions are not really designed to be answered for this area. I remember our half yearly (we had some classes doing physical, others inner, and others imagininitive - really big grade of about 500) the question was about goals and challenges - which was really unfair to the imaginitive people and it ended up showing in our marks because while the ohysical and inner classes had students get full marks, the highest for imaginitive was 11 out of 15 because no one could answer the question as it didnt apply to the unit.
So yes i would agree with you that this area is the hardest, and my english teacher told me she would never teach it again after seeing the way it was not awarded appropriate marks in the HSC marking.

meLoncoLLie

adores corgis
HSC
heyy you went to GRC! :p

this year we have 1 class (mine) doing Imaginative, all the others are doing Physical. yeah i've heard about last year's assessment and how it was unfair to IJ students, this year's assessment is alright though.

i think there's a lot more you can discuss if you do Imaginative because it involves journeys of both the composer and the responder. the concept of IJs is harder to grasp, but it's more interesting too.

*goes back to writing AoS speech due 1 1/2 hrs later*

Cab31

HSC
Oh that speech thing....cant they get a new idea for an assessment! lol! Who is your teacher? PM me if u dont want to put it on the forum. Man heaps more than one class did imaginitive last year...clearly displays that those who did it weren't rewarded marks wise.

Good luck in your speech and the essay in the half yearly (assuming they do that AGAIN) lol

meLoncoLLie

adores corgis
HSC
question for everyone: have you chosen a thesis other than "imaginative journeys enable us to grow/to learn/to understand about ourself and the world around us"? because i think these are soooo cliched :(

to Cab31: yep it was a speech and an essay! lol (i think the same goes for many other schools)
argh, kinda stuffed up my speech. and i didn't finish writing my essay in the exam =\ i had a nice pre-prepared essay. my teacher is Ms Fennell, i think she's nice! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)