About ancient history ???? (1 Viewer)

Iccehy

HSC
Can someone give me a general overview of what ancient history is like in years 11& 12

ShadowLighte

HSC
Um it's kind of hard to explain? I'm in year 11 doing Ancient & Modern history and I don't really know what to say, can you be more specific in what you want to know? I'd suggest that you look at the syllabus and maybe research or look into the topics that you're going to study prior to actually studying the course, just so you're a little more confident and know what's going to happen- assuming that you're going to choose it.

I should have checked the syllabus prior choosing it but I didn't and oh well. Some things that I kinda wish I knew earlier is that you're going to do a HIP (historical investigation project) in which you get 3 months to research and write a report based on whatever you want from the Ancient historian period and warning- do not do it last minute, I did finished mine like, the two days before it was due and hell. Seriously, I regret that. Doesn't matter what your friends are doing, you know yourself whether or not you do well under pressure. good thing that I did. I probably didn't do too well though, oh well.

In general it isn't too hard. As long as you don't talk much in class to your friends and get distracted you should be perfectly fine. In class I barely talk to anyone -I'm just quiet in general anyway- and listen to the teacher and do my work, all homework and everything is usually done in class. If you pay attention, for tests and such, it's more than likely that you won't even need to study because you already remember from class. Like, really absorb the info. I remember history like a story. Well, it does have 'story' in the word.

Um, I think you're going to have to do some acting when you do Greek drama. Every subject usually has an assessment based on speaking and whatnot for those who are better at that and I have yet to do it this term but I am freaking out because I'm terribly shy but it's a group thing so thank god, at least I'm not on my own.

The topics that I studied were: Archaeology in general (probably the most boring). Homer and the Trojan War, a case study on the Ice Man and a short topic on The Terracotta Warriors/ First Emperor of China- Qin Shi Huangdi. It's not always the same so yeah, it would probably be different for your grade and school. I'd think you're more inclined to study Tutankhamen.

Um, I don't know about year 12 but it's pretty .. kinda easy. In its simplest terms, it's like comprehension. You know, reading/ learning and just answering questions about it. Not too hard I would say. I think you should be fine. Well, depending on your preferences and how you're doing now with history in general.

sammie293

HSC
Ancient History has A LOT of content, so many little features. But I've heard from my friend it's easier than modern, as when evaluating it's an easy judgement as 'we can't be for sure'. All in all, I personally like it- just be ready for remembering sources and knowing all the intricate details.

CassieVictoria

HSC
Hi, is it possible to get a few pointers on the terracotta warriors. like simplified yet valid information. I've spent endless hours trying to get notes and I end up confused and with a migraine. Can you help me please? :confused2:

sweetalmond

HSC
N/A
Ancient History is generally interesting. I think it depends on the way it is taught that affects whether u like it though. For example you could be learning about Ancient Persia or something, but your teacher only hands worksheets out or something.
Also, Ancient History is highly focused on analysing sources, making judgements and deductions from sources.So far (I'm in year 11) we've done the core unit on archaeology. Archaeology is interesting if ur the nerdy kind. We look at scientific methods for dating objects etc. We also studied human remains such as Iceman (Otzi). I also did two school developed topics. One on Imperial Roman Society - where u learn about political system of rome etc. and now I'm doing Ancient Persia. I do Modern and Ancient and I personally find Modern easier in terms of content. There is a lot more memorising and understanding in ancient and it's harder to visualise because it happened so long ago!
I have an innate interest in history in general, but sometimes i do get bored by ancient history, however in the end you find it interesting to learn and if ur good at writing it really pays off. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)