Textbooks for HSC Ancient History (1 Viewer)

Anthel

HSC
N/A
Hey guys!

I was think of what resources that would be useful for Ancient History. I currently thinking of purchasing an excel book... what do you guys think what resources I should look for?

DLMisme

HSC
Personally I don't really like the excel books for Ancient History. That said, you still might get more out of them then I did. If you can get your hands on one at a library or something, have a look through them and then decide whether you want to pay for your own.

Antiquity 2 is a good textbook for Ancient History. http://www.oup.com.au/titles/secondary/history/ancient_history/9780195560275

Anthel

HSC
N/A
however I used a really old copy... our school is pretty bad when It comes to textbooks, the book was older than me last used in 1989.. lol

DLMisme

HSC
however I used a really old copy... our school is pretty bad when It comes to textbooks, the book was older than me last used in 1989.. lol
So is mine, we got really lucky last year when the HSIE department decided to buy us the latest editions. I'm hoping they've got us the HSC ones next term *fingers crossed*

DepressedPenguino

HSC
Ehh u can try antiquity 3.. im using that at the moment and it is pretty good (not much of a difference when compared to antiquity 2 but some minor changes like diagrams and extended information under some areas like the agoge).

Excel is like ok.. I had a look at it from my school library and there was like some useful diagrams that antiquity 3 doesnt have such as the relationships between the different levels of governement in the spartan society.

evasharman

HSC
HTA Ancient history study guide!!! (if you do modern it's fantastic as well.)
if you dont have the "cities of vesuvius" text for pompeii and herculaneum it's really in depth... the excel books are pretty dodgy for most topics I've looked at, they're quite patchy.... Cambridge dotpoints is pretty good for "keeping it brief" and practice q's.

carmela300

HSC
HTA Ancient history study guide is great
Didnt use excel that much
Lawless has great books
Antiquity is a great foundation, most people use it, so explore other resources too so you find sources/evidence that makes you stand out

superberlicious

HSC
Lawless is fantastic for Hatshepsut (Also includes opinions of other Historians and so much archaeological evidence), so really it's an all round book.
Bradley covers New Kingdom Egypt from Amenhotep III to Ramesses II amazingly, there is a Pompeii and Herculaneum book that has a lot of detail, look at your local library. Antiquity is also well known and widely used.

adoratrix

HSC
N/A
The real best textbooks Ive found are the Ancient History Seminars books - really up-to date. Blitzed my last essay on Pompeii. Sparta book is cool - heaps interesting

adoratrix

HSC
N/A
Lawless is fantastic for Hatshepsut (Also includes opinions of other Historians and so much archaeological evidence), so really it's an all round book.
Bradley covers New Kingdom Egypt from Amenhotep III to Ramesses II amazingly, there is a Pompeii and Herculaneum book that has a lot of detail, look at your local library. Antiquity is also well known and widely used.
Stear clear of Bradley on Pompeii - lots of misinformation. She references books she clearly hasnt read - coverage of Lazer's work shows that. There bare better book

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)