Ancient History Textbook (1 Viewer)

ekat

HSC
Hi Guys :)
So I am currently studying the Personality of Pericles in Ancient History, however my textbook Antiquity doesn't have any information on the Pericles topic. Does anyone know if I can purchase an ancient history textbook with that topic or know of a textbook that has it?

Thankyou :smile:

grapegatsby

HSC
Greetings from a classics enthusiast still in prelims (but super excited about everything and totally ahead of things) :D

To my knowledge, there isn't a textbook specifically catered towards the option of Pericles in the HSC. I've come across an older textbook though (Personalities from the Past, published 1998? i think) with personality studies (including Pericles) in it, although I would be cautious in using it lest the information is outdated (also the curriculum changed I think in the early 2000s). It would be a good start though. I would also recommend three extra books: 1. The Cambridge Companion to the Age of Pericles (2007), Pericles of Athens and the birth of democracy (1990) and Pericles : a sourcebook and reader (2009). All three put together are a bit overkill for the course from what I can tell, but are brilliant reads. (Although take my information with a grain of salt for two reasons: 1. I am still doing prelims, and 2. I will not be taking the option myself and so my knowledge of the syllabus isn't great- I have checked it in writing this response though. but yeah, I have read quite a bit on Pericles and the Golden Age so hopefully you'll find some of these resources helpful!)

edit: and of course keep a copy of Thucydides close by haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)