• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

help!- bnw homework q's (1 Viewer)

Lexie1001

HSC
hey guys
my teacher gave me a whole lot of pages of questions on bnw to do this w/e....really sucks. im nearly done but im having trouble with two of them:

Look closely at the Director’s speech about individuality on page 121. Find words and phrases from the first 4 paragraphs of Chapter 4 that emphasise the way in which making a new individual is a mechanical process.
-> i couldnt find anything in the first 4 paragraphs of chap 4 that showed it was a mechanical process.

What do John’s memories of his mother when he was young highlight about the effect of scientific advancement on humanity in the Brave New World? (p165)
-> this bit seriously has nothing to do with scientific advancement...i have no idea what to say about it.

thanks so much everyone :)

l-mercedes-l

Has left the building :D
Thanks to everyone who went out of their way to he
HSC
The first question i dont think i can help with, i quite gladly gave my copy back several months ago. however it may be a misprint on your teachers part, i remember doing a similar task on the bokonovski {spelling??} process and words like centrifugal pump, sows peritineum etc took the human elements away from reproduction etc... just a thought.

Lexie1001 said:
What do John’s memories of his mother when he was young highlight about the effect of scientific advancement on humanity in the Brave New World? (p165)
-> this bit seriously has nothing to do with scientific advancement...i have no idea what to say about it.
detachment, emotional superficiality and shallowness, isolation? again perhaps you have the wrong page reference, maybe read the chapters the quotes are apparently in? some worksheets/study guides etc tend to refer to different editions of BNW and the pages are all a little out sync. however the question itself is reasonably simple, if you get stuck just answer it in general terms or find your own examples, every little bit of study like this helps at the end.

Lexie1001

HSC
k thanks...i just wrote some random stuff about scientific advancement but didnt relate it to the example. probably my teacher was off with the fairies when she came up with the q's lol.

almightyBZZZ

Snib Control Officer.
HSC
Okay...I'm a little confused because page 121 is chapter ten in my book...lol...

There's two types of language in Brave New World: Poetic and Scientific (poetic as in the savage quoting shakespeare, and scientific meaning all the long, forceful, complicated, sharp words of the World State) Talk about how the concept of a 'human' is described with scientific words, making humans more of a machine than a living, breathing, emotional being.

Then again, I dont have a reference so I cant really say anything more specific. Sorry hehe I rambled *shame*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)