• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

bnw/br - predicting the future? (1 Viewer)

bally24

HSC
hey everyone,
do u think that br and bnw predict the future or warn us about it?
the more i think about it, the more they seem like the same thing. ive decided that they predict what may happen to our society and our r-ship with nature in the future if we continue in the status quo, but in doing so are warning us of the effects of this. but this confuses me a bit when i think about it too much! id appreciate any other views! thanks :)

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
bally24 said:
hey everyone,
do u think that br and bnw predict the future or warn us about it?
the more i think about it, the more they seem like the same thing. ive decided that they predict what may happen to our society and our r-ship with nature in the future if we continue in the status quo, but in doing so are warning us of the effects of this. but this confuses me a bit when i think about it too much! id appreciate any other views! thanks :)
the purpose of bnw and br is exactly that.

IN predicting what MAY HAPPEN, which is what u see on the outside - the bleakness, the seperation of nature, the uneasy bond between man with science + tech, etc. - , the HIDDEN, IMPLIED AGENDA is that it is a warning to us. to warn humanity of the bleak future that may happen if the world at the time of release of these texts continued without change.

predicting and warning are two seperate things in their actual sense. its just that bnw/br happens to both predict and warn AT THE SAME TIME, although the composer's intentions are not mutually exclusive.

hope that clears it up for you, M.D.

STx

Boom Bap
HSC
BNW warns of the consequences of humanitys seperation from nature, but nature hasnt been completely destroyed in BNW, while in BR, it is the result of the complete destruction of nature.

Therefore, BNW, unlike BR, still presents a hopeful portrayal of nature and humanity’s resilience against the themes of totalitarianism, and consumerism. Scott comments on the environmental concerns while Huxley remarks on political issues of the time.

rockets

HSC
N/A
When comparing the endings of each text can't you talk about how each text predicts a different future and when discussing nature to humanity I'm a bit stuck here as what to exactly conclude. Can anyone help me???

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
rockets said:
When comparing the endings of each text can't you talk about how each text predicts a different future and when discussing nature to humanity I'm a bit stuck here as what to exactly conclude. Can anyone help me???
i suppose u can make the safe conclusion that in both texts, NATURE HAS LOST ITS VALUE AND RELATIONSHIP WITH NATURE. BR does so by its physical destruction, BNW does it through its propaganda-like conditioning through hypnopaedia, like a kinda of moral ignorance.

both do predict the same future IN GENERAL -humanity in the wild, lost connection with nature-, it is just that these worlds are viewed differently in its geographical, social and political sense.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)