Emma/Clueless quotes on themes (1 Viewer)

*Georgia*

HSC
Hi everyone, I am posting my quotes on some of the themes in Emma and Clueless here. If anyone has any more please feel free to add them!

Clueless quotes:

Wealth:
Ÿ Cher: “Daddy is so good he gets $500 an hour to fight with people!”

Dating:
Ÿ Cher: “Dion and Murray are in this dramatic relationship. I think they’ve seen that Ike and Tina Turner movie just too many times.”
Ÿ Cher: “I don’t know why Dion’s going out with a high school boy. They’re like dogs. You have to clean them and feed them and they’re just like these nervous creatures that jump and slobber all over you.”
Ÿ Cher: “If you make the decision to date a high school boy, they are the only acceptable ones.”

Popularity:
Ÿ Cher: “She’s my friend because we both know what it’s like to have people be jealous of us.”
Ÿ Josh: “Maybe Marky-Mark wants to use his popularity for a good cause.”
Ÿ Cher: “As far as everyone’s is concerned, you were the most popular girl in your school. And the fact that you hand with Di and I, well…”
Dionne: “That speaks very highly of you.”
Ÿ Cher: “Look like you’re having fun and you’re really popular.”
Ÿ Cher: “Tai being the most popular girl in school? It was like some sort of…alternate universe!”
Ÿ Cher: “I am going to take that lost soul in there and make her well-dressed and popular.”
Ÿ Dionne: “Oh my God, he’s way popular, he’s like the social director of the crew.”
Cher: “Yeah and his dad can get you into any concert.”

Class:
Ÿ Cher: “Di, why do you put up with it, you could do so much better.
Ÿ Amber: “She could be a farmer in those clothes!”
Ÿ Cher: “No respectable girl actually dates them.”
Ÿ Dionne: “Besides, it’s just local loadies.”

Snobbery:
Ÿ Elton: “Don’t you even know who my father is?”
Cher: “You are a snob and a half.”
Ÿ Elton: “Me and Tai, we don’t make any sense, right? Me and you, it makes sense.”

Consumerism:
Ÿ Dionne: “At least I wouldn’t skin a collie to make my backpack!”
Ÿ Cher: “Isn’t my house classic? The columns date all the way back to 1972!”
Ÿ Cher: “She died when I was just a baby. Freak accident during a routine liposuction.”
Ÿ Cher: “I have direction.”
Josh: “Yeah, towards the mall!”
Ÿ Josh: “You’re such a superficial space-cadet.”
Ÿ Cher: “I needed to find sanctuary in a place where I could gather my thoughts and regather my strength.”
Ÿ Cher: “God, this woman is screaming for a makeover!”
Ÿ Travis: “And last but no least, the wonderful crew at McDonalds, for spending hours making those Egg McMuffins, without which, I might never be tardy!”
Ÿ Josh: “Hey James Bond, in America we drive on the right side of the road.”
Cher: “I am, you try driving in platforms!”
Ÿ Josh: “Want to practise parking?
Cher: “What’s the point, everywhere you go has valet.”
Ÿ Cher: “Excuse me, but I have donated many expensive Italian outfits to Lucy.”
Ÿ Cher: “That’s the Persian Mafia. You can’t hang with them unless you own a BMW.
Ÿ Dionne: “Cher’s main thrill in life is a makeover. It gives her a sense of control in a world full of chaos.”
Ÿ Cher: “This is an Aaliyah. It’s like a totally important designer.”
Ÿ Travis: “I’m sorry about your shoes.”
Cher: “Oh those are so last season!”

Sexuality:
Ÿ Cher: “In the grand tradition of PE teachers, Ms Stoeger seemed to be same-sex orientated.”
Ÿ Tai: “I’ve never had straight friends before!”
Ÿ Cher: “I mean look how he ignores every other girl!”
Ÿ Murray: “Your man Christian is a cake-boy. He’s a disco-dancing, Oscar Wilde-reading, Streisand ticket-holding friend of Dorothy, you know what I’m saying? He’s gay!”

Emma quotes:

Wealth:
Ÿ “Emma Woodhouse, handsome, clever and rich with a comfortable home and happy disposition…with very little to distress or vex her.” (p7)

Class:
Ÿ “A degradation of illegitimacy and ignorance, to be married to a respectable, intelligent gentleman-farmer.”
Ÿ “Emma could not have desired a more spirited rejection of Mr. Martin’s prose.”
Ÿ She [Miss Hawkins] was good enough for Mr. Elton, no doubt; accomplished enough for HighburyShe brought no name, no blood, no alliance.
Ÿ “…they [the Coles] were of low origin, in trade, and only moderately genteel.”
Ÿ “[Emma] would improve her; she would detach her from bad acquaintances and introduce her into good society”

Snobbery:
Ÿ Mr Elton: “I never thought of Miss. Smith in the whole course of my existence.”
Ÿ “Those soft blue eyes and those natural graces should not be wasted on the inferior society of Highbury and its connections. (p21)
Ÿ A young farmer whether on horseback or on foot, is the very last sort of person to raise my curiosity. (p26)
Ÿ “They must be coarse and unpolished”
Ÿ “The yeomanry are precisely the order of people with whom I feel I can have nothing to do”

katiieeeeee

BOS Member
HSC
i may be wrong .. but i am pretty sure the quote were Tai says "i've never had straight friends before" is referring to friends who don't do drugs .. not friends that are heterosexual ..

priorpeter

HSC
katiieeeeee said:
i may be wrong .. but i am pretty sure the quote were Tai says "i've never had straight friends before" is referring to friends who don't do drugs .. not friends that are heterosexual ..
i think she's referring to having homosexual friends, because later cher uses the anecdote:
"it's one thing to spark up a doobie and get laced at a party, but it's quite another to be fried all weekend."

marasovic

HSC
priorpeter said:
i think she's referring to having homosexual friends, because later cher uses the anecdote:
"it's one thing to spark up a doobie and get laced at a party, but it's quite another to be fried all weekend."
She's refering to friends that don't do drugs. As if all her other friends were gay!

ibewatto

HSC
very much appreciated. i cant stand jane austen so this will save me alot of time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)