Plz help hamlet question (1 Viewer)

^emmie^

HSC
Hey ppl i have this english question n have no idea what to write for it any help would be appreciated

Analyse the use of descriptions and images in Hamlet (How does shakespeare use descripitive langauage to enhance the visual possibilities of a stage production? How does he use imergry to create a mood of tension,suspense, fear and despair)

thank you in advanced

Sam.

bored.
HSC
Don't know if this really answers your question, but these are a few dot points that I had from a while back. No examples though, which is what you really need. I'm finished now, so I'm not going back and reading through it again for you :) .

- The imagery that Shakespeare used was a reflection of 1601 theatre - a compensation for lack of elaborate props, sets, costuming and acting. It helped create a particular atmosphere and the emphasise importance of particular scenes/characters/discussions. Verbal illustration stirs imagination, deepens dramatic impact and allows for off-stage scenes to occur without performance.

- Shakespeare wrote for a thrust stage offering little or no stage directions, as far as we know. Staging did not incorporate curtains and there were minimal costumes and props. The actors did not seek realism but produced a representation of characters and events onstage, so relied on heavy descriptions to form personalities and events.

- Scenery in Shakespearean theatre was sparse, and as the plays were performed in daylight, the audience was as visible as the actors. This resulted in a greater degree of intimacy between actor and audience than in modern theatre, heightened by the rich use of description and imagery.

- Descriptive language also assisted in depicting the inner workings of each character's mind, particularly Hamlet's. Each soliloquy becomes a debate open for discussion, such as Hamlet's "To be, or not to be."

kristielee2233

HSC
^emmie^ said:
Hey ppl i have this english question n have no idea what to write for it any help would be appreciated

Analyse the use of descriptions and images in Hamlet (How does shakespeare use descripitive langauage to enhance the visual possibilities of a stage production? How does he use imergry to create a mood of tension,suspense, fear and despair)

thank you in advanced

i read ur question..
and ive been given the exact same question!
our teachers have been on the same website..
the actual question is off sparknotes.com
but i couldnt find answers so im screwed for it as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)