Bnw & Br Essay Help - Values??? (1 Viewer)

flatron123

HSC
N/A
Well the question is
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Comparing the two worlds portrayed by both composers, explore the values presented in BNW and BR?[/FONT]

I know it is such a broad question but i am struggling to answer it. Do i talk about the values of the societies such as stability or the questioning of the values i.e. human individuality and which values should i talk about??? I am so confused. Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Last edited:

Flage

HSC
When it talks about the values that are represented in texts you have to talk about a few different points:

The composer's values
The values of the society
The values of the composer's outer context

The question doesn't refer to the outer context directly but usually you have to include it in there somewhere, even if it's only minor. The composers are challenging and questioning their contexts after all.

In terms of the values of the society, stability is certainly a good point. Others can include capitalism, materialism, standardisation... whatever.

Personally, I think the composer's values are the most important, plus, there's heaps of information on it. Make sure to point out the differences between the texts - where in Bladerunner nature has been completely destroyed, in Brave New World it has simply become irrelevant.

suzy11

HSC
i have a related question about 'the composer's values' - the composer being Huxley:

is it true that Huxley was an atheist? is it significant? at times in the book it seems like he is criticising BNW society for forsaking god for science, but i can't see that being true if he was an atheist. is he instead trying to caution against scientific advancement at the expence of human morality - morality being separate and distinguished from god and the christian ethos? how would i examine that in an essay for the HSC? is it relevant or too involved for a typical essay?

thanks in advance guys :)

HSC
Being an athiest means that you don't believe in god. That doesn't mean that you are against the principles of religion. You can be an asthiest yet still be against disrespect for the dead/dying (John the savage's mother). Also, I think that it is more forsaking nature for science, the whole cutting the tops of the cross to make a "T" is just Huxley saying that they are worshiping science and the relationship between man and nature has been severed

Sorry if this doesn't make sense, I've got module paper tomorrow and my mind is pretty full at the moment. If it does make sense, I hope it helps :p

suzy11

HSC
that did help clarify things a bit, thanx :)

btw: T = symbolic of severance of man/nature v. insightful

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)