Please give me some advice (1 Viewer)

coolviv6

HSC
Hi all

I am not doing too well in english at the moment and am trying to practice writting essays in exam conditions. I am wondering if any of you have spare time can you read my in the wild essay and tell me where i am not strong enough as well as what mark it probably would get me. I have attached it to this message and i believe it is called HSC 2006

Thanks a ton in advance
Jeff

danz90

HSC
Skimming over your essay... I noticed that you tend to have short paragraphs which just analyse one quote.

Firstly, with your intro, I would mention the titles of the two texts, their composers (and year of production), and outline the textual themes in each which you can use to compare, and relate to the question. e.g. Manipulation of natural processes in Brave New World and Rampant Consumerism in Bladerunner, or vice versa.

Make sure you include the social contexts, which you've actually done, so that's good... but try integrate them into main body paragraphs.
With body paragraphs.. i'd suggest you have around 4 main ones...
In each body paragraph, make sure you include:
Topic Sentence - Include the question's key words here and directly address the question in relating a theme from one of the texts.
Context - Very brief description of which point in the text you are about to analyse.
Quote/Ref - Usually one powerful quote or reference is needed for a paragraph. Don't say "Huxley says"... it's through the characters that Huxley conveys his message.
Language - Never forget this. I can see you have a fair bit of lang. techniques in there.
What is revealed about society? - What general statements is Huxley or Scott portraying through this quote/reference or that particular scene, about society? Use fairly emotive, descriptive language here.
Relationship with natural world - Show some sort of link between humanity and natural world here. eg. Humanity has obliterated the presence of the natural world.
Closing sentence - Tie up most of your paragaphs ideas here, in directly answering the question, continuously nailing the question's key words in here.

Then, the following paragraph should have a comparative linking word, e.g. Similarly, Whereas, As seen in, etc etc. This is a COMPARATIVE module after all - if you don't compare for this module, regardless of the question, you're really really really dragging down your mark into a C range maximum.

Hope that helps.

coolviv6

HSC
Alright so i need to work on using stronger emotive language as well as add extra information into my introduction as well as use compare the texts more and in greater dept.

Any idea what mark this would have got me out of the 20?

Thanks
Jeff

danz90

HSC
coolviv6 said:
Alright so i need to work on using stronger emotive language as well as add extra information into my introduction as well as use compare the texts more and in greater dept.

Any idea what mark this would have got me out of the 20?

Thanks
Jeff
More importantly, focus on the criteria I highlighted in bold, and make sure they are integrated in a sophisticated manner in each paragraph. I would advise reading my post again lol.

If I was a HSC Marker... that essay would be around 12/20, maybe less.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)